[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Getting back in the hobby

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:23 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I've been interested in air guns for a long time - even had a Sheridan 5mm pumper several years ago that has gotten away from me somehow. After private conversations with Doc, I'm ready to jump back in the game.

Sheridan blue streaks are no longer made, so getting a used one leaves a fairly high probability it would need new seals. Looked that up on you tube to find it's pretty involved. A fellow who does it often made his own specialty tools just for that.

Then there's pricing. Not wanting to go overboard with spending, I did my homework to find the Crosman 362 looks like a good value. Available for around $100, I do believe I'll grab one after a few misc. household expenses are taken care of.

Then there are after market upgrades like a steel breech. Found them in the $40 - $50 range. I'll probably get one later on - I've found I get best results from gun upgrades if I shoot it stock first - then I can appreciate the benefits of changes.

Might be a couple weeks, but I will get one and post pics of the results. SW
pic1a.jpg
pic1a.jpg [ 25.07 KiB | Viewed 2318 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:41 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Good luck with it.

I'll have some info here a bit later on, about the steel breech up-grade.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:45 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

gotta get mine out and play a little ,

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:27 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

For those wondering what a steel breech is, and what it does, the following is an attempt at explanation...

Steel Breech in front, and stock plastic breech at rear.

Detail shot showing the 3/8" dovetail groove of the rimfire type.
This is the best method I have found for getting a decent scope onto a Crosman air-gun.
If you are like me, and mod for power, the plastic breeches end up tearing at the transfer port hole.
There is not a lot of material on the bottom of them.

To begin dis-assembly, first make sure the valve is discharged.
The compressed air coming out of the barrel has quite a knife edge to it, and serious injury is possible.
I simply point the barrel at the floor, cock the gun, close the bolt, and pull the trigger.
The screw in the photo above should come out first.
Cock the gun, and the sear will hold the bolt back while this screw is removed.
It is fairly tiny, and really doesn't bear much of a load.
It is a hex socket head screw, and allen key diameter size is less than a single millimeter.
.5mm, IIRC.
Loosen it with the short end of the allen key.
After it is broken loose, the long end of the key may be used for ease in backing it out.
These socket head holes strip easily, especially if the ball end of the key is used under force.
Tightening and loosening should be done only with the short, non-ball end.
After the screw is out de-cock the gun.
I usually hold onto the open bolt handle, pull the trigger, and ease the bolt closed, rather than dry firing against an empty valve.

Remove this screw....

...and lift off the rear sight assembly with it.

Carefully lift the barrel and breech upward as shown.
The barrel is a friction fit in the front band.
It is removed rear-ward, taking care to avoid the transfer port and hammer pin.
The barrel is also a friction fit in the plastic breech.
Pull it forward, and out of the breech.

Transfer port shown in it's correct installation orientation.
These sometimes lift off the air tube when the breech is lifted.

Detail shot of the transfer port.
The "short" end with bevelled edge goes down into the rubber seal in the air tube, while the "long" end goes up through the breech into the barrel hole.

Installation is a reversal of the above.
If a steel breech is being installed, there is a retainer screw for the barrel in the top of the breech. I usually leave the barrel retainer screw well backed off until the barrel and air tube are properly aligned with the transfer port, and the two other screws are run up.

Excellent instructions, and two different sized allen keys come with the breech kit.

And a last, totally un-related photo :bigrin:

Grading marks on a choked Lothar Walther barrel.
Yes, they used gold foil.
It likes high end competition grade wad-cutter pellets, naturally. :roll: :roll: ;)

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Last edited by Doc Sharptail on Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:03 am 

Great post! Thank you!

There's a steel breech install YT vid, but the guy's camera is 10 feet away and you just can't see what he's doing. Looks like this is within my mental means so I'll give it a shot after I shoot the gun for a week or two.

And the gun is ordered as of last night! :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:59 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:28 pm 

Can do with the pics!

I've got a scope w/ rings on a Marlin model 70 I haven't fired in forever which would go on this when I get the steel breech. SW

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:58 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

You'll probably find a slightly sticky dried preservative on the barrel and main tube.
Some people leave as is as rust prevention.
I personally do not like the "feel" of it, and card it off with some #000 fine steel wool and light gun oil.
I suspect it's actually a mix of preservative and uncleared cold blue salts, but that's just me.

The steel breech is a thin blue that has been properly finished, and only requires the occasional oily rag wipe...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:26 pm 

I couldn't stand it and ordered the steel breech and a few other small items from Pyramid. Now it's wait for mail to arrive like a snail. SW

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:17 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

The XX barrels seem to like the 14.3 gr crosman wadcutter and also the dome of the same weight from the same maker.

The most accurate I've shot are the JSB 18.1 gr Heavy domes in .22.
Un-fortunately, supply on these is a bit tight- and before that there was already a slight price premium on them.

I need to look around a bit myself, and get some orders placed.
I am low on pellets since the incident mentioned previously...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:52 pm 

Having never really been in the game, I'm getting quite a bend in my learning curve with air guns. Happened to see a vid about ratting with an air gun. Turns out there were several and very interesting, indeed!

Die hards sink actual thousands into ratting. High end pcp rifles (compressed air tank) big money night vision scopes possibly with thermal imaging. Vids showed that, but I'm not sure if the NV scope was thermal capable by itself. Big money minutely adjustable stand for resting the rifle... even big money camo clothing. (mostly for show AFAIC)

Load up a bag of magazines with pellets and go for head shots only. Now, that would be a hoot! But there's no way I could afford to jump in like that.

My spies tell me it's not hard to get permission for shooting rats at a grain storage place here in town. I'll be checking into that! SW

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:40 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

You should be fine with your .22 pumper, and some quality pellets with a reasonable scope of the 3-7X class for ratting. A/O would be better- something along the bug-buster class for that close-in work.

Anxiously awaiting your new a/g arrival and report.

I (ahem) too have placed an *order* :oops:

A new model scope for one (anyways) replacement, and a tin of border-line high "falutin" pellets.

We shall see in the next 4 or 5 days...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:12 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

im not going in that deep eiyjer but i would consider the rat shooting