Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:27 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I wanted a lighter load for my Moschetto than I shoot in my long rifles. Not just because of recoil - I was concerned for stock breakage. The moschetto stock is considerably slimmer than that of the rifle.

I used the Hornady 240 grain swaged lead bullet because of its soft alloy and stuck a .030 Walters veggie wad on the base with melted bullet lube hoping to protect the base from powder ignition.

Powder was 21.0 grains AA 5744 & OAL is 2.25".

This has very mild recoil and show accuracy potential. Due to the wind ( again!) I was not able to chronograph the loads. My target blew away, but I pasted a bowling pin 4x5 @ about 25 yards.

I just loaded all my brass for that again & hope to have another post in a few days with a target & velocity data. SW

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:30 pm 

Lo & behold, the wind was mild today, so off to the range after dinner to further test the moschetto load shown above.

Accuracy wasn't so great. I fired 4 shots @ 50M & the group - or pattern - was a rectangle about 2.4" X 4". From the moschetto, ( 17.5" bbl) three rounds clocked 1120, 1112 and 1097 fps.

Then I shot some 10.4x47R loads through a Vetterli long rifle. I used the RCBS heeled bullet & 22.0 grains of AA 5744. Airdale had mentioned how gas checked bullets seem to shoot better for him. I haven't a gas checked mold, so I stuck a 40 cal .030 veggie wad on the base of each bullet using melted lube.

It sure seemed to help groups!

I had some of that ammo left over & tried one round through the moschetto... recoil wasn't bad at all, so I fired 3 for group & they went into 1.5" with 2 touching! And that load shot to the SAME point of aim as the lighter load!

Velocity from the moschetto was 1103, 1119 and 1161. Pretty darn close to the lighter bullet velocity!

From the long rifle, the load clocked 1277, 1267 and 1263. ( 33" bbl)

While far from conclusive, todays results hint that a special lighter load for the moschetto really isn't necessary. For mine anyway. As always, your mileage may vary or your stock might crack. :-o

Might not, but proceed with caution anyway. SW