[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Reloading 577 Snider

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reloading 577 Snider
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:45 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I really got a bend in my learning curve with this caliber. I already knew about the bigger dies that require a bigger press... which I didn't have.

So I looked through Midway's stuff and see they advertise 2 Lee presses for the bigger dies: the challenger @ $51 and the cast classic @ $85.

Being cheep, I ordered the cheeper press and the Lee dies. Set the press up and guess what? You guessed it - the press wasn't big enough for the large dies. 7/8-14 only. So I called Midway & they said they only used the advertising copy Lee sent them. "Call Lee", the lady sez.

I called Lee who said Midway made a typo when they wrote their own copy. Back to Midway ( and sure glad they have a toll free number!) who said they would gladly take the challenger press back; no harm - no foul. So I ordered the cast classic. Which is the one I should have ordered in the first place.

Meanwhile... back at the ranch... everything is set up and away I go. Basic reloading - just on a bigger scale. And absolutley no data except for the original military load - 70 to 73 grains of Fg black. Which just happens to be the original load for the American 50-70 with a similar sized boolet.

I did a little homework and concluded that 30.0 grains of AA 5744 would get me in the ball park. And it did.

There aren't too many choices for boolet moulds. I went with the Lee ( cheep) 478 grain .578 diameter. Which cast boolets at about 470 grains from the alloy I used = straight wheelweights.

Man, that mold drinks lead like a camel drinks water after a week out in the Sahara! :-o I didn't want to monkey around breaking the mold in so I fired up my sight blackener which is just a miniature carbide lamp. Coated the interior with pure soot & the 1st boolet was good to go. Oh. I had left the mold on the edge of the lead pot to pre-warm it, too.

I realize there is dedicated mold prep stuff, but my carbide is already paid for... and ( dare I say it) I am too cheep to buy the real deal mold prep stuff.

A note I made in my loading journal - "use plenty of bell!" The Jamison cases are $3.63... each! :-o and I did NOT want to ruin one!

I made 10 rounds and went out to the public hunting area for a test fire. I had granular powder residue - 5744 is famous for that - but not to the extent I anticipated. The cases dropped from the chamber when I opened the breech block. No signs of pressure - very little recoil - not loud at all. Shot very close to the sights. Smacked a basketball sized rock 5x5 @ 50M. I am happy. :bigrin:

Since this was just a function test and we had company, no chronograph data or target this time. I'll post that later in the coming week.

I'm not quite done with the rifle, so no pics of it yet, either.

With any luck, this will save someone else a little trouble. The 577 Snider is sure fun to shoot!! 8-) SW

Attachments:
File comment: A fired case and the 470 grain hollow base boolet.
reloading577 005.jpg
reloading577 005.jpg [ 31.67 KiB | Viewed 20765 times ]
File comment: Cartridge size comparison. Left - 7.62x54R. Middle 577/450 Martini. Right-577 Snider
reloading577 004.jpg
reloading577 004.jpg [ 32.14 KiB | Viewed 20765 times ]
File comment: Shell holder comparison. Left - 9mm Largo. Middle - 50-90 Sharps or 43 Dutch. Right - 577 Snider.
reloading577 003.jpg
reloading577 003.jpg [ 32.4 KiB | Viewed 20765 times ]
File comment: Comparison of the die sizes. The standard 7/8-14 dies is the smaller of the two.
reloading577 002.jpg
reloading577 002.jpg [ 32.96 KiB | Viewed 20765 times ]

Post subject: Re: Reloading 577 Snider
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:24 pm 

Range report:

I can't say so much what works as what does not. I finally found my Accurate Arms loading manual & went with 50-90 Sharps data. The Lee hollow base 578 mold I'm using casts 440 grain bullets with srtraight wheelweights.

The first load I tried was 30.0 grains of AA 5744 and the 440 grain bullet. Soot all over the cases and plenty of granular powder residue. This load clocked in the 750 fps range. Not very consistent velocity.

Next I wenty with 35.0 grains of AA 5744 & same bullet. Not as much powder residue - cases not as sooty. Gained about 100 fps = in the 850 fps range.

Both 5744 loads were very mild - cases fell from the chamber - extraction was not needed. All bullets hit the paper if not the bull.

I had two cases left over and went with 777 black powder sub. Filled to just over where the base of the bullet rests, it was around 66.0 grains of powder.

NOW I had ahold of something! :-o Vigorous recoil! Bullets all impacted the paper. Mr Chronograph sez they were around 1400 fps. No signs of pressure on the primer, but I had to tap the cases from the chamber. No shoulder on the cases - pretty much blew them straight. I'm saying this load is a trifle stout and don't plan to try it again.

After I got home, I looked up the original specs in Cartridges of the world. A 450 grain bullet over 73 grains of Fg black is shown to have clocked at 1270 fps. So I'll check with a friend who also reloads 577 Snider & compare notes. If I have time, I'll try for a similar report on 577/450 from my tight bore Gahendra tomorrow. I need to clean the Snider stock some more as it was bleeding oil in a couple places.

I got to the range believing I had a supply of targets. Wrong. :? I rummaged around & finally found a ratty old 22 target. I had wondered about bore diameter, but I only had one bullet keyhole. I didn't have a regular range - I put the target on a big piece of cardboard & set it up between 35 & 50 yards. All bullets hit fairly close to piont of aim - I shoot Carcanos & that was a pleasant change! My scanner is acting up & the target doesn't show very well - the keyhole is marked with a K. There are 3 sets of two bullet holes touching.

Make of the data what you will. Hopefully, it will give you an idea what to avoid. SW

Attachments:
Zsnider1.jpg
Zsnider1.jpg [ 86.45 KiB | Viewed 20756 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:52 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

shoot just when i thought i was getting a grasp on the tail of this you have to turn and sink the teeth , i am overwhelmed with all there is to know and learn , but im trying to absorb all i can from the great posts here , i think i started too late in life

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:54 am 

Heck, this is the fun part! Working up data where none exists! 8-)

I like this Snider so much, I do believe I'll order another in the AM. Yak fat is an addictive substance. ;)

Every day, I toss all the quarters in my pocket on the top of the cabinet over the fridge. I could see the pile over the edge today so I got a step ladder & raked them in... and had just enough for a "Sgt Model" Snider. :bigrin: It's a little shorter than the rifle and supposed to be in a lot better shape from the box. SW

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:08 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i do like your rifle too , im tempted

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:08 pm 
International Man of Mystery

Great posts and fantastic shooting SW.
I love to read stuff like this.
Just keep it coming.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:41 am 

Like Wile E Coyote, it's back to the drawing board... 40.0/5744 and the 440 grain hollow base bullet flat did not work.

I had less granular powder residue and soot on the cases, but the group really opened up! And every other bullet keyholed.

Velocities for 3 shots were 1222 - 1196 and 921 fps. :?

Next plan: buy some actual Fg black powder. Might be a while - I don't get over to Cabelas very often. SW

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:40 pm 

No problem SW.
These posts are worth waiting for.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:00 pm 

I post even what does not work - hopefully it will keep someone else from trying the same thing.

I'm not big on actual black powder, but I keep hearing that and a 60 caliber round ball are the way to accuracy with this caliber. SW

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:24 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

BP is messy , but whatever works :D

as an aside there is nothing quite like that black cloud on the range and the smell of black powder is a heavenly scent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:42 am 

Wifey has other adjectives for the smell when I clean cases in the sink! :-o That's why I like 777 = it doesn't stink up the kitchen.

I see Midway has the Lee .600 round ball mold on sale. I do believe I'll order one right now. Find a new blade for my exacto knife & cut me some milk carton wads.

And!!! UPS sez my 2 band Snider is "out for delivery!!" :bigrin: I have a fresh can o' Easy-off oven cleaner ( blue can) ready to attack some yak fat!! 8-) SW

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:55 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:58 pm 

Yes - that's the kind. If you have a couple to spare, I'll put them to good use. 8-) SW

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:01 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....on the way by Monday... :bigrin:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:05 pm 

You are the man!!! :bigrin: :git: SW

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:29 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

who knew ? on the internet even the wicked witch of the west might find a better place to live .......oh yea , she got dorthys house didnt she :P oooooooooooopppsss

nice guy mario - cuttin wads is tuff on those blades now to find a supply of cutting boards ,

seriously - i was thinking one of those punch cutters for leather and such on the right size might be quicker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:17 am 
The Knife
The Knife

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:43 pm 

I use these for making wads for my Beaumont and Vetterli.
I don't know the English word for it.
The cardboard (Warsteiner) that I use is something we put these under a glass of beer at home or in a bar.
Don't know the English word for that either.
Depending on the load I use one or sometimes even 2 to put on top of the load.
Works great.
The red one is 11mm, but after dipping the wad in beeswax it fits the Beaumont case just fine.
Same goes for the black one, only this one is, after dipping the wad in beeswax, a little over 10mm.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:25 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

we call those a coaster - not at all sure why , but those gotta make a decent wad

those punches are exactly what i was thinking of to make life easier , but the gasket cutter might work just fine ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:23 am 
The Knife
The Knife

Those punches probably can be found at your local tool store or maybe farm store.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member