Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:01 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Success!!! :bigrin: I made it out to shoot my Gahendra just now and am very happy with the results!!! I slugged the bore 3 times and it came up .457 +/- every time. Long time loaders of this caliber said the 577/450 is typically not that tight & I very much believe that.

For some reason, this one is that tight. I used .458 hollow base bullets @ 400 - 405 grains made from straight wheel weights over 30.0/AA 5744. I still don't have any real black. Using the Lee dies, the bullets were loose in the neck after FL sizing, so I used a 45 Colt FL die to correct that just like I do for 43 Dutch Beaumont. Used a firm crimp.

Keep in mind that normal bore diameter for Brit Martini-Henrys is around .468, give or take. The Gahendras and Martini-Henry copies made in Nepal have tighter bores. As with any other cast bullet application, be sure to slug your bore and select a bullet .001/.002" over that diameter for a good gas seal. This will help accuracy more than I can describe.

I was out of targets & it was too late in the day to buy more @ wally, so I just grabbed a small box from the pharmacy dumpster & marked it with a sharpie. No measured yardage where I shot so I paced off a distance between 50 & 60 yards. ( it was rough ground)

Shooting with only my elbows as a rest from a picnic table, I got the group shown which was about 4" high @ the distance specified. I wasn't so concerned with group as I was with keyholing. That would have shown the bullet was too small for the bore, but happily, that was not the case.

Cases dropped from the chamber - hardly any soot on them - almost no granular powder residue which I believe shows the powder is buring efficiently in the barrel. Recoil was not a bit painful - the rifle is heavy enough to help. The Gahendra fits me really well, too. I'm 6-3 & had it in my mind soldiers from Nepal might be shorter... I dunno. A 577/450 cartridge is shown beside the group for size perspective.

Velocity for 3 shots went: 1297 - 1236 & 1300 on the money.

I don't mean that this report is the final word - far from it. It's a place to start. For other experimenters, the 1st order of biz is to slug the bore and select a bullet just slightly wider than that. - Just like any other cast bullet application. Make of the data what you will.

In addition to the target, I"ve shown how I reduced the neck diameter of the case with a 45 Colt FL die to hold the smaller bullet - a standard FL sized 577/450 is shown for comparison. I did this operation very carefully. Jamison cases cost $3.63 EACH, and I didn't want to ruin any.

If you are careful, cases can be made from the cheeper 24 gauge brass shotgun cases, but I was afraid I'd ruin so many there would be no savings.

I am happy with the results and feel I need look no farther for a standard load for this particular rifle. :grin: SW

*** all the standard caveats and disclaimers apply here.. don't run with scissors... etc & so forth! :wink: ***

Edit to add: given the odd design of the hammer, I do not recommend dry firing a Gahendra.

Attachments:
zMH 002.jpg
zMH 002.jpg [ 117.29 KiB | Viewed 5881 times ]
xGahendra 002.jpg
xGahendra 002.jpg [ 7.21 KiB | Viewed 5885 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:20 am 
The Knife
The Knife

To me that is good shooting with open sights.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:43 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

to me its probably unattainable , nice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:10 pm 

Did you ever watch "Little Big Man"? You have to do like Dustin Hoffman's sister told him... "get all snake-eyed"!! :crzy:

Focus on front sight... pres-s-s-s-s-s- the trigger. Follow through with the trigger pull... and have the targer close! :rotflma:

Really though, this and the Snider are actually fun to shoot. They are heavy enough that recoil is almost nothing, and when the big bullet hits a rock, the rock breaks!

I am a real sucker for odd stuff like this. More coming! :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:02 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

thanks for sharing it with us. don't dry fire any MARTINI HENRY. for a snap cao I take a fired case and pop out out the primer and insert into the primer pocket a lead pencil eraser, that will absoreb the shock of it botomen out when dry fired.