[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Time for another 22

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Time for another 22
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:49 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Had a few $ left from the trip and was wanting a 22 handgun. Andrey showed me his Walther PPK/S-22 and I really liked that. But when I looked into them, the slide is a zinc alloy which killed the deal for me.

As graceful as I am, I could drop it, and zinc is brittle enough it could break. So I went with this Ruger Mk IV. The big selling point was it's very left hand friendly. Plus, you can buy other uppers and swap them around.

Call me old school, but I like steel! ;) SW
pic1a (2).jpg
pic1a (2).jpg [ 54.59 KiB | Viewed 3940 times ]

Post subject: Re: Time for another 22
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 1:37 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Nice! I used to think the Mk II HB was hot stuff.

That should be an accurate bbl!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 12:06 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

very nice , i prefer steel as well and like the old rugers too , i prefer the mkI-II-III , but then ive never had occasion to hold the mkIV , it looks really nice with more of a 1911 grip than the older rugers , i think your going to be pleased

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 12:24 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 1:11 pm 

Advertising lit calls it the "22/45", and the grip angle is indeed meant to copy the 1911 angle. The big selling point for me though was still the left hand friendly feature. Besides an ambi safety, the mag release can be reversed.

Plus there's a ton of aftermarket stuff to pile on. After it's shot in, I'm considering a drop-in adjustable trigger group.

I can do a decent trigger on revolvers, but I steer clear of messing with automatics. SW

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 11:19 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Somewhere buried in my safe I have Mk II heavy barrel. I may have to dig it out
and play with it soon.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth ...... firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. When firearms go, all goes..."
GEORGE WASHINGTON

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 9:23 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i have two mkI and a mkII , im thinking its time to move forward and get a mkIII , one thing ive found with these old rugers - much like a timex they "keep on ticking" forever

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 10:33 pm 

You can hit the X to delete double posts. SW

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 8:11 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

got it - thanks :grin:

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:22 pm 

There was still a little $ left over from the trip and I'm a sucker for nice 22s. Made the min. bid on this and mowed the lawn. Came in to hydrate - happened to check... got it!

Walther Olympia - looks like a jaeger model possibly made in the late 40s by Hammerli. Time for a trip to the range with 22s soon! SW

pic1b (2).jpg
pic1b (2).jpg [ 50.92 KiB | Viewed 3854 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:30 pm 

One more item on the Ruger Mk IV. I despise magazine safetys and bought a replacement part online. The you tube vid claimed 20 minute installation.

Unless you're very mechanically inclined, don't believe it!. But extra assembly time might be because I went slowly so I wouldn't lose parts. And there are a couple spring loaded detents that will achieve low Earth orbit if they get away from you.

The big problem was I got it back together & it looked just like the vid, but it wouldn't cock. Took it apart 3 more times & gave up in frustration. Long story short, the hammer spring is a LOT stouter than I thought. Put a big thumb on it and 'bingo'! Back in biz! GTG!

But the YT vid is legit. SW

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 1:32 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:03 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

never handled the 22/45 but there is a separate forum for it on my 22 site so must be popular , guess ill have to check it out , always had enough 45s and 9mm 45s to satisfy that need , i do have a kimber 45 22convesion and a sig 1911 22 so ive not thought on it much ,

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 5:37 am 

On further research and discussion with the seller when I called to see if he got the FFL, it's a Walther Olympia Sportpistole 1925, and a very early one. (#14xx) It even has a screwdriver in the magazine for adjusting the front sight.

This model is featured in the first part of this vid. I don't think mine's collector grade, but I'm stoked to get it! SW

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 10:41 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Just a word of caution on shooting this:

.22's of this vintage pre-date high velocity ammo.
IIRC, high vel made it's first appearance about '36 or so.
I'd have to get into Fadala's .22 book for an exact date.
The main spring and bolt on this one may not be able to handle it.
CCI still makes a standard velocity cartridge which should work well.
I'd definitely avoid the high and hyper velocity fodder in this pistol.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 11:01 am 

I've got a case of Federal match that isn't too hot - I'll give that a try. Since it's in 22LR, the slide is steel rather than an aluminum alloy. SW

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:09 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

is it 22lr ? my histandard olympic model is 22short , that was the caliber i think in the early 50s , it has the barrel weights

i know nothing of the walthers and have never seen one available here , it looks like something i might go for

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:54 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 5:03 pm 

Got it today and I'm way happy with it! Certainly not collector grade, but it'll make a great beer can murderer. I only did a basic takedown to scrub mating surfaces and lightly oil wear spots. Mucho slicker now!

Screwdriver was still in place. I'll see how it's sighted before I monkey with the front sight, though. Really brightened my day after another trip to the dentist. :bigrin: SW

22w1.JPG
22w1.JPG [ 787.8 KiB | Viewed 3800 times ]

22w2.JPG
22w2.JPG [ 856.87 KiB | Viewed 3800 times ]

22w3.JPG
22w3.JPG [ 312.3 KiB | Viewed 3800 times ]

22w4.JPG
22w4.JPG [ 323.17 KiB | Viewed 3800 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:40 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I've got a Krico rifle around here somewhere with a very similar pronounced feed ramp.
It wants to double feed all the time- the return spring on it is likely gone from someone trying to use stingers in it.

The engineering that went into your pistol is quite evident.
Interesting way to make a medium h/b.
Those grips are something else!

Somewhat patiently awaiting your range report ;) ...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail