[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Another Puma

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Another Puma
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:28 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I often wonder about that pattern- especially the blade.

Several different makers had their own non-commemrative versions of this knife in the late 50's-early 60's.
Dad had a rather plain version by G-96 that was actually a pretty decent small game and bird knife.
Which reminds me I need a sheath knife for the field. Probably another CRKT bird/trout blade...

Dad's was one of those incredibly hard stainless blades. If it wasn't touched up on a regular basis, it became a real bear to sharpen.

Nice score!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:37 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

nice looking blade , ive not heard of it before this or the tom mix

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:29 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Got the 2 Pumas in today. Only 10 days from Budapest which is pretty darn good anymore. Both have seen use, but I'd already bought a tube of Puma metal polish and spiffed them up a little. Stuff works pretty well - next victim will be the pilot's knife.

Closeup of the puma head sure looks like the leopard seen on WW2 military swords. I've got one with red glass eyes & it's very similar.

Still no word on Kansas Jack. Probably just a Euro promotion. SW
knives3 001 (2).JPG
knives3 001 (2).JPG [ 1.16 MiB | Viewed 3368 times ]

knives3 003 (2).JPG
knives3 003 (2).JPG [ 879.47 KiB | Viewed 3368 times ]

knives3 005 (2).JPG
knives3 005 (2).JPG [ 1000.61 KiB | Viewed 3368 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:57 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I likes the drop point!

Kind of obvious where Schrade got the sharpfinger pattern from.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:06 am 

Here's a contemporary Puma I got recently. Puma "mini Game Warden". Tiny but razor sharp. Managed to cut myself just closing it. This will be a stocking stuffer for SiL.

Shown with the hunter for size perspective. SW
puma3 002 (2).JPG
puma3 002 (2).JPG [ 518 KiB | Viewed 3353 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:06 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

That Pilot's knife is beautifel.

Bern

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:01 pm 

Good to see you again, Bern! SW

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:15 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Good to be back. Been lurking a bit, keeping up with your photos.

Still have my old rifles.

Here is my latest fun shooter. Downside is these are used to shoot good guys. But it is great fun to shoot.

Attachments:
PSL  (2).jpg
PSL (2).jpg [ 125.24 KiB | Viewed 3292 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:26 pm 

My brother found Mom's class ring from 1946 and sent it for older daughter - who will give it to a grand daughter in turn. Included in the package was a gift Puma knife. It's smaller than my stag Duke so it's possibly a "Bear". Maybe.

IMG_0056 (2).JPG
IMG_0056 (2).JPG [ 44.62 KiB | Viewed 2337 times ]

Mom's class ring from 1946. Her initials are stamped in very tiny letters inside the band. There was another ring - looks like one to which she lost the stone. I'm glad to have them stay in the family! SW
IMG_0057 (2).JPG
IMG_0057 (2).JPG [ 62.04 KiB | Viewed 2336 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:56 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Those black scaled Puma knives usually have hefty price tags attached to them- for the original knives.

I don't see many around here. When I do, it's usually at a gun show, and priced into the un-obtanium range.

I did get another CRKT M-16 with the matte chrome blade this time. They were on sale, and I grabbed the second last one that Cabela's had in stock. Been quiet about it for the last few months- this one I'd like to keep. They've done away with the ridiculous safety lock- which is totally un-necessary on a liner lock knife.
Pic later.

Love the look of the Art Deco II jewelry. Too bad it didn't last. There are some very nice pieces around, and largely un-known.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:57 am 

The more I mess with the Puma the more I like it. In fact, it's my new daily driver. Found the date code & it's from 1989 so it's not a 'Bear'. But the blade lock disengages easily and it took a very sharp edge so it's a keeper! SW

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:31 pm 

Spent too much time cruising auction sites again. Found this Puma "Scout knife" on a Belgian site for a modest sum. I have connections in Belgium, and he grabbed it for me.

I thought this style was called a camp knife but no - Puma called them Scout knives for some reason. The colored spacers either side of the stag pretty well date it to the early 60s.

The steel has light oxidization, but I have a full tube of Puma blade polish and new felt bobs for my Dremel so it won't look like this for long. SW
Pic1d.jpeg
Pic1d.jpeg [ 126.8 KiB | Viewed 2272 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:46 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Interesting knife.

I've a good supply of felt wheels here myself, and really should try them on some of the rougher blades I have around here.
Do you use the puma polish with the soft wheels, or is that hand work only?
There's still a bit of Flitz around here somewhere.
I actually prefer the dark green valve grinding compound with the Dremel- it doesn't leave the lines that the others do, and it's made some fairly slick air gun sears for me...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:08 am 

I think hand polishing is actually the way to go, but I use my Dremel and try to not leave marks. I have hand polished Dremel marks before, but I don't have as much patience as I used to.

I checked on Puma knives USA, and it looks like they have a replacement scabbard for it.

Speaking of scabbards, while cruising the Puma collector site I saw mention very early Puma Tom Mix and Kansas Jack knives had a fringed sheath. Very scarce, they say. SW

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:12 pm 

Lo & behold, a collector was liquidating his Puma collection on eGun dot de. There were some obscure models and bidding was wild.

But my main man in Budapest got this one for decent money. There were a couple really nice old folder right behind it, and I think the big money guys were concentrating on those.

Whatever works - it fits right in with my assortment of stag scale Pumas.

Thanks, Tom! :bigrin: SW
pic1a.jpg
pic1a.jpg [ 163.59 KiB | Viewed 2213 times ]

pic1b.jpg
pic1b.jpg [ 126 KiB | Viewed 2213 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:07 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

That is nice!

Get it up against a tape measure when you have it in hand.
That blade style was made and designed to be used- by guys like us.
Looks like a very good field knife, if the blade is the length I think it is.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:21 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

that was a nice grab , so are these knives highly collectible these days ? if so i kick myself for all that ive let go of over the years

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:33 pm 

Certain models bring big money, and stag always increases value. There are a lot of Puma collectors - there's even a web site or two relating to collectible Pumas. SW

https://classicpumaknives.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:16 pm 

Got the latest one in just a few minutes ago and am WAY happy with it! Puma 210 745 from 1984. The Rockwell test sticker is still on the blade showing it's virtually unused. Thanks, Tom!! :bigrin:
IMG_0152 (2).JPG
IMG_0152 (2).JPG [ 57.44 KiB | Viewed 1952 times ]

Other side with model designation and "4 Star Stainless." Not sure what that is - Puma's version of 440C?
IMG_0153 (2).JPG
IMG_0153 (2).JPG [ 60.41 KiB | Viewed 1952 times ]

Shot of each side and in my hand for size comparison.
IMG_0155 (2).JPG
IMG_0155 (2).JPG [ 67.95 KiB | Viewed 1952 times ]

IMG_0156 (2).JPG
IMG_0156 (2).JPG [ 57.3 KiB | Viewed 1952 times ]

IMG_0159.JPG
IMG_0159.JPG [ 100.22 KiB | Viewed 1952 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:50 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

That's a nice and decent score.
About the same size as my every day carry gerber.
I am a habitual denim/jeans wearer, and that little knife resides in the "watch" pocket~ that way it's always with me when I need an edge...

Gotta keep an eye out for one of those.
Original Puma's carry hefty price tags here...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail