[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Went for it!

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Went for it!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:18 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

AR-2078-A

Incredibly accurate with a scope.

Decent sights came with it...

But they are a bit beyond my eye-ability. Lotsa fun though. Best group I did with those fancy sights was 3/4" off-hand at 12 meters. Much better with the 4-12X Bushnell Legend aboard.

It's gonna get a really decent scope. I'm thinking Bushnell Banner 6-24X Mil-Dot... just in case I hafta snipe a grouse 2 counties over :P

This thing has me really pumped. I can't put it down :crzy: They say you can't be a kid again-Hah!- I've solid proof otherwise!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

Post subject: Re: Went for it!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:28 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Those do look like match grade sights. THe grouses need to be checking the fine print in theor life insurance policies! SW

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:14 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

wow , thats quite the outfit , and it performs too ,

the sights are like the ones that cameon my kimber 82G government trainer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:31 am 
Major
Major

Thats a pellet rifle, correct?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:31 am 

Yes. Doc lives in Canada where EVIL firearms are tightly controlled. SW

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:48 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Does that rifle use a CO2 cartridge? Or is it set up With an internal pressure cylinder (IE the old Bicycle pump). If it is a springer air rifle you might want to find a air rifle scope. I found with mine that the spring slamming forward breaks a regular scope. It Is not a problem with the pump or CO2 type rifles.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:31 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

The platform is an improved copy of the old Crosman 160. I doubt Crosman ever envisioned a 160 like this. It uses two 12 gram co-2 caplets. Out of the box, it's at about 12 fpe with a 16 grain pellet in .22 cal.

Yeah, I'm in Canada. It's not as bad here as it was. Most of our long gun registry went out the window. Quebec is fighting tooth and claw to create their own. We still need permits and licenses for firearms- and there's no such thing as CCW here.

You in the U.S. are fortunate with your constitutional checks and balances over the government. Too bad we didn't deal with colonialism the way you have.

....Anyways :bigrin: I got the 6-24X Banner. This is starting to get a little spendy! Wife hasn't said anything yet.

I have a high pressure air tube here for it, and a few little parts that will bring it up to hunter class. All I need is the pump for it.
I'll get a couple more pics up. That 6-24 Banner is one of the greatest bargains ever...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:42 pm 

Doc,

Are you seeing any price changes from the buying frenzy here? Ammo go up? SW

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:18 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Whille I was waiting for my scope and rings to be brought up front, I did a little price checking. Traditional guns seem to have gone up a lot: I looked at a current production "W" tagged Miroku 94 in 30-30 with a 1300.00 price tag. Can't tell if that's stagflation, or an increase due to shortages...

One thing's for sure: the days of paying twenty bucks for a case of SKS fodder are long over. I'll know more after I attend the big spring show here- that's if I go...

There didn't appear to be any shortages- but I wasn't paying attention to things like .223 ammo. Gun counter was very quiet for a friday night. I was the only one I saw there. Ice fishing dept. is going bonkers though....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:21 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

post another phopto when you get the scope mounted , i am thinking on scoping my kimber for the same reason you expressed , i just cant see even with the great target sights anymore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:35 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

There's the 6-24X Banner. Adjustable objective is 40mm optical size, and the the reticle is a mil-dot that ranges true at 12X. This is the first Banner that gave me trouble. I had to use a soft grip tool to loosen off the turret caps. The elevation knob was factory installed crooked. Worst of all, this is the first Bushnell I've ever had to shim for elevation. But :bigrin: the optics are the usual Banner clear and bright. Both turrets clock properly around the grid, and zero back perfectly.

There's 3 RWS 14 grain Meisters, off-hand, kneeling at 12 meters.

I've got more work ahead of me with this AR-2078-A, and it's cousin 78 Deluxe :P. Gotta run them both over the chrony. The trigger grits a bit on the 78-D. I'll have plenty to keep me occupied for the next little while.

Incidentally, that AR-2078-A is an excellent rifle for shooting from the sitting position. I'm going to try and talk wifey into helping me make a doe-skin reverse apron- for field use...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:17 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

beautiful setup doc , thanks for the photos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:43 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I don't understand the details.....but it sure is pretty....or should I say "purdy"?
Either way...it translates to....very nice! Congrats

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:05 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

I have Banners on just about all of my rifles. The one I got for my Encore .223 barrel is 6-18 x 50 AO.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Banners have been a long time favorite with me. The optics are kind of hard to beat for the price. I only managed to kill one of them- the .17 Hmr special in 3.5-10X A/O. I had to work at it by putting it on a medium weight springer rifle.

I looked at the 6-18X 50. The plex reticle is a bit of a draw-back for me. It seemed to be a bit fuzzy around the outer edges- other wise, it would be a decent varminter. A good low light scope.

Just to give an idea of the scale of things:

The 20-78 fires a 14.3 grain pellet at 530-550 fps depending on temperature. Compare that to a standard velocity .22 long rifle with a 40 grain bullet at 1050-1100 fps, and you get the idea of the difference in retained energy. A bit better than a pea-shooter, but not even the equal of the 29 grain .22 short CB cap...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:00 am 
Corporal
Corporal

not bad

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:36 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

The pump is here. Put the HPA tube on the gun yesterday.

Ten year old grandson Bryan with the 20-78 with it's HPA tube installed.

There's me with the same rig.

I pumped the gun up to 850 PSI last night, and let it sit overnight to set in the internal seals.

It's probably going to be a couple of days before I get to shoot this thing. I'm expecting good things velocity wise- I ported and modified the valve.

Edit: dang, those pix are big! Photobucket is acting up. These are hosted on an airgun forum. I'll hafta see about re-sizing...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:18 pm 

You can eMail them to me if you'd like & I will do the deal. SW

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:45 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I'll probably have to, Steve. This machine crashed a week ago, and the image uploader with it's re-sizing don't work anymore. PITA.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:47 pm 

Somehow your link got me into the whole photobucket photoset & I wasn't sure what to save.

Here's Brian as mentioned above.

Doc1 (1024x768).jpg
Doc1 (1024x768).jpg [ 65.34 KiB | Viewed 8500 times ]

Doc can 'splain this mechanism.
Doc4 (800x600).jpg
Doc4 (800x600).jpg [ 58.97 KiB | Viewed 8500 times ]

Our favorite grouse & walleye murderer.
Doc5 (1024x768).jpg
Doc5 (1024x768).jpg [ 64.22 KiB | Viewed 8500 times ]