[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - 1903/14 Greek Mannlicher by Breda

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:14 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Small gun show nearby today. EllieC had a raffle table & I would have jumped in but tickets were a Benjamin so no dice. We talked for quite a while before I left to cruise the aisles. Insane prices on EBRs, AKs - ammo at a buck a lick ( and up!) etc & so forth.

Got to shooting the breeze with an older gent about his BPCRs on display. I was about to leave when he asked what I collect. "Italian rifles, sir." He asked if Breda was Italian & I allowed that's so. He handed me a Greek Y1903/14 with Breda on the side!

My poker face must have vanished because he offered it to me for a measley $795. :-o I hadn't that sum & after mucho haggling I got it for 500 OTD plus I threw in a Vetterli stock. ( Had very little in that) I'm sure I overpaid, but I've been after a rifle by Breda forever & this was the only one I've ever seen.

Now to sell some duplicates to get my Belgium trip $ pumped back up.

Paint me green & call me easy! :crzy: :crzy: :crzy: SW

Breda 001 (1024x683).jpg
Breda 001 (1024x683).jpg [ 351.05 KiB | Viewed 5225 times ]

Breda 002 (683x1024).jpg
Breda 002 (683x1024).jpg [ 291.28 KiB | Viewed 5225 times ]

Breda 004 (1024x225).jpg
Breda 004 (1024x225).jpg [ 172.02 KiB | Viewed 5225 times ]

Breda 006 (1024x192).jpg
Breda 006 (1024x192).jpg [ 156.05 KiB | Viewed 5225 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:29 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

:-o :-o :-o ....Wooo-Hoooo...!! :-o :-o :-o
.... :grin: :grin: :grin: ...you be easy...!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:
....I'm sure you sleep happy tonight...congratulations :jmp:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:55 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Belgium? Choclatiers! I hope you get to go. Liege, by any chance? Not sure how much of the old F/N operation is left...

Nice score, and I like the looks of that wood. Lookin forward to seeing it post clean-up/B.L.O.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:57 am 

Doc,

Liege isn't on the itinerary at this point. I'm hoping to visit Verdun and Ypres, though. I would like to get in on a chocolate factory somewhere. My spies are letting on that Belgian chocoloate makes Russel Stover seem like cat kibbles! ;) :rotflma:

But the trip is over a year out so nothing's chiseled in stone at this point. SW

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:59 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Nice snag Hogger.........BUT.......

I know a guy who can fix that for ya.

He'll cut down that barrel, grind off those ugly receiver markings, install express sights & a scope mount, flatten & bend that bolt into a butter knife, install set triggers, reblue the metal and reshape the stock to turn that old klunker into a proper sporting gun :P

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:13 am 

Well, if the deal included a piggy hunt I might consider it! :P :lol

Did some google-fu to find Breda got like 100,000 receivers from Steyr & assembled rifles from parts. As far as I can tell there just aren't too many of these around.

I've always wondered why Breda didn't make rifles for the Italian army. SW

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:49 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Yep. Even less of the Steyr produced pieces

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:53 pm 

Here's my fave Breda pic. You can almost hear the big radial clattering away. SW

zFly12.jpg
zFly12.jpg [ 279.74 KiB | Viewed 5202 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:35 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Glad I got to see it person! You were like the kid that found the secret decoder ring in the mailbox :Dbounce:
I wish I knew just a smidgen of what you guys know.....it always amazes me, I wouldn't have had a clue what I was looking at.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:21 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

And the actions (at least on the Steyr) are slicker'n snot! Slicker than the Krag.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:06 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

really ? the krags are an awful smooth action , ive not held one of these tho , guess i should look at the next one i see

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:12 am 

IMO, the Kropatschek is slicker than a Krag, too. And yes, this Breda is WAY slick! SW

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:13 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I was going to mention the sporter conversions, but decided against it- there are few of these rifles left in full mil-surp configuration. I suppose it dates me, but the old greeks could be had for 25-30 bucks a piece, when I was just getting into the shooting game. The split receiver ring kept me away, personally. Had enough of the side mount deal with the old smle...

Ypres- where we became a mature military force. You'll likely see a lot of stones marked PPCLI with a maple leaf there. Verdun, too, but Ypres was the big one for us. It's a good thing trench war-fare has gone the way of the horse mounted cavalry....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon