[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - My finds at the WAC gun show today

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:08 pm 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

Gun shows of late haven't been too promising. Stuff on the tables was ridiculously high, especially ammo. I won't go into all the incriminating examples. Good revolvers scarce.

There was one table in the Sat. only section with lots of old and very old, mostly European revolvers and pistols. Some stuff I recognized from my Nazi gun collecting days, such as Hungarian P.37 with German markings, Czech CZ27 (never liked them), Hungarian 37M, a couple of antique but smokeless powder revolvers that I didn't even come close to recognizing. All at discouragingly high prices and condition NRA good on the best pieces. I saw his stuff at 0800, and by 1100, I don't think he'd moved a single piece. It's one thing to cash in on a rush, but the target price is too high if nothing is moving.

In all of this bad news, I actually found a few items that I could buy. One young couple had driven all night from Lewiston, ID with a trunk-load of ammo and bullets. I got the following from them at very reasonable prices.

In this bunch, there are 200 ea .308 150 gr. psp bullets. 200 ea .358 148 gr plated WC. Note the double cannelure. 50 ea .308 180 gr. bullet, the seller told me this was a Speer bullet, a solid with a tungsten core, like an African Grand Slam but I didn't know they made those in .308. They look like pulls from loaded ammo and it may not be available to handloaders. 200 ea lead .452 bullets. Yes, I cast my own but these were cheap and irresistible.

Note I said these people were from Lewiston, ID, and that happens to be where Speer is located. They had a bunch of other stuff; they had some of their own stuff and some that belonged to friends. The man said, "We decided to sell while the tide was high" but his prices were way too low. About like six year ago retail prices. The buyers were lined up at his table as if he were giving away gold coins. I was fortunate to spot him early.

180 gr. .308 bullet, solid with tungsten core.

Base of same bullet marked "T".

.358 plated wad cutter.

On another table, I found this box of 20 gauge shells for $5. It was priced at $5; note the original price of $3.68. This was a short box, missing one cartridge. Typical hunter's inventory. Goes to the field with one box, uses one, goes home.

Toward the end of the show, I ran into a member (non-table holder) who had this Smith & Wesson Model 34 (.22 Kit Gun) that he wanted to sell. We negotiated a bit and I bought it from him. This gun follows two ancient truisms, "You can't have too many Smith & Wessons" and "You can't have too many .22's."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:00 am 
The Knife
The Knife

Looks like you done good.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:06 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I really like the kit gun! SW

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:02 pm 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

S&W "Kit gun" = you get a bag full of parts and get to assemble it yourself. Actually, the name comes from it being sold as something a hiker or camper might carry in their "kit." You guys prob. already know this.

Over the years, I've had quite a few S&W J frame revolvers. Mostly Mod. 36 .38 Specials, a few .32's (Mods 30, 31). Never quite the .38 S&W (Mods 32, 33) but would've liked to have had one. .38 S&W (not Special) likes to be handloaded since factory ammo is so often way undersized as to bullet for reasons of safety in older revolvers. The .360 bullet isn't common, but not impossible to find and some .358 bullets will work fine. Like a HBWC seated to the depth of a RN. The hollow base flares and seals.

However, I don't remember having a Model 34 previously. But I could've had and forgot about it.

Back to the .38 S&W. Lots of people write this one off as a loser cartridge. Handloaded, you can get more out of it. And for defensive shooting, it must be remembered that bullet placement is the #1 important factor. A lower powered cartridge is easier to keep on target, especially follow-up shots. You don't need a .500 S&W to do the job.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:53 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I like the K-22 as well. The old man had one. Until the single six came out, quality 22 revolvers were on the scarce side. That little pea-shooter of Dad's accounted for many a grouse, while he was on stand for white tails...

Looks like you did good with the bullet purchases.

.38 S&W was pretty commonplace around here, due to the war II bring backs- mostly webley's and the odd M&P. Those home cast w/c's were plentiful, and accurate...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:19 pm 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

Doc, the Kit Gun is on the J Frame and the K-22 is on the medium (K) frame.

I also have the .22 Masterpiece (Model 18) which is the 4 inch barrel version of the K-22. The .22 Masterpiece was originally sold as a practice gun for LEO's carrying the .38 Combat Masterpiece.

Formerly I had a K-22; it's sole use was shooting the odd woodpecker down from under the eaves that refused to leave the cedar siding alone. I loaded it with #12 rat shot; that tiny shot will kill the bird but won't hurt the building.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:56 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i envey you the 22 and the S&W if it makes you feel better ...... if not , i still do - i love both