[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - S&W 38 Special Model 10, NYPD Service Vet.

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:50 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Just picked this off GunBroker. Seller says it was a NYPD service revolver that was retired. Steve said it would be a good pistol to practice target shooting with since it likely didn't get much actual use. Now I have to practice, practice, practice. I can hear the whip all the way from great plains………...

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/386269000/ ... 903476.jpg

Had to give up an extra Chilean Mauser in 7mm to afford it. Sold it back to my neighbor for the same price I paid him. He sold it for me for a song and I returned it singing. Its nice to know somebody who is close to the gunsmith at Gander Mountain.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:59 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....I've got about 100 .38 special wadcutters you can have to practice with ....free...if you're interested... ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:17 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I shall email you my address for those wadcutters. Looks like I'm die shopping this weekend. Oh, got any brass? Help, help, help.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:34 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...it would be cheaper (and a lot faster) in person...you are only about 1/2 hour ride away...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:40 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

that's a nice looking revolver , congrats on that one

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:50 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Thanks kindly. My P-1 (post war P-38) tosses 9mm cases all over the place and isn't all that accurate and my No2Mk1 Enfield tankers revolver only fires double action as the thumb piece for the hammer was removed so people inside vehicles wouldn't accidentally shoot themselves by having it catch on their uniform. This is a huge step up for me. I'm sooooo incredibly sick of conceal carry people hogging up the range at nice paces. I want to do some pistol shooting at 25 yards. I see too many people practicing with their AR-15's at that range, YIKES.

Best Regards,

Mark

That little green guy is going to follow me around, isn't he?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:58 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I made it a long time ago & this is the first time I've had a legit chance to use it. ;) But okay - Yoda is off to Tatooine now. SW

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:48 am 
The Knife
The Knife

Mark
I have some 38 special cases that you can have also. Don't have a 38 or 357 mag now.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:07 am 

Something of a 38 special nature is already enroute. Front sight.... Pressssss! SW

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:57 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Hopefully the gun will reach here on Monday. Its coming from Staten Island actually. I really hope the NYPD stamped something on it. That would be nice.

Best Regards,

Mark

Hopefully my front sight will support coinage…… The Enfield and P-1 move all over the place, especially if I use one hand. I do have a 101st AB vet able to teach me a proper grip at work.

Hope to wheel and deal my Swiss K-31 for partial credit on a 1911. Wish me luck with my new dealer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:25 am 
The Butcher
The Butcher

I have one with a 2 inch barrel (might be 2 1/2 I don't know for sure).
That one is pretty accurate and easy to shoot with 38 wadcutters.
Full load 38 specials are a bit tough on the hand due to the skinny grips.
BRGDS, A

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:40 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

So, flat nosed wadcutters are accurate? I would have never have guessed that.

I did receive some nice stuff in the mail from the Great Plains today. Now to get a set of dies tomorrow, er after I sell my Chilean Mauser to help pay for this new pistol. Time to sell some other rifles to deserving cash paying customers. Ummh, probably rather just trade them.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:49 pm 

Hollow base wadcutters are da bomb! 148 grain HBWC over 2.7 grains of bullseye = match target accuracy. Shot many thousands of those, I have! SW

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:54 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Aerodynamically I cannot fathom that. The wind tunnel tests say, "WHAT?"

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:01 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

If you don't like a wad cutter you could get a Kieth based semi wad cutter.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:19 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:18 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Sooooo many choices, so little knowledge…..I shall try some wadcutters for sure. I shall also look into those Keith wadcutters. I can understand the gripping the rifling part on wadcutters, that looks logical at a glance. I'm just used, to round or pointy things flying out of my barrel, flat is a new concept to me. Since I'm into aircraft, flat is the first shape you throw out when you design an aircraft, unless you have a rotary/radial engine, then you just suck it up and enjoy the horsepower.

Thanks for the tip on velocity. No chronograph available though.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:40 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i think we are talking two different velocities here , you have very fast and you have slower and accurate , its all a trade-off in the end , at 600-800fps or even 900-1200fps its not really about aerodynamics as much as stabilization , particularly at 25-100 yards , and when you are talking about a handgun - maybe 3 yds , just sayin ....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:12 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Just got my grubby little squirrel hands on the new pistol and she looks every bit the revolver a cop used daily at work, worn but still very useable. On the inside, Steve was entirely correct when thought it was hardly used, as the bore is mirror bright and the cylinder locks in tight. The trigger pull in single action is fantastic, far better than anything I ever handled, except my buddy's 1917 in 45ACP with an unsafe hair trigger (A whole lot like Elvis in fact. We know which M-44 that is don't we Steve?).

The dealer I did the transfer with even gave me 40 once fired cases he had saved.

I have not shot this diamond in the rough yet, but I'll give a range report when I do. Most likely, it will be at the Freezing Der Heine Off shoot in Gibsonburg, Ohio in Jan weather and work permitting.

Got to sleep now.

Best Regards,

Mark

BTW, Everybody does get used to Elvis's light tough and tend to like it. The first one is rather "exciting" though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:51 am 
Major
Major

That is the heavy barrelled model.
I have a mdl 10 with the tapered barrel.
Would have preferred the original grips.
It has a beautiful double action pull.

Attachments:
S&W Model 10-5.jpg
S&W Model 10-5.jpg [ 33.26 KiB | Viewed 8186 times ]