[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - I Finally Got One

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I Finally Got One
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:34 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I went up to the CMP store today and bought a rack grade M1 Garand. I've always wanted one, but my previous range doesn't exactly have much of a connection with the CMP, but my new one does, so I filled out my paper work and finally bought one direct from the store. It was about a three hour drive, but worth it. Luckily they had some acceptable rack grade rifles in their store, or else I was going to get a fully refurbished model costing twice as much with a new barrel and stock set. It was good to skip worrying about shipping the rifle and paying a transfer fee. I studied at Bowling Green State University, so the ride up to Port Clinton covered a great deal of previously well worn road for me.

If anybody can give me some advise of what tooling I should get to properly maintain her, I'd appreciate it. They had tooling in the store, but since I know little about Garands at this time, I declined to get any. I also managed to pick up 192 rounds of M2 ball on clips in four bandoleers, so I have plenty of reusable clips to use down the road now. I'm looking forward to having them ping out of the rifle at the range. Ah, the unique features of a M1 Garand to be savored.

Best Regards,

Mark

Post subject: Re: I Finally Got One
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:04 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

.... :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :jmp: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

....details...pics....REQUIRED INFO... :Dbounce: ...no Luddite excuse permitted..

....may be able to help out wit some...I do have lotsa 'o-fficial' Garand grease....and books....I gots good reference/info books :Dbounce: ;) :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:06 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....AND.....BEWARE OF GARAND THUMB SYNDROME...!!!!! :rotflma: :jok:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:27 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I'll need to get together with you and see about tearing her down to get to her wood as well. Surprisingly, CMP rack grade M1 Garands aren't in horrible condition, well, unfixable/can't spruce up condition. The insides look well taken care of and oiled, but the bore still needs more cleaning/scrubbing and the stock can use work. Nothing I haven't done better on other rifles.

Looks like she is a Springfield armory model made in April/May 1945.

Oh, I once came real close to getting a Garand thumb when I shot a whole clip out of one. That went a bit too fast for me and I stopped thinking about getting one as it would eat me out of house and home, well, stop me from getting more milsurps at then current low, low prices. I think I choose well for the time. Good to have gotten the M1 now though.

On another front, looks like I'm headed to Copes for an Anderson made AR-15 stripped receiver this Friday. Best to get the receiver now and built it later. AIM has cheap Israeli made .223 NATO spec ammo these days.

No pictures for now. If the man in Nebraska can help me shrink my pictures, I might be able to post some. Right now my camera and MAC-MINI don't handle posting well.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:12 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Easy-peasy! You send pics & I'll adjust them and post.

Good grab, by the way! I've had 3 Garands over the years, but being left-handed, I don't get along with them too well. SW

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:55 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I think I was just slapped intellectually by a gauntlet of some sort..... Good thing college basketball doesn't agree with me....

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:00 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Ummh, cannot find camera.... This is going to be more difficult than I imagined.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:22 pm 

Ta daaaaaaa!!! :Thnku: :Thnku:

There was a 3rd pic, but the format was such that I have a mental image of a young SwihartMark who colored outside the lines! ;) :P :bigrin:

Sweet rifle!!! SW

Marks m1.jpg
Marks m1.jpg [ 187.99 KiB | Viewed 5360 times ]

Marksm2.jpg
Marksm2.jpg [ 63.14 KiB | Viewed 5360 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:11 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

nice grab , it looks to be in very nice condition ,

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:41 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...isnt it a neat thrill to go into CMP and see all those Garands in racks...?...oh,wait...its been a while sice I was last there and back then the "cage" was jam packed full of them....the supply has dwindled since then :-? ...was it still set up that way?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:38 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

That's a sweetie pie.

There was a time when both major gun dealers here had them sitting out on the floor in whiskey barrels for 65.00 a piece, and I did not bite~ this being the time that the tanker BM-59 could be had for 100 and change. I didn't get that either, having had a serious case of wrenchesteritis...

Your gun is in much better shape than the c.a.i. marked beaters that were here. They looked like they had been on a long, hard, rough slog...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:24 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

The CMP is now mostly stocked with former sniper models starting from $935 for a rack grade. My standard rack grade ran a total of $560, but early Saturday morning there were only around 7 of those offered up. Some special grade total refurbished models were offered up for $1030 and I thought I would have to get one of those. I was actually lucky to run into rack grade. Some of the sniper models went as high as $3035 without a scope to boot.

This is why I finally bought one as I think the CMP will run out of M1s within a few months. When I called Thursday they said they just got in 50 Special grade and a handful of rack grades. Good thing I left for the CMP at 7:00am Saturday morning. I only saw around 20 special grade ones.

They were still awaiting a shipment of those promised 1911's passed in the last budget. I did pick up 192 rounds of M2 ball on clips and bandoleers for $115 in a sealed can. It was that Greek made stuff, HXP stamped. I did see some .22lrs and 1903 drill rifles and they had barrels and other stuff you could get for the M1. I don't see them having M1's around at the end of the year now.

Hopefully, I'll get this one looking better and see how she shoots. I choose this over an AR-15 without much thinking. This has far more character and I like character.

Best Regards,

Mark

BTW, as for all the cheap milsurps back in the day, well I had a young kid in the house so I waited till she grew up more before I brought a gun into the house.