[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Haystack Express

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Haystack Express
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:17 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

A USPS box came to the door yesterday, courtesy of a certain r/r type down in the Nebraska buttes. :P

Customs didn't monkey with it too bad from what I can see. Might have had something to do with the 11 lbs of packing tape and foam padding Hogger put around it. :bigrin:

Cool factor is extremely high on this. I can't think of any kid who wouldn't be proud to have this on his Glenfield 20, or Glenfield 60.

It's mostly japanned brass, except for the ocular "recoil" ring, and the turret caps, and the mount.

Mount is steel, and a direct copy of the old Mossberg 4-M series mount. There is a cross hair levelling stop on the r/h side of the mount.

Ocular section is a dead ringer for those found on the 3/4" tube rimfire scopes Dave Bushnell was importing in the very early sixties.

Optics are surprisingly clear for a 15MM objective scope.
The only mark I could find on the entire thing is a dent in the brass screw-in sunshade. It doesn't appear to affect the image at all. Scope looks un-mounted and n.i.b. other-wise.

I'm a sucker for these oldsters- still have the marlinitis/weaver bug. Acquisitions have been low of late, due to the hyper inflated prices the Kenna era guns and accessories now command.

There it is next to a 300-A Marlin 4 X 32MM. From what I've been reading, this is the scope that was packed with many a 336. Sort of suspect there may have been a Glenfield version of this as well. Both scopes superseded the Micro-Vue line...

If I ain't too bushed after work tonight, I'll settle her into a pneumatic .177. and see if I can't get her to group. Factory set reticle focus wasn't all that far off what I require~ probably set by another far-sighted old geezer ;)

Big thanks to Steve for getting this over here! :grin:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

Post subject: Re: Haystack Express
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:03 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

very nice , i can think of a number of places that would look terrific , but i bet it will look fantastic where your thinking it should go , congrats

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:14 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Been thinking about this a lot- especially after the success I had with the Weaver G-4 on the 52....

It may end up on the '54 39-A I have here~ or better yet, find a Glenfield marked Marlin to put it on. Right now, I'm leaning more to a bolt gun for it.

Haven't had time to do the air rifle mount and test yet. Perhaps this week sometime.

Difficult time of year for me. Fishing season is almost 2 weeks old...

I have to look for a 4M series Mossberg scope now. Got a medium weight lakefield/cooey .22 single shot that's scopeless~ and there's a semi/full beavertail fore-end on it.

So many projects, so little time :ow:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:53 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Fishing season! Might do some of that myself this year since Nebr has a $5 hunt/fishing license for geezer vets. I'll watch garage sales for a l/h recurve bow & see about sticking a few! :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:50 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Carp and suckers are legally "arrow-able" here. Bow only, and no crossbows, or pneumatic bows.

The big carp are readily visible in Sturgeon Creek come evening/sundown.
Have heard of guys harvesting carp with .177 air rifles. If I could time it right, probably take one with the 92-F clone when they nose out of the water at night. Good way to get arrested though...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:14 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i like that cooey idea , they are generally an accurate single shot rifle [i know mine is] and with a scope ypou have the perfect package ,

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:41 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Nice rifle! The #5 J/C ain't too bad either.

You and I have the same Cooey rifle. Yours is the trainer military version with hand guard, nose cap, and bbl band. Is there a bajonet lug on that nose cap?
Mine is the commercial civilian version with no handguard, bbl band, or nose cap. Same 28" bbl and action, and perch belly fore-end. Mine could probably use a .001" chamber set-back, and a new crown. It leads at the leade- there's a bit of a step there. Still not bad though- it'll do 1/2" at 25 yds with ammo it likes.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:43 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

you pegged the rifle , they are beautiful handling firearms , mine shoots far better than i can , it has seen little use , i mounted the scope using the original sight mountings so when i removed the scope she went right back to original , i moved the scope to a commercial 22 i liked having the scope on , and this one went back to outshooting my ability with the irons [both the rear ramp and the peep] i did put the scope on a similar design ruger ,

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:46 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

You have some very nice .22 rifles there, Sir ;)

Didn't know the Ruger 10-22 International was available in stainless/laminate.

The old Mohawks are steady campaigners :bigrin:

I still want a Win 52-C International. That was a rifle with a short life- and the D's and E's that followed terminated with the end of the line in 1980. I guess USRAC didn't have much choice- what they bought from Olin was bleeding a ton of red ink...

If I ever get time, I should re-photo and post up my .22 line :crzy:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:23 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

thank you for the compliments , i do have a lot of 22s - i collect/accumulate and have a whole lot more that never come up in conversation except on the 22 venues , i dont make a big deal about what i have , most of mine are shooters and even less , it seems i cannot pass on a nifty 22 that i dont have , ive bought some real oddballs , and some very interesting and valuable pieces , some of my favorites are the least desireable and cheapest i own ,

that ruger international was a one off for me - i wanted a ruger as i had seen them as a kid , in rifle form but not this stock , it caught my eye and had wanted one but never saw that one , it was an item my wife liked - she likes green stuff , i had hoped it would get her to shoot with me - we all dream things , very few come true , she does like the rifle tho ,

i started out collecting what i always wanted as a kid , then expanded to what i remembered as a kid and eventually extrapolated to anything that was different and interesting ,

my heirs are going to have their hands full of 22s , i have documented but im pretty sure they dont care enough to love them as i do , i have a lot , both rifles and handguns , i do enjoy them ,

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:38 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

To return however briefly ;) to the original subject...

What a kick in the pants :bigrin:

That's 5 of the rws meisters at 12 paces. Postal match, anyone? :P
It's got click stops on both turrets, and they are quite tactile.

There it is on my home built franken .177 pneumatic pumper. Couldn't mount it properly on account of the breech band that holds the action together. There's just one mount clamp claw in use there.

This one's a shooter, and a far cry from a scope drawer queen 8-)

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:52 am 

You could decapitate gnats with that! Excellent combination!! :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:30 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

yes that combination seems to work great together , and you shoot well too :grin: