Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new boots ?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:49 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

so im not sure exactly where to post this ...

i bought a new pair of cowboy boots - not bought anything in years , they came with instructions that say "..they need to fit the front of the foot , expect a little heel lift - up to 1.2" .."

im ok with that , but ive never had that before , most of my boots were tight to start and worked in as you wear them , i ordered the way they said , they fit perfectly in the front , only the heel seems a little loose , im worried of blisters with prolonged wear , should i be ?

this has got to be the first new pair of footwear in a number [like 10] years , i just wear my stuff till it dies , i really like these , but i dont want to exceed the return policy , i fear a half size smaller will cramp the front of my foot and never stretch to fit , any thoughts here ??????

Post subject: Re: new boots ?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:40 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

You could try a little duct tape on your heels until you feel they're getting broken in - that prevents blisters.

What brand? I used to wear Dan Post & Acme - no problems with either. SW

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:35 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I always liked acme's real riders~ with the angled riding style leather heel, and the cat's paw heel caps. Last pair had a long life, between 12 and 15 years.

Pricing's getting scary on them now- in Walmart runners now when I'm not working.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:38 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I usually wear Justins.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth ...... firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. When firearms go, all goes..."
GEORGE WASHINGTON

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:18 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i have a pair of justins i bought to shoot cowboy back in 04/05 , they have always been fine , ai bought a tight fit and they stayed that way , but they serve the purpose well enough , they are real plain and i bought them to wear in the dirt and rocks of the ranges we shoot in , also the rain that occasionally visits , i have not been disappointed in them ,

these are mexican - tecovas , really nicely made boots , i just want a knockin around footwear so im not wanting to spend a fortune but would like a decent fit , they have the slightly more dressy look that i thought i needed for work and such , they should be fine for the purpose ,if i went narrower the front would squeeze my foot but i suspect the heel might be tighter , if i went shorter i fear my foot would hit the end , i have started wearing them and will risk the blisters or do as you say with the duct tape - minnesota chrome - fixes everything ,

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:30 pm 

The tape is a quick fix until the boots get broken in better. In the military overseas, we'd get a new pair of boots wet to speed the break in process. The wool socks we were issued helped, too.

I went with Red Wing lace ups when I started railroading & have stayed with those for hunting & such. SW

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:15 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i have the laceups as well they are a tad industrial looking for my intent but have served me very well on a daily basis , they are what i am measuring against for fit , might not really be comparable ?