Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gun Show Scores!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:03 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Been almost a year since I hit a show. There was a lot to dissuade me here price-wise.
Cheapest Browning trombone I seen was north of 900.

There was a Marlin 94 priced nice at 600. It looked like a new gun.

There was one guy trying to pass off junk as collector grade air pistols. 125 for a Crosman 130 pumper in .22 that looked as if it had been through a fire- and a SSN electro pencilled onto the breech. I told him what it was worth in that condition- zero collector interest- and he got really mouthy. I just walked away.

Did score though:

Some before and after clean-up imagery...

It's a K-3 that was pretty grimy. Plain cross hair and perfect glass though. She cleaned up nice. Can't go wrong for 40 bucks. I had been wanting a K-3 for a long time. Still gonna watch for a P/C-H reticle version. This is actually a close range scope, and appears parallax free from 25 yds and out...

Early C-4 Weaver rimfire scope. This one pre dates the more common "Marksman" roll stamp that most are seen with. I stole it at 5 bucks :bigrin:

Also picked up a BSA Meteor air rifle for 45.00 that wears a rare factory rear peep. I can put photo's up for anyone expressing an interest in something like that.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

Post subject: Re: Gun Show Scores!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:24 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I'd like to see the pics!

I like your K3! I put one on my M1 carbine clone. I look for K2.5 wideview "boob tube" scopes at gun shows & garage sales but no luck so far. Had one I sold with a rifle several years ago & haven't seen another since. SW

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:12 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Those old K-3's sure are nice scopes. I'd like to get mine onto a .22 pumper for testing this week. It may be a while though- we've got at least 2 Jets/Predators games this week, and if the Jets can hang on there will be at least one more home game... Those games make extra work for me. The arena is next door to us on the skywalk system, and it sure gets busy....

She's nice and trim. About 5 1/2 lbs by my guesstimate. Taken at one of my favorite gravel pits- this one is at the end of Fire Guard #1 in Aggasiz Forest. Love the big red granite boulders :bigrin:

Early laser etching? The gun has leather seals, so it may not be laser at all....

That peep attracted me to the gun. It called me from all the way across to the other side of the show ;)

Mostly plastic body to this sight, but what counts is blued steel. The front is sort of a big bead. I've never much cared for bead fronts- a plain post or Redfield sourdough is more my speed...

This thing hits what I aim at, and I don't think I could ask for much more.
I did replace the breech seal at the chamber end of the bbl. What was there was totally rotted leather.

She's hitting nice and hard now. I'll get her over the chrony Wed night, just to see what's up.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:41 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

thats fun - got to appreciate quality here , those were made well ,

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:53 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Replaced that leather breech seal...

Not bad for a 45.00 gun :bigrin:

It seems to want to shoot, too.

That ain't bad for my eyes and poor springer technique. About 1/2" on centers at 12 paces indoors.

I'm really starting to like this thing!

Hopefully find time tonight to get that K-3 mounted. I'm beginning to get snowballed under gun projects...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:37 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

winner winner chicken dinner - you got a keeper there

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:31 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Got that K-3 mounted and dialled in tonight. :bigrin:

Here it's on one of my home built pumpers in Leupold rifleman aluminum rimfire rings. I've got a set of low 1" Weaver rimfire rings around here somewhere- just a matter of finding them... The Leupolds bring it down nice and low over the bore.

There's a slightly better view, showing how compact this scope actually is. Made with hunters in mind, most definitely.

It shoots like this at 13 1/2 paces or so. 5 .177 pellets. 560 fps. Ten ring is the size of a dime. Bit of parallax that close in, and not exactly sharp~ BUT 20 yds and up is what this scope is really made for. I'm going to leave it mounted as is, and do a bit more shooting with it. I'd like to see how well it will hold a zero long term.

Nailed this one for sure. got my 40 bucks worth, and them some :bigrin:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:58 am 

One hole groups are a thing of beauty! :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:21 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I gave that BSA spring rifle a bit of attention over the past week.

It's sort of important to mention this- I gave the bore a light cleaning, and the groups tightened up considerably. I think the bore was still slick with preservative grease...

I also mounted an Ali Express/flea-pay side focus scope. This is a clone of one of the better quality Leapers/UTG scopes. ( I suppose it finally had to happen- a Chinese scope got cloned :hah: )

It's about the right length, and eye relief for a medium power springer. The objective just clears the bbl opening. It's 3-12 X 44. It will focus down to a little less than 10 yds at 12 X. It's supposed to be a mil-dot reticle, and is very likely set up to sub tend for ranging purposes at 9 X. Reticle is very fine at 12 X, and capable of precision work from a front rest...

I was absolutely floored by this. :-o :-o :-o 12 paces indoors after zeroing. Scope is supposedly spring gun rated, and seems to stand up well against the dual thrust recoil cycle. Turrets push down to lock, but there's no way of re-setting the indexes to individual zero. Other-wise, it's a fairly decent scope.. ..
That is very good shooting for a springer rifle. I've never seen springer performance like this before. Five 8.2 gr RWS Meisterkulgens at 650 fps.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:43 pm 

Remind me not to compete with you on postal matches! ;) :bigrin:

I use Chinese Leaper scopes & don't have any real issues with them. My main comment concerns illuminated reticules - so far I can't imagine what useful purpose they serve. SW

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:06 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

That is one of the weak points of an otherwise almost decent scope. The I/R switch turns that fine Mil-Dot reticle into a pretty well meaningless blur. Cross hair intersection swells up to over 6 m.o.a. , which is far too big for a small bore rifle, or precision work of any kind. Instead of a full rheostat, they went multi color. Red, green and blue. The blue is easiest on the eyes. I pulled the battery for later use in one of my pistol red dots. Vendor says that it is not normal for the illuminator to blur the reticle like that, and offered an immediate refund. I think I'm going to keep it anyways.

The point of illuminated reticles is beyond me as well. If it's too dark to see the cross hairs, it's too dark to be shooting, which means it's past legal shooting time....

That BDT turned me into a shootin nut. :P Makes life kinda hard though- now a guns gotta shoot, no otherwise :bigrin:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:35 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Finally got the last of the adhesive off of the K-3.

I carded off a LOT of brown patino-rust. Guess this was on somebody's truck gun- the kind that resides on the floor. There is a lot of nicks and dings here- fortunately no dents.

It took a bit of goo-gone to get the stubborn adhesive off.
Buffed the blue with some P.A.T. lube from work, and the bluing evened out really nicely.

I've got a set of low old style 1" Weaver rimfire rings around here somewhere. Set up shown ain't all that bad though- T/O-10 adapter plate and standard Weaver low rings.

Entire works is less than 5 lbs. This is where going back to basics pays off. I know what I'm hiking with this fall...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:13 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

This has been gnawing at me for quite a while now...

Caught some Burris turn-in dovetail windage rings and bases on clearout late last year.

They are actually labled for Savage L/A, which is the same #46 Weaver front and rear bases...

Haven't decided yet if I like this system, or not. They give enough height for the ocular to clear the bolt handle. I may end up getting a front extension base, if I can find one. Eye-bell is a little too close the way it sits.

The lace on cheek riser works- sort of. I'd be better off doing this in cow grained leather. The rip stop nylon sure slides around a lot on the walnut.

For 30 yds, and dept store ammo, that ain't too shabby.
3 of the 40 gr rn super X's landed on the bull. Those 2 lower ones exemplify the difference between plinking, and competition ammo...
Surprised I can see a bull that tiny at 3 X and 30 yds.

I am pleased with the rings and mounts so far. Actually hunted the grouse opener with it today- no shots on game. I'll do better when the temperatures start to drop a little. 75 F today, which is too danged hot for tramping for grouse...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail