Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A new bent...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:21 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

This is getting as bad as guns, except waaay cheeper…

Something good under the hard ever ready case.

Vintage 1968 Nikkormat FTN. There's quite a decent lens under the old steel band nikkor lens cap....

Digital phone flash shows the speed of this oldster. Definitely not a snoozer.

The old 1.4 50mm wears a Nikon L-37 C UV filter here. Blue cast is the pre-70's Nikon lens coatings.

Mirror lock-up, M&X sync outlets, aperture/meter coupling indicator...

Top plate showing L-R :

Exterior meter indicator, depth of field preview button, frame counter, and shutter release. This camera was wonder tech for it's late 60's debut. 2 meter indicators, battery independent mechanical shutter from B/T, 8 sec to 1/1000 sec, and depth of field preview button. These may have out-lasted the venerable old Nikon F-2's. They seem to have a slight edge in build quality.
The microprism spot focusing screen was also an innovation for it's time.. With a zoom lens, it works much better than the blacking out split image range-finder...
Everything works and functions as it should. Would be interesting to see the Nikon Z6 & Z7 after 52 years of age :bigrin:

This getting to be a habit. Left to right:

Nikon FE-2 with 28mm F-3.5 Nikkor

Vivitar 80-200mm F-4.5

Nikkormat FTN with 50mm F-1.4 S/C Auto Nikkor

Nikon FG with 50mm F-2 Nikkor

Vivitar 28-85mm F-3.5/F-4.5

I promise I will quit after I find a decent F2-AS body and photomic finder :hah:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

Post subject: Re: A new bent...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:42 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

beautiful camera , i had a vintage 1970ish EL that was a fantastic camera in the day , i hope you are getting these cheap , if your going to pile them up you gotta get them cheap ,

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:14 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

It should be pretty much a buyer's market for chemical photography stuff. Saw an old Leica for a fairly decent price on the gunboards trader forum. SW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:03 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

There's the FE-2 with the big Vivitar 80-200 aboard. Dreams were made out of this stuff back in the day... I actually over-extended myself getting an FE when they first come out. The lens pictured was built by the company that would later come to be known as Kiron. This one is as sharp as a new razor.

The group photo a few posts above is all readily affordable. If I were to hazard a guess, total expenditure so far is well below the 350.00 mark.

That original FE set me back more than 2 weeks pay, which would be edging the 1200.00 mark in todays dollars. Top of the line digital AF Nikons are going for over 4 grand now...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:56 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i had one of those lenses - also some of the others you have shown , i had a PC [perspective correction] 35mm that i used extensively for my architectural photos back in those days , these threads you have started on your camera collection have brought back so many great memories , i thank you for that , these have brought back so much that i let go of so many years ago , what great memories they are ,

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:42 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Went back and scored some of what was packaged with the camera. It came with a 50mm 1.4 SC Auto, which I already previously owned, so that is the only item left out of the package. Was tempted to buy it anyways for the factory bullet case, but I'll let it pass.

Did get a Nikkor "Q" Auto 135 mm F-3.5, with said bullet case, and snap on hood, and another steel band 52mm Nikkor lens cap.

For those that may be thinking the lens is a little slow, yes, it is.
Nikon did offer a "Q" 2.8, but they are awfully hard to find. From what I've read on-line the 3.5 holds a slight edge in optical quality, simply because the early coatings were limited in capability. I'm not sure a shade over 1/2 a stop difference is going to be all that noticeable to me.
The lens pre-dates the camera by almost 9 years, and was made originally for the Nikon F camera series. It is basically a "S" series rangefinder lens with an F bayonet mount....

Did get a 24" cable release. Gonna get back into tripod work as soon as I dig out the big Manfrotto~ the one photography item I did not sell off. Fortunately, these have retained their value, and then some....
The Nikkormat will be the prime tripod camera, simply because of it's battery independent shutter.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:01 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

that was a great grab , i would have picked up the PC if i had the funds but i get its limited use in what you might be employing it for , congrats my friend you have things here i would have wanted back then ,

i would love to have that leica mentioned , if only to say i finally owned one , it was much coveted back in the day ,

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:18 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

There's the 144 tripod with the 3 way 029 head.

This is the only tripod in me and bud's collective battery that would contain the sling shot rubberized cloth focal plane shutter of the Pentax 6 X 7.

It did a lot of heavy duty work for me in my almost go hungry days as a wedding photographer with the big Kowa 6 X 6 and later Bronica SQ-A. We had an 8 x 10 view camera on it a few times in the studio with an old Planar 180 lens that was actually a wide angle with that negative size, and no major problems. For a 35mm SLR it may seem a little over doing it in the heavy duty dept. I'm goin with it due to it's 8 ft extension height, which actually comes in handy for flat field work...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:30 pm 

That setup would be just the ticket for really slow film and flowers. I shot Olympus when I did chemical photography. My OM-1 could lock the mirror up for motion free shots. Not quite as motion free as my Mamiya TLRs, but I took a lot of pics with it.

Got most of my wildlife pics with a Zuiko f 5.6 135mm. Slow but great glass. SW

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:23 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

The OM-1 and it's Zuiko lenses were well respected in the news community here. It was the first to start body down-scaling in a major way.

The Nikkormat pictured here also has a mirror lock. Incidentally, all 3 of the cameras in this thread could use new mirror cushions.

The titanium shutter systems and electronically controlled mirrors in the FG and FE-2 require no lock-up for vibration control. Their circuit boards control damping action.

Somewhere in the junk pile is photo's of 1800's churches~ all done from a tripod with pan-x and pan-f. There was also an asa 25 b&w film from agfa that I used extensively that printed very well on Ilford Pearl paper. I found that the slower film speeds were easier to control shadow details with. I have yet to see a digi-cam capable of tonal range like that, but it's probably on the way in the very near future....

Next on the list is a Pentax brand optical spot meter. I am going to need it for what I plan on doing this spring and summer...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:05 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Picked up a little more stuff over the weekend. Got a SB 22 flash that provides off the film plane TTL control with the FE-2 and FG. It was whizz bang upper expensive high tech for its day. Cost me all of 25 bucks :D

Dropped off the first 3 rolls of film for pre-paid processing . Wow. 86 bucks for 2 36 exp rolls b&w and one 24 exp c-41. Includes film development and first set of 4x6 prints. Those prints are made by digital scan of the negatives. Looks like I'm gonna hafta set up darkroom eventually...

Regards

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:20 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

There's the SC-17, SB-22, and early Stroboframe 35 flash grip. Jimmy Olsen's got nothin on me :bigrin:

Gads. There's an F-3 with motor for sale here that I've been watching, as well as another Nikkormat~ an FT-2 with 55 micro nikkor f 3.5 aboard. I'd be most likely to pull the trigger on the FT-2. The F-3 is kinda tempting though....

But what the heck am I gonna do with 4 or 5 Nikon bodies? ;)

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:54 pm 

Yeah - that does kinda resemble the flash attachment for a Speed Graphic.

A camera with good glass I could never get into was the Graflex. Maybe good for aerial photo-recon in WW1, but I couldn't see much use for it otherwise.

And watch out for guys changing clothes in a phone booth! :-o :rotflma: :rotflma: :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:54 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i have very little experience with the speed photos you are discussing , i seldom shot motion , most of my work related to architecture in fixed position with perspective correction - to scale for rendering purposes a lot of pan-X and a lot of darkroom time , i tried some catching motion with tri-X and some of the super fast 800-1200 b&w but i always worked better with things that were firmly anchored in place , i did enjoy my kodachrome for most things

gave me those bright colors ............used on project afters mostly , still stationary and anchored , never figured out that bit with the girls .......what can i say ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:02 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I'm pretty certain Schuster's original Olsen carried a speed graphic with the simple wire finder above the camera, and an M type flashgun.

I had actually wanted a speed or crown graphic for the longest time. There were plenty of bodies and frames around. The hard to find sticking point was the lenses and lens boards. I have yet to see a complete crown or speed graphic in person.

I was not really a fan of working the runway. I could have actually used a producer to level the field a bit. Very cut-throat business. There were a few Dale Evans gem type gals around, but they were a minority. Sure it was fun making pictures of the girls, but the personalities left a lot to be desired. The theatrical work I did for a while was a completely different ball game- quite relaxing, and never boring. The wedding stuff paid a few meals and a bit of camera equipment. I can't really complain about my experience, but sure did find which way the wind blows.

The 1977 Superman with Christopher Reeve had a funny scene with the modern phone booth. He couldn't find a proper booth- just these skinny pole things. He ended up using revolving doors for his costume changes. I think it's been at least 30 years since I've seen an actual booth with the glass bi-folding doors.

That F-3 has become an itch I can't scratch. It's not really what I'd be after. My first choice is still the F-2 with the A-S photomic finder...

Probably gonna compensate with the FT-2 this week-end. A little out of town trip to get it...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:22 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Pulled the trigger on an F-3 over the weekend.
It comes with the MD-4 drive and A-Sqare's E type architectural screen and HP finder. Can't find an F-2 that I can afford. Should have it in my hot little hands sometime Monday afternoon.
More to follow.

Regards

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:06 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

There it is. It came with a handful of accessories. Biggest notable about this is the bright, 100% coverage viewfinder. 50mm F-2 aboard.

Camera has some quirky design foibles, which I'll get into later.

For now, she's a definite shooter. The E type grid screen is nice with 28 mounted. The telephoto/zoom stuff actually requires a fresnel field. I plunked the K screen into it, and it's a good mate to the Q 135 mm. First roll of C-41 into it tonight. That Squirrel out back is gonna be in for a bit of a stop-motion 6 frame per second surprise in the a.m.. :bigrin:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:02 pm 

Way cool! There have to be some good deals on stuff like this with most people going to digital. Now I need to look for an issue of Shutterbug. SW

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:10 pm 

Thinking further on the topic, I believe you would have gotten on well with my closest friend. Chemistry major at UC-B with a minor in photography. He shot Pentax for 35mm but mostly shot 4x5 Speed Graphic... until he saved up & scored a Bronica medium format followed by a (can't recall which model) Leica.

Taught me most of what I know about darkroom & composure.

He wanted to have a stand alone photography biz, but due to small town politics he wound up ranching for relatives. He actually had a shingle for his biz... for no longer than he was able to have it up. He was a very talented photographer. SW

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:38 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I ain't no great shakes as a photog myself. Sister is far more of a creative genius behind the lens. I do well enough for most every day purposes. I think I could get quite a bit better spending more time at it.

As always, the main thrust is going to be things I see up the escarpment and along the prairie river valleys. Was circled Sunday a.m. by a huge bald eagle. Things like that require an able camera, and someone with just a shade of talent... either way, it's gonna be a lotta fun....

Regards

Doc Sharptail