Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: A new bent...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:15 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

After some serious in the field testing and observations, I found the best of the tele-zooms I have is the Vivitar Series 1 70-210 F 3.5 , which came in the F-2 camera package.

This is the early first pre- AI version made by Tokina, and it has the push button collar lug for engaging the macro function. It is quite a bit sharper than the 80-200 f 4.5 Nikkor mentioned above.

It's purple lens coatings were only used on the first variant.

Digital blow-up from a 4x6 c-41 print. This is a young Golden Eagle feeding on a pigeon. Heavy pixillation is from using the digital camera hand held in low light for copy work. This is actually a very sharp photograph, and one of my best to date. 40 yds at 210 mm, F-11 and 1/1000 sec on ASA 400 color film with the glorious to me F-2 camera :bigrin:

Will do some more work with this lens for sure...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:35 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I actually wrestled with this zoom telephoto thing over most of the summer.

The 80-200 F 4.5 Nikkor shown here with it's hefty ding in the tube has had me wondering for a while. Was browsing Kijiji last week and found another less blemished :roll: version for cheap.

Denter at right and it's possible replacement at left.

Both are virtually the same lens, and by the serial numbers, roughly 80 lenses apart in terms of manufacture. The newer to me lens will actually focus down to about 5.5 feet, give or take. I had it out for a while at Omand's Creek park today in the new snow.

I still think the series 1 Vivitar 70-210 is sharper, but sharpness ain't everything.
The Vivitar displays some slight bbl distortion throughout it's zoom range. Unless you know what you're looking for, it's pretty hard to find.
Both Nikkors appear distortion free. I am going to have to find my resolution test chart, and run all 3 lenses against it with some slow pan film, just to get this settled in my head.
Incidentally, the latest nikkor is much better at the image edges than the dinger is. That lens with the dent in it may have internal glass damage that is not immediately noticeable.

The 50 I spent on the latest was a bit of a splurge, but I think I can mange to live with it.
I'm also going to have to find a way to chemical print soon. The digital scans from negatives leave a lot to be desired in terms of image quality. Will try asking for high resolution scans off the next roll of tri-x I take in...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon