Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:01 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Picked this up today for a mere song. Wasn't even looking for it :roll: It just sorta found me while I was in the (ahem) camera store on other matters :P I was actually looking for a film squeegee of all things....

Couldn't argue about the price, and I had been thinking about a 300 for quite some time~ just not quite in that form. For a lens that tries a little too hard, it's not the disappointment I had been expecting. Sharp, and then some at the 60 end. A little feathery at 300, but the mostly positive on-line reviews say it clears up by about f-8/f-11.... It's lengthy enough to black out the split image rangefinder on the F-2 "A" screen. Fresnel focussing is a matter of necessity at 300. Might be a candidate to try on the F-3 with the "E" architectural gridline screen...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:32 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

you are finding a lot - starting a new career ? or just having fun ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:28 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Not sure I could make a living with film nowadays. There are a lot of imaging options now that cater to the "instant" mind-set~ which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Wish pricing had been like this back when I was trying to make a job out of photography. I might have even become successful :bigrin:

I have far more lenses now than I am capable of carrying around. Despite all that glass, there just 3 that seem to be in constant use: the 50mm 1.4, the 85mm 1.8 and the 80-200mm 4.5 nikkors. There's a 28mm in the bottom of the bag I would not be without, even though it rarely sees the light of day. It is a decently sharp lens for the close in stuff, and behaves quite well on the opposite end of the reversing ring.

I is a sucker for cheap glass, and will probably not stop buying it, even though there's a lesson to be learned in there somewhere :roll:

I do believe I have been through this before... with old Weaver scopes. I really don't mind though. Having too much of a good time for other wise.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:22 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

those three and my 35mm PC were the staples back in the day ,

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:44 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Back to the Sakar zoom lens, however briefly ;)

After giving it a good work out in brilliant daylight, I am mostly impressed.
According to the meter on the F-2, there's a slightly better than 1 1/3 stop difference between 60 mm and 300 mm, which comes as no real great surprise.

Optical quality is much better than I had been expecting. I have experienced this before with Korean glass~ most notably the Banner line of scopes. There is a bit of bbl distortion at 60, but again, far less than expected. It fades quite nicely by 80 mm.

The hard infinity stop takes a bit of watching at 300. The lens turns a bit past actual infinity focus, and I have to watch the outer Fresnel field to make sure I'm properly focussed at distances. This is done a bit easier with the Fresnel field of the "K" screen in the F-3 as it's a bit brighter.

It's a nice lens, especially with the extra reach. I do think they could have made a much better lens by making it a straight 300 non-zoom telephoto. Good try on the do-all focal length attempt though. It actually works, if you don't mind the somewhat slow aperture speed.

Will try and get it up on the roof tomorrow at work- at sunset, if the weather holds. F-2 has a roll of 400 c-41 in it. Not too sure there's gonna be a rapid turn around on processing once it's shot. Lab is still open on this side of town, but is well under-staffed due to the current public health situation.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail