[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Euro Christmas loot

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Euro Christmas loot
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:18 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Got the Puma "Scout" blade today. I lightly polished. Didn't want to get carried away & stopped while I was ahead. Tomorrow I'll hit it with fine steel wool and light oil. Shown with a Puma same size as a Buck 110 for perspective. It's 8.5" or 21 cm long. Puma knives USA sells factory scabbards which I'll soon buy for it.
IMG_0120 (3).JPG
IMG_0120 (3).JPG [ 77.02 KiB | Viewed 3275 times ]

Middle blade is a "nicker" for hunting. Not a Puma but the cast off handle is just right for a lefty - like me!
IMG_0122.JPG
IMG_0122.JPG [ 203.89 KiB | Viewed 3276 times ]

Two Brit medals were also in the box. I'm not sure what they're for.
IMG_0123.JPG
IMG_0123.JPG [ 204.86 KiB | Viewed 3276 times ]

IMG_0124 (2).JPG
IMG_0124 (2).JPG [ 75.75 KiB | Viewed 3276 times ]

Then there was a bunch of stuff the children wanted - like kilos of candy from a shop in Andrey's town. I've been in there, and it sure smells nice! Then there was a Fleddy Melculy T-shirt for younger daughter who likes his music. He has a different look, but he's actually a nice guy.

Smiles all around here! :bigrin: SW

Post subject: Re: Euro Christmas loot
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:14 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Medal on the left looks to be a W.W. I ETO service medal.
Little thrown by the ribbon colors though.

Not sure at all about the one on the right- not even a guess on that one.

Those small bladed sheath knives are a pleasure afield, provided they have a proper snap sheath.
The big one looks entirely big game related, with a real field dressing profile.

Nice scores!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:46 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

love the blades , your getting a large collection o medals as well , how do you store/display them ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:12 pm 

I use shadow boxes. I just got an antique Swiss RR watch to go in a shadow box with RR medals and such. It was quite inexpensive which tells me it might not run, but it will work just fine for a display. SW

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:49 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i like that idea , i did that with all my family heirloom drafting instruments going back to my grandfather and great grandfather , i also did that with my fathers WWII stuff , now im working on the stuff for my FIL that date to korea/VN/cold war , i love spending the time on it as im learning so much of the man i never knew when je was alive ,

as a submariner that served on the original nautilus crew to his VN service of four tours [his kids knew of three] and service at the naval base in japan , so much to know - wish we could talk again , the cold war atomic era subs and all the crazy stuff the were doing we didnt learn of till way later , i just hope someone in the future cares as much as me , but two of the four sons'brothers had their own naval careers and dont care about it and one of the sons/brothers is dead , the last of the four says he doesnt have time for it now - way younger than me and maybe one day think differently , my wife made sure her brothers got what they wanted but that nothing got thrown out - it came to me ,
im just beginning to dive into it all , lots of photos , awards , citations and a large number of medals , a lot of them probably not opened in a long time ,

i suspect there may be questions as my one BIL that was carreer navy said he didnt recognize a couple of them ,
hogger , i may ask your opinion on some if i cant get what i want in my own research , particularly as related to the VN tours , there is a bot of gray area regarding this service as he was on river boats based off the coral sea at that point rather than submerged , im guessing that ET might have some insight as well on some of the sub stuff , or maybe mario as well , i know he was navy and i think aircraft carrier if i recall right ,

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:49 pm 

I was never on a ship let alone a sub so I can't be much help that way. I'll look around for a site that describes the various ribbons and medals.

I was finally able to reconstruct my "fruit salad" from a site I found. Andrey collects medals and gave me a Vietnamese award very hard to find anymore. SW

ETA: here's a link to ribbons. Medals are also in this site somewhere.
https://www.military-ranks.org/decorations

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:00 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

thanks for that link , ill look there , i suspect his were not ship related so much based on the secrecy that seems to be associated with that tour but then ill have to dig in to find out more , i appreciate the link a lot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:34 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel