[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Cartridge Slide for my M3 Shoulder Holster

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:53 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Years ago I modified an old M3 shoulder holster to fit my Ruger NM Blackhawk 41/2" 44 Special. When I first tried it for fit, it almost worked but not quite; so I soaked the holster in water for a spell, covered the Ruger in plastic wrap, and fit it while the holster was still soaked. It worked like a charm - even the strap would fit. That was just fine, and then I started thinking about getting a cartridge slide that would also fit. Some of the old pilot’s holsters came with either a leather of canvas cartirdge slide, but they appeared to be unobtainable on their own. I had about given uo until I mentioned it to C.E. Harris, who suggested I get in touch with Wolf Ears Equipment out of Laramie, Wyoming. I did so, and after explaining what I needed, they fixed up a custom slide to hold 7 rounds of 44 Special, rather than the old pilot slide that held 22 rounds of 38 Special. I am quite pleased with the result. The picture shows it with a 45acp round in it; since I did not have a 44 Special round in my desk drawer at the time. I tried it with a 44 Special round this morning, and that works just fine too.

Attachments:
Cartridge slide - wolf ears-mod.jpg
Cartridge slide - wolf ears-mod.jpg [ 176.33 KiB | Viewed 6712 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:10 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:46 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

ive never seen a slide for those - i think they might have been theater made [unless you can produce an actual mill made version] but i love the idea , my M3 & M7 holsters might thank you ,

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:00 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I've seen new ones, but always in conjunction with the holster. Attaching a picture of a period one from internet. We live a ways out in the country on 100 acres of woods. Things can happen quickly, and I did not wish to have to scrabble around for the M3 holster and Ruger Blackhawk, and then ammo. I wanted it all in one unit. The government issue slide held 22 rounds of 38 Special; so by a rough approximation I figured 7 rounds of 240 grain 44 Special would be about the same, maybe a tad lighter, than that.

BTW here is the name and email for Wolf Ears. This was a one off; my cost was $30 plus $12 shipping. Probably subject to negotiation: Stan Dolega <mrwolf@vcn.com>

Attachments:
M3 cartridge slide-mod.jpg
M3 cartridge slide-mod.jpg [ 48.5 KiB | Viewed 6692 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:30 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I'd like one like that for a 6" bbl. 586....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:36 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

It would be close - all you can do is a try fit. Barrel may stick out the bottom a hair or even more- a regular Victory model has a four inch barrel and of course does not clear the bottom of the M3.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:53 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

the shoulder holster for my war issued 38S&W victory had sewn on loops , i think its a modification as i could find nothing on them coming from the mfgr that way ,

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:27 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:20 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Sarco has the M-3 shoulder holster on for 15.00.

What size frame does the victory model relate to in S&W terms?
The 586 is a "K" iirc, and the "N" is quite a bit smaller...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:31 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:35 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Thanks for the input.

I like the mention of the 66.
It was a favorite revolver in our family.
Not too many people are aware of it's history, or existence...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:42 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:07 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I really liked the sighting system on the K-66 Stainless (which was how it was advertised).
I also liked the factory grips a lot.
Dad tried a Hogue set, and went back to the factory grips. The grippy rubber was just too strange a feel.
That orange insert in the front sight was one of S&W's better moves. It showed up well against target black....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:10 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:49 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Ok, final result. I am satisfied. Picture taken in my bedspread. It is close to my bed for emergencies.

Attachments:
Carttridge slide 44 1mod.jpg
Carttridge slide 44 1mod.jpg [ 170.16 KiB | Viewed 6649 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:55 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

looks a nice solution , i was going to offer my leather guys contact data - he makes custom to order stuff ...mostly cowboy but other stuff too ,

i like what you got - seems to do what you were asking it to do ,

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:44 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:58 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

there are days when i wish i was in arkansas - my family is from there back a bit - my great grandfather was station master in eureka springs , my grandfather held a number of RR patents from there , all are obsolete these days obviously , but its family history im proud of ,

i think you will be happy with the canvas slide as well , the leather would never be a match no matter how hard they tried , i think you got the best solution for that problem , congrats

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:29 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:40 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

actually there are a lot of slides out there , mostly in the cowboy action arena , for everything from 45colt-44-39 spcl as well as the shotgun shells , here are two ive used

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1SN ... =789&dpr=1

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1SN ... =789&dpr=1