[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Muzzle loader

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Muzzle loader
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:30 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

this is really interesting , sad you must give up and give up use of your firearms to get these martin , but i understand the need to make adjustments to maintain your enjoyment

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:22 pm 
International Man of Mystery

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:23 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:29 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

What if you did build your own? Would it have to go onto your permit? There are kits available that require minimum skills to make. Essentially just some sanding & putting a finish on the stock & browning or bluing the metal (which doesn't even necessarily need to be done)

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:03 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:48 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

well here's a few links if you decide you want to

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/default.ph ... 95ad0fefe1

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/default.ph ... 22_162_193

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:31 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Oh and here. Check put a little down the page to the Lyman Great Plains Rifle kits. I have a left handed Flintlock in .54 cal. It is a hoot to fire!

http://www.possibleshop.com/rifle-kit.html

These are made by Investarms in Italy. These are top quality kits using beautiful walnut stocks. Maybe your Duetscher connection can hook you up with a kit at an affordable price.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:56 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

All of those kits require very basic skills. Sanding & finishing basically.

Now one of these will take a bit more

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categorie ... x?catId=13

But man what nice stuff they've got!

This is more Kaintuck (OlTom) or NebrHogger territory

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:51 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

The first set of kits are basically sanding, finishing & assembling. The Track of the Wolf kits are a heck of a lot more. Lots of inlet work & most of the metal bits are rough cast. The barrels are essentially blanks, although for minimum charges the company will cut dovetails & mount the breach plugs & the like. You would still have to file, sand & polish the barrels.

The top set are easy-peasy :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:11 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

If I may be allowed a brief moment of seriousness, anyone attempting a meduim skill level or harder kit needs to pause for thought.

Take a moment to honestly evaluate your behaviors. Give yourself a "frustration rating" on a scale of 10 with 10 being when you are so mad a stroke is imminent. If you sincerely believe you are a 5 or lower, then go for it with a happy heart. Otherwise you will get frustrated - then mad - then possibly violent and have a large pile of teethpicks & a tomato stake. :-o

Select a kit or "untouched yak fat special" from IMA. When you unpack it, make actual notes on paper concerning what needs to be accomplished. Then set a goal. I set a goal of last Easter on my P1841 Brunswick musket & did a face plant on that one. The stock was a lot worse off than I thought. Never say die, though! I get the book done, I'm diving right back in.

Also set goals of how you want it to look. If you're going for "fresh from the armory", you need a lot of patience. When in doubt with a kit or yak fat special, GO SLOW!!

I've written up my misadventures in the projects forum, and at surplusrifle.com there's an EXCELLENT antique rifle forum. A fellow going by Norm Sutton is an actual wizard with these projects and has a ton of excellent advice.

Long story short, you won't need to buy a lot of tools - you will just need a clear idea of what you hope to accomplish and a LOT of patience.

It can be done and from where I'm sitting, it's relaxing and a lot of fun. 8-) SW

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:58 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:08 pm 

Nah... just a BFH & a belt sander. :crzy: :rotflma: :rotflma: :rotflma: SW

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:08 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Mac, there are 2 Great Plains kits on Gunbroker now. Percussion not flint. 1 in .50 & 1 in .54

$379 each

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:29 am 
The Knife
The Knife

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:01 am 
Grand Pooh-Bah
Grand Pooh-Bah

back in the Navy days if you brought out the BFH and that did not do it you got a bigger machinist mate. :lol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:30 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

We had a BFH nicknamed "Thor". It weighed over 50# and was made of solid lead with a pipe through the middle. It was used to knock apart the weapons loading skid after 36 or so torpedoes/tommy-hawks running up/down it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:51 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

The Possible Shop type can be done on your back patio. Might take a total of 10-12 hours. You can leave the barrel & other bits 'in the white' and allow a natural patina to set in. The stock would just need some BLO rubbed in. These are entry level kits. No barrel forging necessary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:02 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Here's a .50 cal FLINTER @ $360 now. NEW and FULLY ASSEMBLED!

19 hours left.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =255654334

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:00 am 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

I'd like to drop in on this conversation........i have 3 going at once right now :bigrin: :-?
in different stages.....one is being sorta whittled out in the wood by a fellow in PA~ it'll be mailed back in 3 months.....my sis's is ready for me to start inletting the barrel into it's 'channel'......and my stock is, well, 'put up till the barrel arrives (someday)........big question is:
do you want to shoot it~ or make it?
get one already done if you like shooting....see, i like building stuff.......shooting is small part of my flintlock loves......so building IS the thing for me..... :Dbounce:

everyone here knows how nutty i am with making stuff..........I WISH those TV shows would make me rich by filming things i build!!!!!!! :jmp:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:22 am 

I'm the opposite most of the time - as soon as it goes "POW!!" I'm done. Well, I have gone back later & done more but mostly if it shoots, I'm good with it.

I'll be sending off one of the pistola stocks I got from you & then start piling up parts for the lefty flint grinder. SW