[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Can someone identify this rifle?

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can someone identify this rifle?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:33 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I saw this ad and all it says is "Japanese rifle".....any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Can someone identify this rifle?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:14 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

It's a little hard to tell from just one pic, but it very much appears to be a Type I. Made in Italy for Japan to the tune of around 90,000 rifles. Caliber 6.5 Arisaka. I have a couple and they are very good shooters.

Are you going to the gun show in Alliance? I'll probably be working. SW

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:27 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....cant tell from pic....could also be a T-99 long rifle...but then again the front band on the pic you posted seems a lil different...

f6sm.JPG
f6sm.JPG [ 194.92 KiB | Viewed 7452 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:11 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Are you going to the gun show in Alliance? I'll probably be working. SW

I haven't been to the one in Alliance, is it usually pretty good? Don't think I have any plans......I'll probably go.

I saw the above picture in a upcoming auction ad for March. There were only a few firearms but this one piqued my interest.....it would be nice if I knew what the hell I was doing :roll: As it is, I have no idea what to look for....what would be a reasonable price...or if it would be worth checking out. Maybe they will have more info as it gets closer....Japanese rifle is all it said, no caliber or anything else. From the picture it looks to be in pretty nice shape but then pictures can be deceiving......and like I said, don't really know what to look for as far as markings or anything else.
Mario....nice rifle there!...not to mention the sharpies ;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:02 pm 

I base my guess on the shape of the front sight ( no protectors) and the bolt. Notice the Italian style safety which is very different than the Japanese style safety. They seem to be selling at auction in the 200 - 300 range. The higher letter prefixes G to J were made by Beretta and worth a small premium. Also look for small PB ( Pietro Beretta) stamps on parts such as the trigger and bolt. There will be no markings of any kind other than the serial number.

Caliber 6.5 Arisaka and accurate if given a nice bore. These were used by Jap Marines and by Navy guards. It takes the standard Jap Type 30 bayonet. There aren't that many of these around and I consider them worth going after. I figure over $300 is too much. It has the rod and that's a plus. There will be a small star stamped on a real Type I rod. Be sure the floor plate is present. The latch wasn't a great patent, and that part is sometimes missing. Very hard to find otherwise.

The Alliance show used to be very good but has declined in recent years. I see a lot more quilts, jerky, toys, jewelry & so forth anymore. If I'm home I might drive up, but I won't lay off at work to go. The gun show at mitchell isn't too far away, either. SW

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:56 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I'll have to print this out and study it :lol
I don't think I'll need any quilts or jerky...I might go if nothing else comes up. I'd really like to check out the Tanner Gun Show sometime....just to see it.
Here are a couple more pics from the auction, it's scheduled for March 10 here in town.....maybe you'll be around?
RINO GALESI-RIGARMI-BRESCIA .22LR Pistol w/Pearl Grips
German Made 8 Shot .22 Pistol-Model 108S, SN-47327

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:53 pm 

The pistolas are cheepies and no big deal at all.

When I had an FFL, I used to get a table at the Tanner show. Usually around 300 tables. It's fun but difficult to transfer guns. Last time I went, there were cops all over the place.

I did buy a rifle from some "weekend nazis" ( wannabe re-enactors). All they wanted for paperwork was currency. They had a Maxim belt fed I wanted, but I thought I should leave well enough alone. SW

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:28 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

That rifle might be nice for the right price??
Or maybe it would be a leverite too? Leverite where it is... ;)
I should be satisfied with what I have.......is that even possible?....nah, I don't think so. :Dbounce:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:46 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....duh... :oops: Type 1...what wuz I thinkin :roll: ....here's a pic of a friends...

doc don jap type1 b.jpg
doc don jap type1 b.jpg [ 979.7 KiB | Viewed 7436 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:38 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i note a touch of 'enfeild' in that buttstock

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:10 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

I need to hook my puter up to our new TV to see if I can see Mario's pic without scrolling.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:38 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I've never been into 'Jap' rifles but if I had to have one it'd be the Type 1 as you first posted Ellie. They have always been more desireable (and expensive) than a standard arisaka

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:05 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:43 am 
The Knife
The Knife

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:33 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

aint that a bitch ....you counting from the bottom ? 3rd basement down or ground floor ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:52 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....nope....17th floor....keep lookin....................both of ya... :rotflma: :fny: :grin:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:25 pm 

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =272713888

Ellie,

Here's more detailed pics of a Type I. This guy isn't getting bids @ $215 so keep that in mind. There are a couple others at auction with no bids - mostly because the sellers are a little too proud of them.

If you go to the auction, you might get it for cheep because not too many people know what they are. SW

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:48 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Thanks Hogger.....I may just go and check it out, who knows.....maybe I'll get lucky and they'll give it away! If it is a Type 1, it will just have the markings you posted above?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:52 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Do they all have those two piece stocks like in the link you posted?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:44 pm 

Yes - just the serial number. No chrysanthemum ( spell that 5 times fast!) or Japanese kanjii ( symbols for words). Maybe just a few tiny Italian arsenal identifiers like PB for Beretta or FNA for Brescia. Those are hard to see and often out of sight until you take the rifle apart. On the bottom of the receiver ring will be 37 or 38 for when it was made. Those 2 years only.

The stocks will all be 2 piece as shown. The Italians built them to Jap specs & the stock will start to separate like that sometimes. SW