[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Mitchell, Nebr gun show report

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mitchell, Nebr gun show report
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:10 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Pretty much a waste of time. :roll: :X

With the prices I saw, it was a pay-to-attend show n tell session. One vendor had a few milsurps. M.95 Steyr stutzen priced @ $450. Sportered Berthier with chrome plated parts @ $450. Swiss vett @ $750... actually 4 of them at the same money. And a 6.5 Italian Vett @ $750. Crap.

So I asked to see it & was told with assurance it was "rare" and that "easily available surplus ammo" was good to shoot in it. :bull: With prices like that, I didn't bother to look at anything else. Didn't try to tell the guy his rare 6.5 Vett was one of 700,000. I guess he figured if he couldn't screw a bunch of people, he would really make it count to the ones he could.

Overall, prices were stupidly high. I did see a seller with lever actions that wasn't too bad. Had a 1st variation Marlin 444 @ $500 which is close. He also had a vintage Savage 99 in 250-3000 for $550. Not really any price gouging there.

Another fellow had black powder guns at fairly realistic prices. In fact, I was seriously considering the 69 cal flint grinder pistola he had. Marked @ $100 & he let on he was open to offers. But common sense prevailed and I passed. He had a modern flint grinder rifle - possibly a TC for less than $300. Really not too bad.

I had a few busks on me & was hoping to score some powder & maybe a few M primers. No vendors for that stuff, though. Looked for 7.62x39 or 7.62x25 in sardine tins but no ammo vendors.

And the usual bunch of gun show experts and hopefuls. I overheard one fellow telling a vendor his Dad had served in the occupation of Japan and had brought back a rifle he hoped to sell. The vendor was immediately interested, but the owner then described how his Dad had "sporsterized" it. Cut the stock down - sanded & varnished it - reblued it ( after a serious buffing, no doubt) and had botched the D&T. Then he added it was odd in that it came apart and the stock folded. A paratroop rifle?

The vendor allowed that he wouldn't take it as a gift. "But I was told it's RARE!"
"It's junk." The owner got all butt-hurt, but the vendor was right.

Saw a couple guys I know & they were doing the same thing I was: leaving. SW

Post subject: Re: Mitchell, Nebr gun show report
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:28 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Sorry to read it was a bad show, but lets face it gun shows are always a crapshoot. This one was full of crap as it seem the majority of them are, but just remember how it feels when you find that rare diamond hiding in all the rest of the refuse just waiting for you to find it and give it a proper home. It keeps me going to them and once, twice, maybe(if I'm lucky) three times in a year I find something good at a fair price.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:24 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Yeah....there really wasn't much there. I just got home from working the door from 12-4......I was keeping an eye out for ya!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:46 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:55 am 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:27 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

It sounds very much like the local show here. Not a lot of milsurps but one vender had a G33/40 with a very rough stock and matching from what I could tell for $2350. About $2300 more than I have. Did score a couple # of powder to try in the new wildcat. One vender had it for $26.00/# and I got it for $21.75/# from another one. There were a lot of the usual venders not there.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:00 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Hey Hogger....when is that show in Cheyenne?
I saw a man there that I've seen around the hospital, I knew he wasn't an employee but I'd see him quite often walking in the halls. He must have come to the show before I started at 12:00 and was leaving in the afternoon, he had his cane and his signature brown hat on....he had to show me his purchase....a little .32 cal colt....it was pretty cool. As he was opening the rug to get it out I noticed he had a real bad tremor. He asked if I could call him a cab, he lives in the independent apartments at the Village in Scottsbluff and took a damn cab to Mitchell for the show! He was so proud of that pistol, said he has a couple more at home but he can't shoot anymore because of his Parkinson's so now he just collects a few.He said he had to sell his rifles.. An Enfield, 1903 and others. I don't think he has any family here. Long story short (yeah right), I saw him today in the cafeteria and visited with him....boy did his face light up talking rifles. I couldn't contribute much because I don't know much but he sure seems to. My hope is take him out to the range and see if he wants to try to shoot some of those!! I was hoping the Torrington show was coming up so I could take him to that one.....think it's already passed tho. maybe he would go to Cheyenne? He said he kind of likes to stay close to home (don't what his other medical issues might be) I would love to get him out to the range and to some shows. I just think its sad that he has such a great love for this stuff and no way to enjoy it......sorry, didn't mean for this to turn into a novel :Dbounce:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:17 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

was a little far for me as well ellie , but would have enjoyed meeting you , you are indeed an angel - that fellow probably is quite happy just to get to talk a bit ,
parkinsins is a deceptive disease , you loose controle of your body but your mind is sharp as it ever was , i cannot imagine living it - i was involved in the design and construction of a 'dream' home for a wife whose husband was in the late stages - she knew him so well that she understood even after he could no longer communicate except to knod ,

no worries on your novel i seem to be there with you ,

sorry it disapointed you hogger , i think meeting ya all would have made it good for me

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:33 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Thanks for the compliment Square10.....I'm far from an angel.....must be the age thing ;) I had always wondered about this man when I'd see him, just walking around....he said the Dr. told him to keep moving so he does....and to see him at a gun show of all places! Makes you wonder when things happen like that....

I would love to meet all you guys sometime!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:38 am 

Ellie,

We just missed one March 3 & 4. Next one is Apr 21 & 22 at the fairgrounds ( where the have Frontier Days). Get off I-25 @ exit 11 & drive straight ahead through a residential 'hood. Can;t miss it. SW

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:39 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

for those that would do the trip there is one in the twin cities on the 17th-18th , at the collusium on the state fair grounds , its huge and well worth an effort ,

gimp and i are driving down from here , meeting stinkpot and walnuthead/rustynut , and maybe my son and his friends , would love to connect with others ,

there is another - 21st of april same vacinity and its big too , but gimp cant make it because he will be shooting arrows to qualify for the para olympic team in cali-forn-ia , i expect him to be competing in england this year , his practice has been all "A" game recently

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:50 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Oooooh......that would definitely be fun!! Might be a little far though :-(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:02 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i figured that , but one day perhaps we will get to meet , so often there are friends made that we never see face to face , pete was one of those that i regret not shaking hands with , hope thats not the case with many of you ,