[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Canadian Military Museum, Nanaimo, BC

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Canadian Military Museum, Nanaimo, BC
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:13 am 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

Recently, we were on a trip that took us to Vancouver Island, part of British Columbia in Canada. We'd been here a couple of times before and overlooked the military museum in Nanaimo. Who knew? We went into their building and found lots of good stuff. When we entered, they said, "Are you a veteran? If so, admission is free." I said, "Any country?" and the answer was, "Yes."

The small arms displayed there consisted mostly of British Empire types, naturally enough, and captured enemy types. Here are some pictures. Sorry the quality isn't better. My camera died in Astoria, Oregon on the same trip so I had my son use his smartphone to snap them.

They had two examples of the Canadian Inglis (Browning HP made under license), nice clean examples which still had the factory decal on the front grip strap.

One of the Inglis pistols was in a display of naval small arms, right next to a butt-ugly Webley automatics.

That little copper gizmo next to the Inglis is a Royal Navy rum tot measure.

Lanchester SMG.

Webley .455 revolver

Enfield .380 revolver

I thought it was neat that they had an original manual for the Enfield.

Radom P.35 pistol

In their rifle racks, they had an MP.44, "world's firs assault rifle." (on left)

The sign said the origin of this dagger was unknown; as I was leaving, I mentioned it and they said that recently a museum visitor had said it was Italian. When I got home, I couldn't find a picture online of an Italian dagger that looked like it.

Portable air raid siren from WW2. Just the thing for raising hell with neighbors on the Fourth of July.

And who said that the Model 1894 Winchester wasn't a military rifle? Apparently, they were used by the Canadian Pacific Coast Militia Rangers (Indians).

Post subject: Re: Canadian Military Museum, Nanaimo, BC
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:36 am 
The Knife
The Knife

Very interesting.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:45 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

..very nice..!!!....I wish there was an Arms museum nearby,everything is mostly aviation...(not complainin'-just with there was somehing like that :Dbounce: )

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:08 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

If you find yourself in the Columbus area there is a fairly nice little military museum at 5075 South Hamilton Road in Groveport with a fair spread of everything. I think their website is www.mottsmilitarymuseun.org

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:32 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...why thank you very much...!!! :D ...I wasnt aware of its existance-its only around an hours drive away from me.... :bigrin: ...though I find the I-70 stretch a very boring ride... :roll: :crzy:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:00 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I most whole heartedly agree, that is one long dull drive. Be sure to find there web site before you go, it has been a year or two from my last visit and they were starting some changes then so I can't say just what is there now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:25 am 
The Knife
The Knife

It can't be any worse than I 75 down to Dayton which I have to do again on July 10 to get my new ears. The worst part is that it is orange barrel season.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:27 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

nifty photos gary , i like that mkI (no star) inglis - dont have an example of that early one , and ugly or not - i want the webley auto - its sorely missing from my collection ,
i see some other pieces id like to add as well