Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alliance, Nebr gun show report
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:47 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Not much to report. What a waste of time and the $5 admission! :roll: Sellers seem to think it's still last year & stuff is hard to get. Didn't see any EBRs under 1200. Guess what? Cabelas has them in stock for 795.

223 ammo for a buck a round. And that was the cheapest I saw. 7.62x54R... a green sardine tin marked @ $300. Criminy! :-o :-?

Saw a rough H&K P7 for 950. Gave less than that for my primo example. Steyr M.95 ( the most common one) for 350.

22lr? Saw Federal match @ 39.95/box of 325. Now I don't feel so bad about buying a full case for too much but a lot less than that. No bayonets to speak of - no old Weaver scopes for cheep. I always look for extreme bargains on those - Doc Sharptail is an old Weaver scope fan.

Oddly, there were primers. Plenty o' small pistol for the same price wally is charging. So I scored 1000 large pistol primers for the same money = $37. Not any more than wally is getting. I wanted 1000 cast 44 cal boolets, but that guy didn't make it. No biggy. I gots a mold & plenty o' lead.

Saw several people I knew. A guy I've known since 2nd grade country school was there with a couple tables. He was rubbing it in that he's retired & I'm not. We yukked it up for a half hour. His seester was a real cutie in school. Saw another fellow from my HS class. 63 and never married...

Probably has a lot to do with him being perpetual poster child for the Incurably Weird Foundation. Didn't speak to him. I would have but he was intent on telling war stories to various table holders. "I have one of those, and here's the story how I got it!" :roll:

Saw another guy I've known for a long time. We are actually shirt tail relation. He's a distant cousin to my bro's wifey. Time has not been kind to him. He looks more like Jabba the Hutt than Ken. Easily 450 pounds and can only get around in a mobility scooter. Now the Lord knows I am overweight, but by God's Grace, I haven't gotten nearly as bad as him.

He used to have a pawn shop in N Platte, Nebr & I bought a lot of guns from him in my budding gun nut days. He was haggling over a couple bottom end BP rifles. Looked like poorly-done CVA kits. I kept going.

Fewer tables than normal. The bee poop lady ( natural untreated honey) tried to offer me a sample but I passed. I only like bee poop on fresh, hot bisquits. Knife sharpener huckster guy was demo-ing his uber wonderful knife sharpener. Offered to sharpen my knife for free. Didn't have a toad stabber on me so pass. Beef jerky guy had some wonderful kind of bacon frying up & offering samples. Nah... passed.

A lonely looking geezer lady had a table of quilts... no takers.

So the trip wasn't a total loss, I drove downtown to a boot shop & grabbed a pair of blue Key Bibs to wear for work. Alliance used to be a cow town when I was a little geezer, but it's mostly railroaders now. Big BN coal yard there. I think the guy sells more RR bibs than high dollar cow pie hats.

Came home to find wifey in a sour mood. She is a big Nebr football fan & they bonked today. She's napping now. Good thing I started a big pot o' chicken & noodles before I left or it would have been slim pickings for supper.

Nuttin going on here this afternoon. I should mow the lawn, but as mentioned, she's napping & it wouldn't be considerate to fire up the mower. That's my A excuse for not mowing, anyway. Whatever works! ;) SW

Post subject: Re: Alliance, Nebr gun show report
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:14 am 

Just remembered... there was a 1917 Eddystone Enfield for 200. Stock had been shortened. Now I'm wondering how much the right stock, handguard and barrel bands would have cost.

Except I'm don't much care for 'cock on close' bolts. And I'm left handed. And I needed the 200 to pay for another Italian service revolver from gunborker. But it didn't seem like a bad deal at the time. SW

Post subject: Re: Alliance, Nebr gun show report
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:08 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

probably more than the gun but a worthwhile save if just for resale i think ,