Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Got some .30-06 from CMP today
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:46 pm 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

Back in early January, I ordered a can of 200 each HXP Greek surplus .30-06 that the CMP is selling. Keeping track of your order through CMP isn't all that clear. They don't date the order until it gets entered into the e-store computer, so my invoice says order date 2-12-14, which is just about a month after I sent it in.

So, this was supposed to be Greek HXP, non-corrosive. What arrived was a GI can with 140 rounds of HXP 1977 and 66 rounds of USGI TW 52, corrosive. Ehh, no big deal but I'd rather have had all HXP.

It was somewhat expensive, after shipping about 63 cents each. But maybe ammo will be better than paper money in the long run. I've still got several cans of .30-06 on en bloc clips in the bandoliers to use up, so this will likely be around for a long time. Mostly, I shoot handloads of my own. That way, I know exactly what propellant and how much has been used in the cartridge. I do like have some factory ammo on hand.

Post subject: Re: Got some .30-06 from CMP today
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:02 am 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....havent gotten anything thru CMP for a while,butnI'm on their email list and heard about all the delays and cost increases due to the ...(uuum...ahem)...'current climate' situations....I'm soooooo glad I'd stocked up on the good ol' LC ball before the current insanity,and when it was still a more reasonable price even before the HXP....who'd a thunk it'd get this ridiculous :-? ,but I guess things have "changed" :roll: ...if someone told you 6 years ago that things would be as they are now you'd have called THEM crazy... :-( .....never shot handloads of 30.06...I must be too 'old fashioned and like the surplus too much :rotflma: ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:58 am 
The Knife
The Knife

Wasn't it in the early 50s that they started to use non-corrosive primers?

Mario I have 06 dies.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:40 am 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

Rad, yes, you are correct. I just looked at the link in a post on this site that shows first "safe" dates for non-corrosive ammo, and it shows TW 51, so my TW 52 should be okay.