[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - CMP .308 Special M1 Rifle went to the range today

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CMP .308 Special M1 Rifle went to the range today
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:29 am 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

I was not disappointed. I fired five clips, 40 rounds total and it operated flawlessly. I had pre-adjusted the sights the best I could before taking it to the range (about eight clicks elevation from bottom for zero at 100 yards has worked for me before) and it was pretty close when first fired. Fine tuning brought point of impact to point of aim.

When it fires, it doesn't sound like a .30-06. The report from the .308 is quite different, a sharper pop than the .30-06. The ejection is different, too. The '06 case flies out to the right front at about one o'clock. The .308 flies out to the right rear, estimated about four o'clock.

When we all get together with our M1 Rifles to hold off the Red Chinese invasion at Brackett's Landing, you will easily be able to locate me on the battlefield by the unique sound of the .308.

This latest arrival sits with the other .308's, not the other M1 Rifles. I was thinking of how I could give it a unique appearance so as to be able to identify it at a glance as not being a .30-06. Something like the Brits did in WW2 when they marked anything chambered in .30-06 with red paint. I think for now, leaving it racked with the other .308's will do. I'm also going to leave the CMP tag on it as a sort of ID.

My other .308 Win. pieces are an Armalite AR10 and two Win. Model 70's. I have them all zeroed to the same load of .308 Win. ammo.

Post subject: Re: CMP .308 Special M1 Rifle went to the range today
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:43 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Sounds like it was a good range day! Did it kick about the same as a 30-06?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:34 pm 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:34 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....have noticed the same for a while....I still prefer wood stocks :grin: ...I must be gettin' old... :roll: :-?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:03 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

good to hear it works well for you and that you are pleased with it ,

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:14 pm 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

Crossing my fingers, this is the rifle I will shoot in an NRA high power service rifle match this coming weekend. One of the ranges where I am a member has a Memorial shoot every year about this time, close to but not on Memorial Day. I've taken second and third places before in the match, but usually some 15 year old in 4H Shooting Sports beats me to first place.

It's pretty casual, with emphasis on the memorial aspect. We have a flag-raising ceremony to start the match. Members are encouraged to stand up and speak about friends or relatives whom they want to remember at this time of year. Something like, "Today, I'm shooting in the memory of my grandfather who was in the 169th Engineer Battalion in Vietnam." Or something like that. This year, I'll mention my dad who was an Army Air Forces pilot in the Pacific in WW2. 2014 is the 30th anniversary of his death. Wow, 30 years rolls by very quickly. My own recall of being at his bedside at the time of his death is as if it happened yesterday.

This gathering is followed by the match itself, which is conducted in accordance with NRA rules, with permitted mods like allowing old, fat people to assume a different position than the phase might call for due to physical limitations. There is the usual lots of time involved in scoring, etc.

After shooting, we have a barbeque with all sorts of things to eat. It makes for a very pleasant morning.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:21 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

sounds fun and very in keeping with the memorial aspects of this time of year , i hope you have a wonderful time , shoot straight and true , good luck my friend

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:20 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:45 pm 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

plastic wasnt invented for 200yrs after my death :ow:
as long as there are trees....i will have wood stocks~ :rotflma:

i'm just so poor, i have to make my own rifles.....might start haveing to make my own powder if things get worse.... :crzy:

:m60:
marc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:17 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

ya-hey , tried to find hodgdons clays the other day - late 14 is the best prediction , everything is impossible to find in any quantity , i am thinking conspiracy - never used to be this way till the libs lost on gun control ..........