[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - ....am I seeing this right..???

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ....am I seeing this right..???
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:58 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....when Gschwertly posted about the Remington 742 with bayo I'd never been to that wesite he linked...so for the heck of it I started looking around at other stuff on there-but in Ohio....when I saw this I did a double take....pics aint the greatest but did someone do this to a GARAND...????? :-o :-o :-o

2788656_01_springfield_m1_garand_640.jpg
2788656_01_springfield_m1_garand_640.jpg [ 35.26 KiB | Viewed 8214 times ]

Post subject: Re: ....am I seeing this right..???
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:09 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I'd be leery it was a re-welded receiver. SW

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:51 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...it was listed as a M1 Garand with a "shortened barrel"....believe me...I wasnt llokin to buy,I was just curious what was 'out there'...and was a bit 'shocked' to see it... :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:03 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

I've seen the same thing done to German G43's and about puked!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:18 am 

Also a 1941 Johnson rifle. Some idiot honked himself out of at least 3000! SW

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:16 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

You guys will love this.
About 4 years ago while managing the range I would also work the firing lines with my RSO's. We had an area called The Pit, a deep ravine left over from the coal mining days.
Anyway shooters could rapid fire at junk that they threw or walked down in to the pit on cease fires. I was called over by a group of shooters that lets just say had very pronounced brow ridges and a propensity to breath through their mouths. They were having a terrible time with a stuck cartridge, live one in the chamber no less. And they wanted to borrow our brass knockout rod and a hammer to drive it out with." Noooo! Let me look first" Well they had a very nice at one time G43 that they had painted flat black with some bed liner material, everything, wood, metal, everything. I had a slight feeling of anger and nausea, but held my mud.
Yep, live round stuck in the chamber, about 1/4" to 3/8" sticking out, rim flared over, yes I said RIM. Because it was a .30-40 Krag round and they had been banging into the chamber with the bolt. We got it out and I told them this wasn't the correct ammo for the rifle and not to do that again. They argued that this was the right ammo and they had shot this ammo with their Grandpap before he passed away and they got the rifle after he croaked and it was the only ammo he had for the rifle. Luckily it was the only ammo they had on hand and no other toys to play with so they left. But they were sure proud of the customizing job they ahd did to Grandpap's rifle he brung back from the war.
And that gentlemen is just one story of one day of seven years worth. Sometime I will tell the story of the "Blind Man with the Thompson", that was fun also.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:24 am 

You should write a book!!

I once tried to talk an old fart out of rebluing his 1892 Krag in excellent condition. "Nope! I'll never get rid of it & I want it to look new!" SW

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:24 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

It may be a Straightpull conversion of a Garand.
Some extremely hot "Ram Magnum" rifles were built on straight pull Grand conversions. I think J P Herter built these first.
If a vintage Ram Magnum rifle it may have collector interest.

Australians sometimes converted semi auto Military rifles to straight pull 7.7X54R target or hunting rifles.

If straight pull the bright metal tube is a guide for the cut down op rod rather than a gas tube.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:00 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Rebel49, your probably talking about the old Buffalo Rock Shooters Supply that blew up around 1987 or so, the family re-grouped and opened up the pit for a small fee. I shot there one time and that was enough, too many oddballs and to little control at that time. Back on topic, I recently saw a sported Garand locally complete with chromed buttplate, gas tube, and jeweled bolt. All attached to a high gloss monte carlo stock, with many coats of good ole Lin-Speed. Some of those were done back in the day when those guns were a dime a dozen, they weren't drooled over like they are now as collectibles. Some were re-barreled also to .308

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:17 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Yep Shuvelrider that's the place. I actually managed it from 05 to 12 and was successful in weeding out the asshats. We had 14 RSO's when I left and we ran a very safe range. Prior to me taking over it was a mad house. But it was the only place available to shoot outdoors if you didn't belong to a club. I shot there on and off from 71 till I retired to my shop in 2012.
The Pit is no longer. The DNR and the state AG shut it down for projectiles leaving the property ( never happened, but they had more money than us to fight in court) so now it is just pistol, shotgun and rifle ranges.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:51 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

I had access to the old Bailey Falls area, Vermillion River from there up to Lowell, and all the farmland and woods almost to Tonica. I grew up In LaSalle, but my dad grew up on a small farm near Bailey Falls. Did all my shooting wandering around in all that woods, and in the old Marquette Quarry (LoneStar). Buffalo Rock way back was always kinda being watched by the ATF, he kept a lot of full auto stuff out there that got burned up in the fire. The story was there was a conex buried on the property that held even more gun goodies, kept hidden from the feds. The explosion was determined to be caused by his reloading machines, powder residue and static electricity don't mix. The place wasn't the cleanest operation. I still have a box of reloads (.357) from there, they were in my dads stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:37 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

once , a long time ago on a far different site i was told that you cannot tell the 'owner' what he should do about his possession , that said - we who understand that we are the curators of our possessions look upon these differently , i have , on occasion , prefaced my remarks with "not tellin you" and gotten good results in that approach , but not always , and we cannot undo what has already happened , often its a pitty - too often its a blasphemy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:32 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

I'm actually now a member of Sandy Ford Sportsman's Club.
I've known the family at Buffalo for a lot of years. Sparkie's daughter now owns it and we are still good friends. I know about the conex box and if it's a true story I have a VERY good idea where it is. Only thing is the owner doesn't want it dug up. Not sure what is in it, but there again I have pretty fair idea.
I'm a transplant to Lasalle Co. moved here in 83 from up in the Round Lake area ( 7 miles from the WI. state Line) for a job. I live in a nice quiet town of 950. But sooner than later the weather and this crappy state will drive me out and force me further south.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:56 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

:jmp: We will never know, and that's as it should be. The less the gov knows, the better.