[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - WWI Flic

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:07 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

.......on what...//?tv/video/dish/dvd?????...when was it made-doesnt ring a bell... :thnk:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:28 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Was a pretty decent movie. Ya don't see too many WWI pictures nowadays when one comes along, so I'm always glad to see oe.

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:08 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

i think it came out in theaters early last year. i know it's been on dvd at least since january, that's when i bought my copy.

y'all have a good day, Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:22 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

It was a good movie, the story and acting were kind of corny, but the air to air combat scenes were outstanding, CGI or no. I bought it, and am about ready to watch it again. :m60:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:53 am 
Colonel
Colonel

That was one i rather enjoyed. Its hard to find a good WW1 movie these days!!

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:03 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Based on real events. Truth is cornier than fiction?

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:39 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Ok, Brian, I'll clarify my comment. True story in that there was a Lafayette Escadrille(Americans flying for the French). But the characters and dialogue are right out of a comic book, IMO. Not realisitic or gritty, and way too bright and clean, not like Apocalypse, or Cross of Iron. Some movies kind of approximate war and archival footage, this one was done by someone who saw too much Andy Griffith. Sorry, its a great film, the battle scenes are some of the best I've seen, but the the surrounding celluloid was a yawner for me. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:56 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Could be,but taht corny storyline got my wife to actually watch it with me.
After a bit.I do believe she kinda got into the dogfight thing too.. TR

Rome fell because it had a Senate-what will become of us with both a Senate and a House-Will Rogers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:23 pm 
Captain
Captain

I saw it too, not long ago.
I took it in a comic book kina way, as they were always fighting the Red Baron....real clean and such....but a good one in that perspective.

Truly, if you can see the silent movie "Wings" made in 1926 with the real "Chit' and the fellows that flew them, directed by the very fellows who flew spruce and canvas, OV-8 powered suicide specials...one of those pre-animation, "all animals were maimed and killed in the making of this motion picture"
Right up there with "All quiet on the western Front" type WW1 movies.

I'd watch Flyboys again, if the opportunity arose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:37 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

.....okeedoke....sounds interesting........I'll track it down.... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:10 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I have always felt 'All Quiet on the Western Front' was the last word in war movies and books. I just borrowed the book from the library again today.

'Das Boot' was a good movie & the book was even better. True, there is much depravity in the book, but I feel it underscores the men's conviction they hadn't long to live.

It's not often you get an 'inside the helmet' feeling for what was going on.

'The Blue Max' was an entertaining movie, but a little cheesy. SW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:38 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

.......Band of Brothers...???..........thats pretty 'inside the helmet' to me... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:36 am 
Captain
Captain

Yaaaaaaaaa.....Das Boot, editors cut sits on my shelf, next to Band of Brothers.
I actually had the english translation of the original book that Das Boot was made from, written by the war corraspondant who took th eride and wrote what he saw. Like BoB. Damn if it never came back from a loan out!Das Boot followed it VERY closely.
If two WW1 books could ever be made into movies I would LOVE to see the Psyco Killer, W. Mc Brides "A rifleman went to war , and his sequal "The Emma Gees"put on the screen.......heck, throw in Ernest Jungers book "Storm of Steel" for a German point of view ,......that would be something!
I sure liked the movie "Those daring young men and their flying machines" about a race in the early 20th centurey with all kina planes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:10 am 
Corporal
Corporal

a week ago I went to a sidewalk sale here in MT and found two very interesting books. one was "Aircraft Inspection Methods" written in 1940, and the prize was "A History of the Great War" first edition written in 1919 exactly one year after the end of WWI. I'm 1/4 of the way through it and it's great information even though it was definately written by the winners.

the attitude expressed by the author towards the germans explains a lot to me about the set up to WWII politicaly. plus it has some great illustrations.

total expenditure: $4.00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:35 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

But where else can you see a Bi-wing bomber or a Zeplin? And the end when he shoots the ...............okay I won't give away the ending but at what 90 mph he's better than I am with a pistol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:19 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook