[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - DD Form 214

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DD Form 214
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:39 pm 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

After a person has served on active duty in the US Armed Forces, upon separation, they receive a document that both summarizes and certifies their active service for the period served. This document is called a DD Form 214. When I finished my extended tour in Vietnam in 1972, I returned to Oakland Army Base to separate from my active Army service. Just before they kicked us loose after many, many hours of processing, we were taken into a room and presented with our DD Forms 214, which we then signed. We were told at the time that this document was very important and we might need it often after we separated from the service. Over the years, I have had to provide copies of my DD Form 214 for various purposes, mostly for federal civilian service appointments. By this time, my DD 214 has been in my personnel folder for many years. I've seen it there several times myself when examining my personnel folder.

Recently, I filled out the various many forms necessary for retirement from federal civilian service, and of course, what do they want more of? My DD Form 214, in three copies no less. It's a good thing that I was listening back in 1972 when they told us we might need this some time in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:46 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

When I got out in 70, I was told it was a good idea to have a copy on file with the county clerk. I did so and am not sorry as the original is getting a little ratty.

Since these are public record when thus filed, I looked through a few she had in the enormous binder & there in gross understatement was the accounts of some combat vets living in that small town I knew personally who had never uttered a word of their experiences.

One was the meat cutter at a gro where I carried groceries when I was in HS. He was a Marine & had quite a list of commendations... the kind you don't get for simply attending the meetings promptly.

You just can't tell by looking. SW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:39 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:35 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

I have had to use mine a couple of times. Once when I applied for a job with the state prison and when I applied for VA benefits as I had no hospitalization. When I got out of service I filed mine with the clerk of courts. Going to have to give them a call and see if those are still public record as there is personal identification on them.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:18 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....mine has come in handy many times........... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:12 am 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

One of the reasons we were told to carry a copy with us is because the Vietnam War was still underway, and so was the draft. It was a time that if you were detained by the police for some reason, if you didn't have documentation of military or draft status, you might be subject to further detention while they checked on your status. During the Vietnam War, civil police were routinely called upon to check out AWOL and deserter status Army personnel in their jurisdiction, so were familiar with the kind of paperwork a service member might need to prove he should be "back on the block." Like a set of leave or PCS orders or a DD Form 214. Having the DD Form 214 was an easy way to clear up why you might be in a certain place at a certain time. Police departments then and now are often populated with a hefty percentage of veterans; during the Vietnam era they were solidly in the ranks of the "Silent Majority" and in particular large metropolitan departments had to deal with anti-establishment demonstrators and hangers-on. I imagine that some of these officers might have been interested in holding a person for a while to determine his military status.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:57 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i was told my draft card would be necessay in the future as im in a "holding pattern" [could be called up at any time] but oddly enough it has never been asked for since it issuence - still in my wallet tho ,
and no that round thing that everyone carried is not beside it - although it would have gotten just about as much use :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:19 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...still got my draft card too.....wonder what it would bring on ebay... :roll:

:lol :grin: :lol :grin: :lol :grin: ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:49 am 
Corporal
Corporal