Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sooo , the other night i got to thinking ...............
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:54 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

yes , i had been drinking ..........

i decided i needed extra mags for my 'working pistols' - 22s and 9mm's and 45acp's --

after dragging out my bags i found my 1911 mags sufficient , i forgot how many i had bought back when i was shooting three gun , i have a lot - i dont have to think about using my early vintage mags for these , they can stay with the collectibles they belong with , i only shoot the original kimbers and chip mccormicks i bought back then ,

similarly the browning hi-power was sufficiently covered as i shot that for three gun as well a lifetime ago , so i dont need to use my original inglis for that either , they can stay with the collectors they belong with too ,

i checked my browning buckmark i use for steel plate and decided i could use a couple and placed the order , happy to get them but im going to have to try them to ensure they work - reason to go to the range with that one , this one has a trigicon halo dot on it that i bought a custom rail for - it works great so im happy here ,

i had just bought the S&W victory that came deficient so i ordered those , glad to get them and also a range trip in order so good on me , this one has original iron sights and will remain so [even tho it came with an optic rail] i need an open gun to compliment the browning ,

the S&W M59 i carry a lot was a question soooo i ordered a couple , here is the rub - when i bought it i seemed to recall buying the spares he had but i could not find them anywhere ,
remember i mentioned alcohol was involved ?
i ordered a couple --- tonight when they showed up i went to load and put them away for another range trip ----------------------yup i found the ones i kinda knew i had but could not locate ,
i loaded them up and while putting in the bag to go try out i found the others - i now have 5 for this one too , enough to shoot three gun with it if i was still doing that , way more than im going to carry on my person on a day-in-day out basis , but i got them so i guess im set too well on that one , i wont have to spend time loading at the range when i go to shoot it .......
i will be honest its more than i needed , the three i had was sufficient had i found them last week when i was ordering and the ones i had work great ,

thankfully i did not order any for the S&W M39 , i have three for that and i no longer carry it , i have three for it and im relegating it to the collection as its a VN vintage , the special forces had them there ,

and last but not last except in size i did not order any for the colt 380 , i really only carry it when im wearing a suit , i have three and that will do for that old girl ,

so im going to say - look first order second , do it sober so you dont end up with more than you want , JUST SAYIN .......

Post subject: Re: sooo , the other night i got to thinking ...............
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:34 pm 
Major
Major

That was a good read. I like having spares, especially for carry guns or guns I shoot alot.
I have MANY auto pistols and although I like to have at least 3-4 for each, the price of spares can be appalling.
For example: Have 2 Llama 22's and 4 Llama .380's. Do I try for 3 spares Each gun? Mags are $40.
That could equate to $720. Or move the spares with the gun? That would be a little more reasonable, like $240.
That is still too expensive just to say I have spares.
Those guns mentioned are just the surface. Have Berettas,Keltecs, Colts, Rugers, Smith's, AMT, Rock Islands,etc. Heck I'd need 75 mags, all now pricey.
I think I will just reload the single or spare as needed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:24 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I have sworn off beer & gunborker at the same time! :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:20 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

.....sober or not.....not having the $$$ saves my ass everytime.... :Dbounce: ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:02 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

im not going to say what anyone needs as far as spares go - i know what i needed when i was shooting and unfortunately some of that got ingrained in my thinking , i will admit that i have too many for some , i have the three i feel i need for others and i only needed the one that it came with for a few others , in general three suffices for me except the competition guns had 5 to 10 , the single stacks more the double stacks less , there is only so much time between stages to reload and still be a participant in the non-shooting needs of the stage like reset and such , i like to have at least two stages loaded so im not holding things up ,

for cowboy i start with six stages loaded and that usually gets me thru the first day without the annoyance of reloading , i can do that back at camp that evening for the next days shoot , we only shoot 20 rounds per stage of rifle/pistol so its easy to have preset , three gun was different - it moves faster , preloaded mags was a must , extras was a plus , i have a lot of 223 and 308 mags too , now that i no longer shoot it does not mean i abandon the thinking , ill keep them ready for the go bag gear ,

i think what i was getting at was that we all have a lot of stuff that we have not seen in a while and maybe should get used a little more , and in some cases we have some we forgot ? i know when i bought the M59 , which ive wanted since i foolishly passed on it back when , i was offered the spares , i could not imagine my passing them up , but when i could not find them i got a little obsessed with the idea they were needed , i should have looked a little harder , they were where i put them and it was an obvious place , its just that i had not been there in a while ,

and of course it was late and i had a couple beers , so i said to myself as long as i was ordering - i best get those as well , in the end its at least three excuses to go to the range and with the purchases not yet shot and the changes made over the last year to a few , i think i need to go a dozen times , should be a fun summer me thinks if i can fit it all in ,

i am not unhappy i bought them really , im just sad that i did not need them to satisfy my inner desire in reality , three would have sufficed , but five means i dont need to reload during a trip to the range , i will state here i did not pay what ya-all are suggesting for what i bought but i spent some time shopping - it was fun for that reason , the only ones that even approached that cost were the victory mags but i knew they would and i had saved for them since i bought the thing - it sorta irritates me that it came without the spares but such is the world today , and perhaps most buyers today dont see the need for them ? perhaps the industry decided we would feather their pockets to have what we all want and need so left them out ? that is partly how i felt when i bought the M59 - i think the seller got the extras with it and could have included them in my sale but when i evaluated the cost it felt reasonable in the end ,

i wish i had remembered where they were , ill not forget again , all that gear is in the same bag now , including the three holsters i have for it , IWB , OWB , blackhawk serpa , one in the gun and two in each of the double pouches i had that were not being used - how about that ? i put extras into service