Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What's you favorite 9m/m ammo for short barreled semi-a
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:17 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Guy I know casually was pontificating at lunch today on the superiority of the 9m/m over the .45 acp "because of all the new ammo technology" out there. So I'm now curious, what is your S.D. ammunition choice for a ultra-compact 9m/m semi-auto?

Post subject: Re: What's you favorite 9m/m ammo for short barreled semi-a
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:36 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I use Hornady FTX Critical Defense 115 grainers in my H&K P7 which is what I carry concealed.

Then I use CCI "flying ashtrays" in my 645 S&W revolver.

I don't think caliber or ammo matters as much as a lot of practice with whatever gun you can shoot accurately and comfortably. SW

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:57 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Totally agree, shot placement trumps everything. But I was wondering what you people liked to use.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:45 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

in my carry guns - yes i have more than one in 9mm and more than one in 45 i load with standard ball , i have at least three different types of PP ammo but i just dont trust them to feed when needed - as stated its shot placement that will stop an attack

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:41 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

My apologies, I reread my post and it wasn't real clear. I'm asking if any of the new 9m/m short barreled S.D. ammunition actually is as capable as is being claimed? I understand the higher velocities of a lite weight bullet from a 3 inch barrel but it seems to me that that bullet despite it's velocity may be lacking in penetration due to it's lack of weight thus partially nullifying shot placement. So are these "wonder ammunitions" actually as effective a defensive ammunition as is S.D. ammunition made for use in a full sized 9m/m?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:56 pm 

I haven't seen any photos of wound damage, but given the average distance for self defense with a gun is around 7 yards, I *think* a hot 115 grainer would do all right unless your opponent was wearing a heavy wool trenchcoat or similar.

I do consider 9mm to be the bottom end of serious self defense, though. Even in hot weather I still carry my P7. SW

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:16 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

I have been getting the best accuracy with 147 grain from freedom munitions.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:30 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i cannot attest to what was asked , i shoot the ball ammo , but i have multiple packages of self defence/offence ammo including shot , i will not feed my defence weapon any of these just because of what i said above , on the other hand i may one day under the right conditions , but it will not be my carry gun ,

that said i carry a 45 , im not going to a gunfight under-gunned , not that i consider the 9mm an inferior round -i dont , i have these , its just that the 45 is where my heart is , and what i carry ,

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:29 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Try watching "tnoutdoors" on You Tube. He does some very good videos on a lot of different cartridges. He's not some shlock like some of the ones on there, his tests have some real thought put into them.
Asquare I'm still carrying a .45 Commander and I do use +P Federal HST's, it's what our County boys use and if it's good enough for them I'll use them. Another good choice is Federal BPLE9 for 9mm, it's pretty hot, but it's going extinct and is sometimes hard to find. Lucky I laid in a big stash.
I also carry at times my Steyr M357 in 357 SIG 125Gr., I figure a 9mm bullet at about 1400fps is going to do what I need done if it comes to that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:57 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

rebele49 , im real happy with that stainless sig , i added a viridian light lazer and its my go to home gun , do not enter my home unannounced , that said i carry my kimber ul-tra carry II , the sig is a handful and not a carry gun really , i do love it tho ,

i have some 9mms but they get carried only when they fit the need - the S&W M59 replaced the M39 these have the advantage of carry hot with double action/single action response , i like it for the range because i dont have to conceal what i am carrying , the mags are large enough to not be concealable easily as well ,

i have my EMP that is a little lighter to carry when im in a suit with a dress belt and that almost never happens anymore , it fits my ITWB holsters without concern , again the extra mags are no easier than the 45s ,

and then i have my colt 380 , its slim and trim , and fits the almost not there holster , for the dress occassion or when i dont want to look like i could even consider carrying , i dislike the limited magazine and if i carry the spares it cancels my maskerade , i need some concealable mag holders ,

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:21 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....depends on my situation....have a couple 9mm I carry but I usually carry my SR1911 and alternate with my .45 XDS with regular ball ammo in light of recent shootings over the last year or so,sincer our pastor at church contacted me after they approved conceal carry within the church and I was asked to choose and organize group of qualified individuals as armed security there ...if the situation ever unfortunately ever arose....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:41 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

It is sad that churches have to do that but it has become necessary I fear. While I prefer my light weight commander in church it usually is a P-11 in the pocket at church, that way I can take off my jacket.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:13 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

so i was looking for something else and came across the box of ammo my son gave me - fits this topic , its a box of underwood ammo - superior , high performance , 9mm luger , 65 grain Xtreem Defender , 1700fps , this is one of the fifteen boxes of specialty 9mm i have ,

i have a box of CCI 9mm luger shotshells , 1/8th oz #12 shot , not much good for anything but really small pest control , but one never knows what one might need in a certain situation ,

for larger varmint pests i have a box of 12ga , 2 3/4" , max dram [probably equal to 3],1 3/8oz , #4 bismuth no tox

i dont really shoot this stuff much , like i said i shoot standard ball for practice and carry ,