[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Return trip to my Alma Mater at Fort Ord, California

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Return trip to my Alma Mater at Fort Ord, California
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:31 am 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

While I was in California recently, I took a side trip to Fort Ord, where I served my Basic Combat Training in 1969. Fort Ord was closed as an active Army post in the 1990's, and slowly over time it is being dismantled and converted to other purposes. The US Army still retains a slice of it along the eastern edge for use by the USAR. Some of it has been converted to the California University at Monterey Bay, other parts are used by local municipality functions, and a corner of it has been developed into a shopping center. The former Army airfield is the City of Marina airport. The rifle ranges along the beach have been converted to a state park beach. Gradually, it is fading away as a military facility that for many years was the scene of much military activity and the home of thousands of soldiers.

I was in Company B, 3rd Battalion, 4th BCT Brigade. This was abbreviated as B-3-4. To make sure trainees didn't wander around from one area to another, we had while stripes sewed above our name tags with B-3-4 written on them. These were called "Maggot Tags."

My old B-3-4 barracks building still stands, unused. It is Building 4556. It may eventually be refurbished as classrooms for the university. It is locked and boarded up, but one of the doors had been kicked in by local partying teenagers, so I went on in and up to my old squad room. The old layout with large squad bays had been diced up with walls for for privacy during the "beer in the barracks" days of the late 1970's. In BCT, I wasn't in one of the squad bays, but was in a six man room along the hall. I was able to go right to this exact room and the latrine next door.

The following pictures were taken in 1969 when I was in BCT.

The Mormon boys from a Utah ARNG MI translator unit in Salt Lake:

gschwertley in 1969:

This soldier's name was Bob Schiller and I knew him in junior high school. He became a military policeman.

This is gschwertley with his trusty M-14 rifle, standing in the company street.

This picture was taken in the six-man room that I was quartered in. Sitting on the bunk is a soldier named Gary Manning, whom I had gone to elementary school with. He became a medic. Standing at left in the background is a soldier named Lynn Sorrells. He was from Texas, later deserted from the Army, and died in prison in California.

This picture below shows the same camera angle in the same room as the picture above. I took this picture last month. Some time in the 1970's, this room was converted to NCO quarters and a toilet was added in the corner.

This picture shows our latrine next door, taken last month, which didn't look all that different.

This picture was also taken last month, and shows a view down the former company street. If you look at the 1969 pictures above that show soldiers sitting in the street, rifles piled up, etc, this is the same place.

The next picture is one I took of my old barracks in April 1972, while I was passing by the post.

This was taken of the same building in 1975 late on a foggy day when I was in the area while at National Guard Annual Training at Camp Roberts.

Below is a picture of the same building last month.

Other highlights of Fort Ord:

The large PT field across the road from my barracks in which we spent a considerable amount of time during BCT (taken in 1972):

Horizontal ladder conveniently located next to a chow hall. Sometimes, you had to cross this ladder before you could enter for a meal (taken in 1972):

The next two pictures were taken in 1976 and were in the former US Army Reception Station at Fort Ord. When you first entered the Army, before you actually started Basic Training, you spent several days up to a week in the Reception Station. This is where you took tests, were issued uniforms, got shots, and so forth, plus spent a lot of time learning about Army chickens**t. Here, we didn't yet have drill sergeants, but minders who were called "roster guides." This is where I learned how to clean glass windows with plain water and newspaper. This is also where a few guys went out onto the little roof edge above the first floor to clean second floor windows, only to fall off and never make it "up the hill" to BCT.

This first picture shows the first building I was in in the Army. When we got off the Greyhound Bus, we were sent into this building for the first go-around. We were given pencils without erasers to fill out some form or another, and when one inductee asked for an eraser, the lieutenant in front of us said, "You're in the Army now, we don't make mistakes, so we don't use erasers." That is my nice, black 1961 Lincoln sitting next to the building.

We cleaned windows and waxed floors in these buildings while we were waiting for something to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:02 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:51 pm 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:16 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

Post subject: Re: Return trip to my Alma Mater at Fort Ord, California
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:48 pm 

I came across your series of photos from Fort Ord. I started basic training there in 1970, then off to Fort Bragg and then to Vietnam.

I have a group on Flickr which is a collection of photos soldiers have taken while at FOrt Ord, and I would hope you might consider adding your stories and images about Fort Ord to my group.

This link will take you there... http://www.flickr.com/groups/1411838@N23/

Thanks for your consideration.

If for some reason the link doesn't work, you can gain access to my Flickr photos though my website, www.HighAboveTexas.com. While you are there, look up my images of Apache helicopters from Fort Hood.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:43 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Welcometo the forum.

Are you from the Ft. Hood area?

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:16 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I saw his location as central TX that's why I asked. Just wondering if on an off chance he knew my good friend TXPete.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:01 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

He did. That is the reason I asked if he was from that area in the first place

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:10 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

im about 30 miles from ripley [its actally south of brainerd , mn] ill make it a point to visit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:20 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

.......well I sure dont miss the time we spent in the WW2 barracks they stuffed us into at Great Lakes NTC before we were ready for the newer ones they built :rotflma:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:46 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

this part of the country can be mighty in-hospitable at times but there is much to redeem it , im glad they built something substantial to house what would be only seasonal up here , ill go check it out ....maybe take some photos , thanks mac ,

i gotta say the time i lived in the quad cities i always wanted to visit the rock island arsenal - then when i worked on the island i just wanted off , never got to enjoy it as i would today , dont want that to happen again ,

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:38 am 
The Knife
The Knife

The air base at Cheyenne was built before WW1. The building were brick with large open bays. My first duty assignment we were housed in those type. When I transferred to base police I was in a remodeled barracks that had two person rooms and a modern rest room and shower facilities. They had built new building for the missile crews and a new mess hall.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:33 pm 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

Updated information re. Fort Ord. In 2012, President Obama signed an act that designated a large portion of the former Fort Ord as a National Monument under the supervision of the Bureau of Land management. This property is mostly the back-country east of the garrison area. There is a large part of the monument that is still nominally under US Army jurisdiction due to ordnance impact area hazards; when cleared this section will also be open to the public for recreational use supervised by the BLM.

The garrison area had previously been given away to various entities, such as the City of Marina, CA State University, and a portion retained for use by the army. The northern area of the garrison is under development with commercial and industrial properties. CDCEC (Combat Developments Command Experimentation Command) Hill is still mostly there with the 1940 barracks, but a bit of it was eaten away at the southwest corner for a commercial complex.

The 1953-54 concrete ("new") barracks that I was quartered in for BCT still stand and many are in use by the university.

Speaking of CDCEC, they used to have Camp Hunter-Liggett to the south as their playground. As Fort Ord has disappeared, Hunter-Liggett has been given Fort status and now enjoys a role as a joint maneuver area of some importance. If I'm not mistaken, Hunter-Liggett is where R. Lee Irmey did his "Mail Call" series, or if not on post, quite nearby on the nearby Los Padres National Forest.

There are a couple of good movies from the past that use Fort Ord as a location for filming. One is "Soldier in the Rain" (1963) with Jackie Gleason, Steve McQueen and the then-lovely Tuesday Weld. The other is "The Girl He Left Behind" (1956) with Tab Hunter and the unforgettable Natalie Wood. Period scenes of Fort Ord are throughout both of these pictures.