[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Entry Weapon Carbine Caliber?

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

9mm or 45acp?
9mm 38%  38%  [ 6 ]
45acp 63%  63%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 16
 Post subject: Entry Weapon Carbine Caliber?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:48 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Well, as usually goes: I say I'm going to stockpile ammo, then other things come up that distract me.

I'm thinking about getting a Beretta CX4 storm. But I'm debating on getting either the 9mm or the 45acp. They're both the same price. I'm only wondering though which size to get. They use standard Beretta magainzes (which for the 9mm is only 15 rounds, but there are aftermarket superhicaps out there) Or the 45acp (which is only 8, and I havent really looked to see if there are any larger capacity mags out there)

9 dosent have much stopping power. But 45 has more expensive ammo. Any thoughts out there?

Now getting the 45 adds another caliber to my arsenal, but I'm still planning on getting a Thompson someday.

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:07 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I agree with your arguments on the 9 vs. the .45 If it were my personal arm I would go .45 calibre.

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:28 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

i much prefer the .45 acp. hear that the .40 cal is a good compromise though.
really depends on whether you're gonna have to carry the carbine and ammo any kind of distance. you can hump more 9mm for the same weight, or the same number of rounds for less weight.

y'all have a good day, Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:44 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I will add in my 2 cents on this one from a Law Enforcement side, I'm old school with a lot of things but the new idea (and I've seen it proved) is the 223 round for a true entry/indoor clearing weapon. A good shorty AR and or mini 14 will work if your thinking of a carbine length weapon.

Tests have shown that a 9, 40, or 45 will travel through walls where as the 223 will tumble or frag and not travel as far. Still my old school thoughts have me getting ready to convert my Uzi carbine to 40cal for some reason.

I do like the look of the Beretta storm and there is a nice looking after market stock for it. My choice for it would be 9mm for the hi cap mags.

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Last edited by Mybusa on Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:03 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...I kinda lean toward a .45 :P .....really wish I had one... :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:36 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Heres a nice photo of the Storm with cool paint job.

Ok sorry the last photo just jumped in there.

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:40 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

You just had to do that didnt you :twisted: Now I really want one :!:

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:52 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Do what? I have no idea what you meen, its just a girl-ah gun yeah thats it a gun!! :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:29 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I had this debate a while back myself. Wound up going with a Ruger PC-9(9mm). I was torn between it and the storm for a while. In the end I chose the 9 because I already had a 9mm handgun. Had I had a 40 or .45 that probably would have tipped the scales equally.
In my mind it's more utillitarian if the mags or at least ammo can be shared with a handgun.
And that extra bbl length adds velocity.
I'm happy to tell you that after about 1,000 rounds it's still a joy to shoot. Especially after a few hundred rounds of 6.5x55!
It's a neat concept and I think everybody who shoots should have a pistol caliber carbine. There.
jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:19 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I'm just back and forth.

9mm is cheaper, and with this you get more rounds, and I've already got a bunch of mags that would work in it.

45acp is B.A., more expensive, and for now lower capacity.

Supposedly Beretta is working on higher cap mags for the CX4

Why can't I afford both? :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:01 pm 
Size does matter!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:21 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

Personaly I would go with an M4 Carbine with an Olympic arms .45 ACP upper. It uses converted .45 Uzi mags so you still have some decent capacity.

I love my AR varients.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:35 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:47 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Here is a page from the handbook they give you when you move here:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:33 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:09 am 
Corporal
Corporal

Just go with the 45 man. And I will get the Montgomery Ward shot gun :D and a Mosin......and an AK-47 and a few a hand guns....the addiction has started. Thanks a lot Gatsby and Bruce. :ak:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:15 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Yeah, I'm gonna get the .45acp. Now I just need to finish my AR first.

TOO MANY GUNS!!!!!! I NEED MORE GUNS!!!!!!!! YOU NEED MORE GUNS!!!!!!!!

Did ya have fun with that lever action 30-30 today? I need to get something lever action. Maybe a nice Norinco? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:18 am 
Corporal
Corporal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:20 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:24 am 
Corporal
Corporal