[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Another Colt 1917 question

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another Colt 1917 question
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:50 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I know a good number of you blokes have at least one of these, so here goes.
I got it home, found a goodly number of 1/2 and full moons, got some ammo, went to the range, fired the first shot...keyhole.
Unloaded it and took a good look see. Can't believe I missed it before I shot it, but it's smoothbore. Bare as a babies butt.
What's the deal with that?
It's mirror-like on the inside, still looks factory...no grooves.
It is U.S. marked and shows no signs of alteration in any way.
jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:19 pm 
Major
Major

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:00 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Been burning up the web and can't find anything about a smoothbore 1917.
A little help would be much appreciated.
I happened to have a .410 shell handy, and it doesn't fit in any of the chambers.
There are absolutely NO markings that would indicate anything other than standard issue.
I will agree with you M14man, that this is not good news for me and my recent purchase.
jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:17 pm 
Major
Major

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:19 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I'm 100% with you man. Came to the same conclusion about the time I figured it wasn't like it should be.
Happens I know the seller, and he's an 01 FFL, I'll see what we can do. We just both missed it is all....
I sure don't need this thing in this state. Would love an original 1917 after it all clears though.
jon

Post subject: sleve it..........
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:40 am 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

http://www.johntaylormachine.com/79.0.html

this fellow can re-line it for you~ :grin:

and he could do it in something like a 256win caliber :-o
THAT would be different!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:45 am 
Colonel
Colonel

I paid a visit to an old friend who has the knowing of all military (at least he answers many of my questions). I asked him about your pistol and the first words out of his mouth was does it have any British proof markings on it.

It seams in England during the first stages of their gun control movement certain guns that were going to be baned could be kept if you had a shot gun/smooth bore license. Even though you could not even fit a shotgun shell in it as long as it was a smooth bore it could be registered as such and kept.

John spent many years going to the UK and buying even Bren's that were complete and functionable but had been bored to a smooth bore. He would then import the firearms here and tear them down for parts.

Check for any marks on it and that may explain the bore.

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:47 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

That's an awfull good try man, but no joy. I was hoping for just that kind of tale to make it make since.
At least then I'd have some kind of story...
The only markings are U.S.
There are no import marks.
Other than pretty serrious holster ware on the trigger guard area it's in great shape.
Which again makes little since. If it got that much use?...
Right now I'm more worried about getting rid of it legally than anything else.
But again, thanks for the try! I think that your theory may still hold water though, even though there's no Britt marks on it...
It doesn't seem to have been rechambered, or altered in any other way. So that's sounding good.
jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:46 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

Just a thought.....
Possibly a surplus purchase by a colonial power or a newly independent country.....altered as a crowd control arm?

Like the .410 (?) SMLEs India used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:14 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

Been chasing this all over Google.

Found some VERY vague references to smoothbore 1911s.

Also a mention of smoothbore New Service revolvers....one suggested it is a good idea to get a letter from Colt to confirm the smooth barrel is factory.
The NS smoothies are fairly valuable if I get it right.

Exhibition shooters?
Like the old circus performers like Annie Oakley...she and her ilk used shot to break glass balls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:47 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

this is all new to me , post what you find as you find it , im interested , i cant think why but thats not unusual for me to not be able to think :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:20 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Sorry to bring it back to the top,
Seller Gave me three options.
1) Refund...including all tax.
2) Exchange(trade) for anything he had for sale.
3) a new barel for $100.
Option 3 would increase it's value from about 300 to 750 USD, but would be a major pain to get done professionally.
I opted for door #2, and got some militaria for the trouble, and still have a few bucks credit. :P
He was at a loss as well, and had heard the same things you guys said.
Me thinks it was done after the fact for a Civilian reason.
It was just so nicely done! Will never have pics as it's now gone.
jon