[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Need some optics advice

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need some optics advice
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:30 pm 
Mushroom Maniac
Mushroom Maniac

I just recently got an AR-15 flat top and was thinking of either putting a holographic or a red dot on it. I like the EOtech's but not the price tag. Is there another brand out there that is maybe $200 or less but still good quality,or is there maybe a good red dot anyone could recommend?

Last edited by old king cole on Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Need some optics advice
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:37 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Ok , this is a tuff question , it boils down to buy the best you can be happy with spending the cash on ,

the eotech is my first choice but its price is enough to warrant looking for a used one on one of the WTS of an AR site ....

my secon choice [because of battry life] is an aimpoint

but my all time favorite site for an AR is the ACOG , but these are way out there for $

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:47 pm 
Mushroom Maniac
Mushroom Maniac

I did find a EOtech on eBay for $320 and I really might consider it. It just sometimes worries me a bit to buy from there when it comes to that amount of money.
Oh, and nice looking setups you have there

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:48 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

http://www.truglosights.com/IW_Products ... TEM_SUBMIT

Brian, this is the TruGlo I was telling you about
It isn't expensive & it's actually nice with the different reticles & 2 colour system. Green for day, red for night.

Hit the drop down list & check 2X 42 mm

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:15 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i can give the tru-glo a +1 , i had one of those , a magnified scope not thier red dot , it was super clear and performed great , my son-in-law has it on the DPMS LR-308 i gave him , its working fine for him , id forgatten it since i dont have it anymore :>{

they make good stuff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:31 am 
Mushroom Maniac
Mushroom Maniac

There is a gun show this weekend :D maybe I'll find something up there..
Bruce, do you want to ride up there with me Saturday morning?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:02 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

everything i have fits a picitinny rail , but there are rail attachables to fit the C&Rs that replace the sights and dont require D&T - that will allow you to use most anything

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:09 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

This guy makes a quality scope mount for some C&R that are not drill and very solid and well made. Best of all made in his shop in the USA and he backs everything up and is great to deal with, I ordered a mount for my Springfield and than changed my mind he gave me a refund no problem and offered me a discount on another mount if I wanted to go another way, " for my trouble" even though the only trouble was I made a mistake. I would buy from him again and recommend him to any one.

http://scopemounts.com/index.html?main.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:09 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

He makes mounts specific to different rifles, so it is not a cookie cutter set up, I seem to remember a Mosin and an Enfield option, he had a couple different set ups for the Springfield including a Scout set up, I almost went with. The cool thing is if you call them, you get the man that is building your mount most of the time, they get right back to you if you email them, I get the feeling it is a guy with a nice workshop in his barn. Hope this is some help to you, it is rare i recommend anyone very strongly, but this guy really impressed me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:26 pm 
Mushroom Maniac
Mushroom Maniac

Here's what I ended up coming home with from the gun show today.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:55 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

you sir are a man of discriminating taste , congrats that sight will live on to be a good one for your grandchildren , i wholeheartedly commend your choice as its my favorite ,

this is what i did my research for and decided on as well - if my eyes were better at long range it would be my first and only - alas that is not the case these days so i have diversified my thinking a lot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:05 am 
Mushroom Maniac
Mushroom Maniac

Thank you.
I'm really super happy with my purchase already and I haven't even sighted it in yet.
I've thought about them a good bit but they were just a bit high for my wallet but I know you get what you pay for and if I went with something other than what I really wanted I would regret it later.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:11 am 
Mushroom Maniac
Mushroom Maniac

Is it wrong that I've been picking it up every 20 min. and admiring it for hours now? I think I'll need new batteries by the time I actually go to sight it in :grin:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:55 am 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

......nice and reassuring to hear that I'm not the only one that does that with my stuff... :fny: :rotflma: :grin: :fny: :rotflma: :grin: :fny: :rotflma: :grin: :Dbounce: :crzy: ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:19 pm 
Mushroom Maniac
Mushroom Maniac

Took her out today and put a few on paper.
1st. 2 were way low and I gave her a bunch of clicks up and went high on the next 3 and lowered her down a few and I'm happy for now until it gets a little nicer out and I have more ammo to fine tune 'er

25 yrds.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:55 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

lookin good to me :-o :-o :-o :-o

you did really well on this one - congrats

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:52 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Not bad :) It's true what they say, you get what you pay for. Optics are no place to scrimp on.

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:15 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

pretty good for just 'slapping it on'. seemed to be pretty close to zeroed! I have a laser bore sighter we could use but I don't think it will make a difference for how it seems to be shooting.

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:56 pm 
Mushroom Maniac
Mushroom Maniac

I expected to go through alot more ammo sighting it in being that I've never dealt with these before.
I still need to get it a little bit better than that to be confident to hit what I'm shooting at

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:43 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

sounds like a good time to me :jmp: