[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - SMLE Sporters

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SMLE Sporters
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:27 am 

New guy here. I have a couple of SMLE sporters

This is my No. 4, MKI that I had professional rebuilt into a modern scout rifle. Now before an SMLE purist gets his drawers in a wad, this rifle was headed to the scrap bin. It had been chopped into a truck rifle and spent 40 years behind the seat of a ranch truck. Robert Bose in NE did the work.

I have both 5 and 10 round magazines (3 each), new from England, not the sharp-edged Pro Magazines that are now common replacements. The rifle doesn't meet the "Cooper" standard of a scout due to weight, but I'd put it against any when it comes to delivering heavy bullets down range and recharging a magazine without removing it.

My other SMLE sporter is the Gibbs Summit which is chambered in 45-70 Govt. It happens to be at Bose's, have a custom scout base mated to the barrel.

Post subject: Re: SMLE Sporters
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:33 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I'm not much for Enfields, but the 45-70 sure looks interesting! I think I've seen your user name before - possibly when I used to participate on the Marlin site many years ago.

And welcome to the madness... errr... I mean learned discussions!! :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: SW

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:38 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

:welcome:

I'm glad we got the registration part figured out (well at least someone did)

I like your Enfields, the 45-70 in particular, always kind of wanted one myself.

I've always have done the reverse, find poor orphaned sporters, and try to make the 'whole' again.

Usually if I found one chopped or drilled, I'd pass on it.

That 45-70 is still intriguing

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:04 pm 
Major
Major

I am ambivalent about it. If there were a decent supply of original barrels that might be ok. If the forward part of the barrel were damaged it would be ok. The new Criterion barrels cost more than the rifle is worth. Now that hurts.

I have my scope mounted with the receiver site type removable mount. I did not have to modify anything.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:33 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

How is the balance with the scope that far forward?

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth ...... firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. When firearms go, all goes..."
GEORGE WASHINGTON

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:12 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:14 pm 
Major
Major

I know what some people want for a N0.4 still in the wrap, but that does not necessarily mean that all No. 4s go for that.

I would never have thought that a run of the mill Mosin Nagant 91/30 would be selling for $299.

I think that both are over priced.

That being said I do the same with rifles that are not easily restorable . I just bemoan that If Midway can sell Green Mountain type 3 Mauser barrels for about $100 they could cnc enfield barrels for not too much more. A pity.

Last edited by oldernavy on Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:52 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:16 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

interesting , i like my 4570s but ive not done that to one of my enfields

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:19 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Nice!!!! I thought of getting an after market stock for my Indian no.1 mk 3 in 7.62 x51 they look much nicer than stock. The no.4 is a work of art.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:00 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Sitting here waiting for the snow to stop and reading some of these threads enjoying the evening and realizing I just put an ATI sporter stock on Izapor 7.62x51, feels like I bought a new rifle looking at! Just started experimenting with 150gn copper plated bullets for 30-30 in my Izapor with 26grn IMR 4198 then we change the clocks and I can't find enough daylight, they seem to work good in my 1895 Chilean mouser. More recoil than expected.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:04 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

fun to reminisce , im willing to see what you might get out of one of these ,

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:17 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

They are both sweet! I have a soft spot for 45-70s, shoot what ya like :m60: the rest of the world can play with their own toys

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:21 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

ya , me too , love my quigley sharps ,

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:51 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I have always wanted a Sharps rifle, but a few years ago I did buy a H R 1873 Springfield in 45/70

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:25 am 
Major
Major

Nice save on the rifle. Iv had some solid enfield sporters , they make a good deer rifle.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:27 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Really smooth action and I just like the design