[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Pics from kaintuck

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pics from kaintuck
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:24 pm 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

Thanks hogger!!
I have changed the outline even again after that last photo.....it's getting hard to make the adjusted curves....I want it to look thin and smooth, the eye needs to kinda move smoothly down the wrist, it's getting hard!!!
I am mixing a little of the Louisville Ky school in on the Lexington with the little incised design at the RR entry pipes...it would only be a squiggle if I was purest....but tomtom said do it......so I did....

I'm taking 1/16" off at a time now.....metal files and scrapers, the wood rasps are in their beds, all tucked away, resting. Soon, it will be 0000 steel wool and burnishes.....sigh.....and I always get to this point, and start thinking about ANOTHER build.....maybe another early poor boy???

Marc n tomtom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:10 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

show us more please

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:20 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

The wrist is getting thinner here... more expensive wood on the floor! SW

0000.kat5.jpg
0000.kat5.jpg [ 152.27 KiB | Viewed 7453 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:39 pm 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

SHOWING THEM STRIPES!!!!!!!!!
:jmp: :jmp: :jmp: :jmp:

marc n tomtom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:44 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

nice looking furniture on that one ,

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:42 pm 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:44 pm 

Now him & the shop foreman are working on the side plates to even everything out. SW

0000.kat2.jpg
0000.kat2.jpg [ 186.99 KiB | Viewed 7432 times ]

0000.kat3.jpg
0000.kat3.jpg [ 185.95 KiB | Viewed 7432 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:43 am 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

See the slightly different side plate changes...the man that collects these KY rifles said this eras guns had a pointed end, not like the eras 'Penn type '...so I'm taking wood off slowly to comply...And, trying to round out the form and wrist. She's getting thinner.....bout like Paris s bicep now.....
I had the barrel outta that stock, and wow I forgot how tiny the whole thing is....I have to watch farty tomtom where he is....if he jumped on it while the wood was empty....cracking time!
I did line the channel with a good layer of accuglasss, and it strengthensures it.
I plan to finish up the area then move on to the foerarm.
The back to the butt areas......scraping muchco times.....
Marc n tomtom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:14 pm 

I would never have guessed you use broken glass to smooth wood, but here's a piece of pickle jar to do that. SW

0000.kat4.jpg
0000.kat4.jpg [ 150.93 KiB | Viewed 7419 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:07 pm 

In this pic, kaintuck shows the tiny curls of expensive wood that need to be removed to have a really smooth stock. Used the piece of glass shown to achieve the finish. SW

0000.kat6.jpg
0000.kat6.jpg [ 160.38 KiB | Viewed 7414 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:41 am 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

Willie Nelson and johnny cash on the radio station, pieces of glass, lots of strokes and time....she's almost ready for me to start the big patch box.
The wife went all day to visit her sister....so I made big mess in the house with this method...cleared and cleaned up before she's back.....timing is everything!
The stripes are really nice on this wood.....
Each inlay will need to be done also along with the fancy pants pb.....scary at this point, Hart to hide any mistakes.....
Tomtom ain't no help anymore...I don't work around him at this point, his big head gets in my way....or he will try to grab the tool outta my hand while I'm working.....cats have no manners!
Marc n tomtom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:54 am 

He's getting down to small details and keeping lines straight now. SW

0000.kat2.jpg
0000.kat2.jpg [ 153.39 KiB | Viewed 7404 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:35 pm 

The shop foreman told kaintuck he might cut himself playing with broken glass & he should start on the patchbox. And away he goes with that! SW

0000.kat3.jpg
0000.kat3.jpg [ 164.6 KiB | Viewed 7402 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:40 am 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

I'm still 'whitlin' one this brass part.....I have to bevel all the edges, then anneal her, then bend to the stock. I will go over the stock one more time(maybe 2 or 3!) to make sure it's smooth. then shape the brass to contours of the curves......

kinda curvy areas are very tricky, I need it to fit better than short shorts on a certain dancer singer a certain choochoo engineer likes.........otherwise, it'll look ugly....

marc n tomtom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:36 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

another work of art with so much soul poured into the creation , that will be one beautiful rifle one day soon , what a fantastic project , don't let that oversize head get in the way on this one

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:24 pm 

More work on the patchbox here. SW

0000.kat4.jpg
0000.kat4.jpg [ 143.1 KiB | Viewed 7359 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:17 pm 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

Thank you hogger!
It's really hard for me to pictures from the smarty phone to the forum.....so it really helps when hogged posts for me an tomtom.....
I spent the afternoon inletting, almost there, but my hands give out, and I loose fine motor skill in the end.....so it's quitting time at 6:00....tv time...

This 'pierced box' needs final bedding, then proper screws, the filed flush with the wood. THEN, take it back out, cut the door out....this door will have the hidden hinge. Also the release mechanism, and button will be thru the toe plate like originals....

Still to done: wedge keys, and the little fancy estasions around each, cheek piece inletted, thumb piece inletted, nose rivetted in, uummmm....what else am I forgetting?
Tomtom will let me know.....he's wise beyond his years.....he knows stuff :thnk:

Nite all...
Marc n tomtom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:18 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

fantastic work , i love these threads , so much artistry invested ,

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:19 pm 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:41 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

enjoy every day , we enjoy your work , and i particularly understand the work it takes - the flaws are not evident to anyone but the craftsman , your efforts will be enjoyed for generations to come i assure you , you can stand proud with any that does this work my friend ,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next