[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Pics from kaintuck

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pics from kaintuck
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:41 pm 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

It just looks longer cause of the angle, I used the tape to draw my outline. It was about 1/16" taller than the barrel.....wahoo!!!that was ALOT of filing!!!!!!....I kept bending it, and was scared it was gonna break, but I FINALLY got it bent and laid in the stock....
It's being bedded and I will do it in steps, to get it snug, so the loading and recoil is carried by the breach and none on the wrist screw.....this piece of wood is so brittle, kinda like glass. But shore is tiger stripped purty :Dbounce:

It's getting closer to being at the staining stage......and browning..... :crzy:
Nite all....Marc n Tomtom 10-7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:00 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

it is a fine looking specimen of lumber to be sure

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:31 am 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:03 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Getting down to the final stages now. He's selecting stain color here. SW

0000.kat3.jpg
0000.kat3.jpg [ 124.22 KiB | Viewed 8714 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:25 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i know you know ..i like a mid - mellow - red-yellow without the dark that speaks of age , that's because i know they achieve that as they age , mine has mellowed to a great looking original [in my mind] look , it will be perfect by the time my grandkids get it , but then each wood deserves its own color --- it is what makes them special ,

i know you will get this right - you got mine perfect - and im not sure i communicate well when it comes to color - that is my wifes department with my color blindness issues ,

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:10 am 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

Thanks fellas.....this is gonna be a challenge....I aim to get them stripes out....pop if I may say, so when you see them, they show well.....but in un handeled areas, a darker stain.....I want this to be like it was found behind some boxes in the attic....lost for 200yrs... :Dbounce:

Marc n tomtom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:46 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

careful choice of color and a lot of attention to detail , you will get it right - you got mine right ,

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:39 am 

He assures me the new & improved tang is a done deal now. Just have to drill a couple holes carefully.... *snap* :-o

But no, kaintuck is a pro! It will turn out just fine! 8-) SW

0000.kat3.jpg
0000.kat3.jpg [ 184.58 KiB | Viewed 8682 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:08 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Pro heck he is a artist, a true master of the old front stuffers.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:49 pm 

In these pics we see how he removed all the metal to stain the wood. Looks pretty darn good, too! Next will be brown steel pieces and add a little engraving here & there. SW

0000.kat1a.jpg
0000.kat1a.jpg [ 167.42 KiB | Viewed 8663 times ]

0000.kat1b.jpg
0000.kat1b.jpg [ 179.14 KiB | Viewed 8663 times ]

0000.kat1c.jpg
0000.kat1c.jpg [ 165.66 KiB | Viewed 8663 times ]

0000.kat1d.jpg
0000.kat1d.jpg [ 390.96 KiB | Viewed 8663 times ]

0000.kat1e.jpg
0000.kat1e.jpg [ 180.3 KiB | Viewed 8663 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:10 pm 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

:Dbounce:
Tiger stripes....... :jmp:

Yes!!!!......9 months of wondering what it would look like......and I couldn't hurry.... :kap:

Stripes!!!!!! :jmp: :jmp: :jmp:

Me happy...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:11 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

That looks excellent! You did a great job once again. The wood is really great.
Keep at it!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:10 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

so nice , got it just right ,

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:14 am 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

Thanks guys.....the brass needs toning down some...looks kinda bling right now. I will send it out to the engraver, and when it comes back....we will age it darker, I would like the wood to be what you see 1st.... :bigrin:
Marc n tomtom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:41 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

mine has taken to a nice feint patina , just enough to add character and as you put it 'tone down' the bling affect , that one will have a great "character" as it ages

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:41 pm 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

I got word that there's a fellow interested in it.....so the time line has been push up to finish her.....I sent all the parts of to a new engraver, we had talked, and I have seen his work....I hope to have them back in a couple of weeks.....
But if this fellow is just talking, and don't buy her....I'm just as happy to keep her.....this is a rice 50cal, I have my older GM 50cal.....so I will enjoy working up a load.....
If she sells, I may, order a burton barrel, and build just one more..... :crzy:

Tomtom needs the company shop time...... :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:10 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

its the little things that makes em special

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:52 pm 

In what might be the last step, the engraved parts are back and on the rifle. Looking pretty darn good!!! And then some! SW

0000.kat1a.jpg
0000.kat1a.jpg [ 213.02 KiB | Viewed 8544 times ]

0000.kat1b.jpg
0000.kat1b.jpg [ 233.63 KiB | Viewed 8544 times ]

0000.kat1c.jpg
0000.kat1c.jpg [ 240.99 KiB | Viewed 8544 times ]

0000.kat1d.jpg
0000.kat1d.jpg [ 206.68 KiB | Viewed 8544 times ]

0000.kat1e.jpg
0000.kat1e.jpg [ 242.04 KiB | Viewed 8544 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:09 pm 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

shes done........... :Dbounce:
44" B weight 50cal swamp barrel, Chambers lock, davis triggers, high grade blank from Dunlops wood.
I am slowing down, and I'm guessing this will be my last rifle build.....other things in the wings tho :P :bigrin:
I DO have some horns started......tomtom likes me in his shop, and I enjoy the time also.........soooo.................

marc n tomtom

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:59 pm 

Here's a couple final shots of the project, and it's a darn fine rifle!! Wish I had an extra $2750 laying around! SW

0000.kat3.jpg
0000.kat3.jpg [ 243.49 KiB | Viewed 8468 times ]

0000.kat4.jpg
0000.kat4.jpg [ 267.83 KiB | Viewed 8468 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next