[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Pics from kaintuck

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pics from kaintuck
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:07 am 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

This is getting there... :bigrin:
the little cheek piece is what I'm working on now....I have to inlet it, and it will be held in with a small crew~ tiny amount of engraving......then placed.....then a thumb piece~ that'll be all the inset pieces..........
then it's all about getting smooth wood, flush wood-to-metal. a few incised lines.....I almost forgot those!!! :crzy:
then brown all the metal....age it....then stains....and sealers.........

I may even go shoot this one......... :-?

and.....I have a request for making those big wooden bread dough bowls........so, yeah, I have projects on the back burner..........just to keep me safe!
marc n tomtom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:22 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

The last estucheon is held in place by tiny screws... installed with a tiny screwdriver! ;) Now to contour them to the stock. I see a design in the wood... for inlaying silver wire? Now that would be cool! SW

20161020_184740_resized.jpg
20161020_184740_resized.jpg [ 852.3 KiB | Viewed 8951 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:07 pm 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

Heh there....I was just mixing Louisville with Lexington firearm designs....a no no maybe...but the Lexington has just two half circles at the end of the line....I kinda like a little design......
Silver wire is way over my pay grade.... :kap:
I am gonna try my hand at the simple out lines that are supposed to be on the metal.....I have two engravers, I'll practice on extra pieces....but, I'm getting braver n braver....... :jmp:

I do have to lower the cheek area 1/2".....Shelby said the bottom flat is to wide...makes it look more Lancaster than Lexington.....so this weekend.....out comes that custom rasp someone gifted me :rotflma: :jmp:

I'm headed to sand land......dream of Paris and Britney battling it out in banana pudding with whipped topping...... :-x :P :ow: :kap: :grin:

Ahahahaaaaa....Marc n tomtom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:39 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

im not clear on the differences between the lexington, lancaster - lousisville designs , you need to illuminate me a bit ,

but i know the difference between the paris/britney profiles even when lathered in mazolla oil ---not sure this makes for pleasant dreams , too much turmoil i think

enjoying the details of this build

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:02 am 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

Lexington rifles didn't have much incising on them, just a few lines along the forstock, and under the cheek piece, and couple along the bottom of the stock, yours has that....but the metal just had very simple dots along a few edges.
The Louisville had same but with a little flourish, the pb had scroll works, and was with a lot of piercings......then the golden age lancasters had bling, compared to lexingtons...or the 'barrens' rifles.....now those poor boy barrens, were strictly working riffles!
Shelby Galien has produced two volume books on these obscure rifles....not cheap books, 'coffee table' books....wonderful!! :kap:
I think googling will bring up pictures of them.....

I like my signature forearm incising, and the hidden hinge pb.....but I do like a horse head pb and more engraving......the the pb is one element that couldn't be changed.....it simply HAS to be this pb design to make a Lexington :P
Marc n tomtom

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:30 pm 

Work on the cheek piece today. He tells me he was using a wabbit plane. Plain wabbit? I dunno, but it's sure working!

Plenty o' room there to inlet silver or brass wire! ;) :P SW

20161022_141609_resized.jpg
20161022_141609_resized.jpg [ 837.78 KiB | Viewed 8930 times ]

20161022_141630_resized.jpg
20161022_141630_resized.jpg [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 8930 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:35 pm 

Now we have a decoration inletted into the cheekpiece. I like it!! SW

20161022_163045_resized.jpg
20161022_163045_resized.jpg [ 1.07 MiB | Viewed 8926 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:09 pm 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

That there is the 'all seeing eye' :lol insert.....I made the flat smaller, this morning....so the cheek weld area was done....so I inletted the little German silver, fixed with a screw, as was the original. I figured I had enough lozenge shapes on it, better liven it up some....
I told hogger it should have a oval thumb piece....but I don't think I'll try that.... :crzy: oval, bent to shape the wrist, and blind nailed.... :kap:
So now.....lines along the bottom of the stock each side.....still cleaning around the lock plates.....the screw heads need re-beveling.....then, I guess, browning the metal.......stain the wood......I'm sure I'm missing something..... :thnk:

Marc n tomtom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:13 pm 

He tells me the patchbox is good to go now. Room for lots o' misc stuff in there! You might not even need a man purse with this one! ;) :bigrin: SW

0000.kat3.jpg
0000.kat3.jpg [ 150.68 KiB | Viewed 8916 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:48 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

looks really nice , i like that one

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:35 pm 

Decisions, decisions. Now it might be time to make the tang longer. Looked oaky to me, but what do I know? SW

0000.kat5.jpg
0000.kat5.jpg [ 148.72 KiB | Viewed 8886 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:24 pm 

Our resident gunsmith has opted to order a longer tang... Mucho work to get that in the stock right. In the meantime, screws have been flattened, giving a smoother look to the stock. SW

0000.kat6.jpg
0000.kat6.jpg [ 141.29 KiB | Viewed 8874 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:14 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

looking really nice me thinks , the longer tang will add a bit of work but be worth it in the end ,

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:04 pm 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:44 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

while im all for "..a southern mountain taste to the tang....with two screws. So, track of the wolf gets another few bucks from me, .." i respect all the work this will take , the refit would be fine but dont you have to re-contour to the wrist ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:06 pm 

In this pic we see the patchbox is o-fficially done! Getting close on the rifle then? Ummm... not really. New tang to install - staining - browning - it's a long list. SW

0000.kat5.jpg
0000.kat5.jpg [ 128.78 KiB | Viewed 8841 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:54 am 

He tells me this is the new & improved tang. I couldn't tell & had to ask him. SW

0000.kat5.jpg
0000.kat5.jpg [ 142.43 KiB | Viewed 8802 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:41 pm 

The new tang is shown here after being fitted to the barrel. A little filing remains to be done on the end. SW

0000.kat1a.jpg
0000.kat1a.jpg [ 177.3 KiB | Viewed 8788 times ]

0000.kat1b.jpg
0000.kat1b.jpg [ 186.54 KiB | Viewed 8788 times ]

0000.kat1c.jpg
0000.kat1c.jpg [ 203.38 KiB | Viewed 8785 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:32 pm 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

:Dbounce:
I B happy. .....everyone I do one of these, I chance taking TO much off, then it won't seat against the inside breach face. Then the face has to match the barrel top also.....so I'm filing all these places, then black mark it up....assemble, disassemble and see what needs to be hit with a file....then repeata repeata...
I now drilled 2 of the 3 holes...I need the end you see marked....cut n shape pretty....then drill the 3rd hole, then bend and inlet......but that's fer another day......I been twice to the office today....so, it's sofa time.....I sent hogger one more in process picture.....showing more filing....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:11 pm 

I'm confused... this one is clearly longer than the one above... but it's going on the rifle, and all is well. It really does look better. SW

0000.kat2a.jpg
0000.kat2a.jpg [ 160.69 KiB | Viewed 8776 times ]

0000.kat2b.jpg
0000.kat2b.jpg [ 135.07 KiB | Viewed 8776 times ]

0000.kat2c.jpg
0000.kat2c.jpg [ 144.33 KiB | Viewed 8776 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next