Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:10 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Hallo alle,
I have been looking into making a modern production of the Steyr-Hahn M1912 built to take 9x19mm ammunition and a modern production of the Steyr-Mannlicher M95 in .308 ammunition. My reasoning is that these are very interesting (and fairly popular for what they are) firearms, and I would like to get access to that market. The thing is, the starting price of these firearms ($700 - $1,000) is usually fairly high for what they are, and their obscurely-expensive ammunition (9x23 Steyr, ~$4.59 a round -- 8x56 RS, ~$1.53 a round) are often factors that make people choose to not purchase such firearms. Lack of spare parts is another concern.

By making new productions of these weapons (with entirely different markings, so people don't get them mixed up with originals), I could tap into this market and potentially make two of my favorite systems more common or at least known amongst the contemporary firearm community. The aim is to make mostly-faithful reproductions for a low cost and make spare parts for the older firearms as two methods of income. Let's ignore the factory start-up costs-

So, I wanted to ask, what is everyone here's interest? If you had the opprotunity to purchase a brand new Steyr-Hahn or M95 chambered in more modern ammunition, would you take it? How much would you be willing to pay for it? Just gathering info for consideration later.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:20 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

The going money for M.95s seems to be around $300 - maybe 500 tops for one with scarcer markings like BRNO. I question if production cost would be much less than that. I'm not sure who besides Ruger are doing investment casting which would be the way to go.

Tooling up for converting existing M.95s to a more available - and easier on the shoulder - round like 30-30 might be more feasible. SW

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:40 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Here's the thing though, I was thinking new because I wanted to leave as many existing ones in as good of a condition as possible. To reduce overall cost and weight, I was thinking a one-piece polymer stock as a more budget option would be viable. You're right- .308 is rather chonky. Just looking for something similar enough to the 8x56 Spitzer round that a modern shooter could find easily, will look into 30-30 some more.

Making the M95 is significantly more likely than the Steyr-Hahn because it's an overall easier mechanism to produce and simpler to design. Though I'm still bent on at least making a 3D-printed replica of the Steyr-Hahn just for the satisfaction of "I did a thing" ^-^.

I'll ask around some other places to see what their interest is. Thinking now, ~$400 for a new, Polymer stock M95 sounds about right, though it could be cheaper. I'm thinking of keeping most of the things the same for the budget version with some simplifications- if any.

Realistically this is all still just dream-land because I'm still in highschool, but with some time I can make something functioning before having to find a way to make one using actual materials. There's a few places in town that I'm certain would be willing to let me use a welding machine and some power tools, given that they get some form of compensation ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:25 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

start up cost aside, well , you can't set them aside, you have to have an idea and a projected build number to see how that shakes out on a per gun basis , add in the minor stuff like boxes, locks, manuals etc,
and the licensing,

once that it set, and you have an idea of actual production costs, you may be able to sell it as cheap as you suggest, but likely manufacture will be over seas, (china , or Turkey) to keep the costs down, ( we import loads or firearms from both)

factor in how many will actually buy the rifles, esp if you are marketing towards hunters,

when you can buy a Savage Axis, Axis II or a similar low budget hunting rifle from a few makers, likely cheaper,

not raining on your parade , just throwing in some variables you need to know to keep the cost in line,

you may have better luck marketing the Pistol, if you can get the Turks to build it as cheap as they do the other clones, or even the Italians , (Brixia makes a very nice 1911 that Charles Daly sells quite cheap)

reenactors would likely be a good niche to reach out to as well,

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:09 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Not to rain on your parade,

But as others have said, you really don't know the initial outlay to do this. Drawings will have to be made with +/- tolerances, you'll have to identify and source the correct steels, have CNC programing coded to produce the parts, manufacture the specialized cutters (x10 as they wear out), pay for the machine time, design and buy the investment casting molds (most economical way), pay the foundry to cast them, heat treat, blue the finished product, etc. Source the walnut, beech, etc wood and have the stock blanks reproduced, finish sanded and finished, etc. etc. etc.

Not an very in demand firearm to have reproduced when better options are out there. I.E, you're looking at a very specific customer base. Those who want either won't want a reproduction and will want an original and will pay up for the oddball ammo or load their own.