[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - "Mother of all blizzards!"

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Mother of all blizzards!"
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:52 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Well, according to a local news guy with Jr college journalism creds anyway. It was supposed to start last night & pile up 18" right away. Not to be. Rained off & on & it's finally snowing now. We still might get a foot or so, but it's not the end of the world like the news was letting on.

People went overboard stocking up. My prep was to make a big pot o' smoked ham hocks, pinto beans & garlic sausage. Went over to Co-op for the garlic sausage & people were loading UP! Only about 10% left on the bread shelves - pooper paper was pretty much gone. So I grabbed the sausage & some cheese and home we went.

Got there & next door neighbor on oxygen ( the reward for heavy smoking in his younger days) waved me over & gave me his toro snow blower! I always scoop his walk & driveway & last time, while he was watching me the light blub came on & he recalled he had a snow blower he can't use. So he had somebody get it up & running & showed me all the features - like 4 speed tranny & elect start. I thought that was darn thoughtful! I mean I was still going to scoop his walk anyway. I'll use it for geezer lady across the street, too!

Global warming... whatever happened to that, anyway? SW

Post subject: Re: "Mother of all blizzards!"
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:39 pm 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

Blizzard Warning

Western Nebraska

5 hours ago – National Weather Service

A MAJOR WINTER STORM WILL BRING HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS TO SOUTHEASTERN ... Total snow accumulations of 10 to 22 inches with the higher amounts along the Pine Ridge ...AND HOGGERS HOUSE!!!!!!!!

Attachments:
h5782EFE7.jpg
h5782EFE7.jpg [ 23.56 KiB | Viewed 7345 times ]
h93E17C41.jpg
h93E17C41.jpg [ 35.68 KiB | Viewed 7345 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:18 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

All the while in central hell, Ohio, it was in the upper 60s with rain and some wind on the way. Should be fun tomorrow as I will be on the PA turnpike for 2.5 hours. I'd rather deal with the snow myself.

"We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat; they do not exist"
Victoria 1899

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:05 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

in watching the reports the I90 was closed from sioux falls to wyoming boarder and colorado is getting dumped on and blown away ,

rained and melted here all day +37 , supposed to rain here all night and through tomorrow , talking 4-6 inches of water on all this melting snow , the three foot on my upper deck melted 8" or more since this morning , i cannot see the river in the dark but it has to be rising quickly , say it will stay warm [eben sunshine on friday] till first of the week when it again turns cold - we shall see

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:22 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

It was so nice today (low 50s) I mowed the lawn for the first time this year!

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth ...... firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. When firearms go, all goes..."
GEORGE WASHINGTON

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:52 pm 

We actually did get the blizzard. All roads in western Nebr are closed - all schools and businesses likewise. The sun's out now, but the wind is still getting after it which means trying to plow drifts is pretty much pointless. If I scooped the walk, it would instantly drift over again. The state & county are saying the same thing - they're not going to try busting drifts until the wind goes down.

Which is a great excuse to goof off until this afternoon.

Younger daughter lives in the country by a small feedlot. Farmer guy said he'd plow her a path with his bulldozer when the wind stops. But she has plenty of firewood & food so she's doing fine.

The nice thing about blizzards this time of year is that it'll warm up & all the snow will be gone in a few days. SW

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:30 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i hear ya on all that , i did see where you got the brunt of it this side of the rockies , not talked to family south but i suspect they are or will be getting it , hope all of you out there get through this without issue , the news last night concentrated on all of those folks on the road that are having bad days ,

i got rain and above freezing temps for the last three days , last two had heavy fog as well , ive lost a foot to foot and a half of snow and my drive is draining after being a lake last night , it is supposed to freeze overnight so tomorrows commute will be less wipers and more care when braking , expected to be warm all weekend and maybe some sun - wonder what that looks like ?

gun show saturday - the big colosseum one at the fair grounds - good group turning out so far from my crowd , looking forward to it , and working sunday with a jackpot shoot at the trap range and rifle/pistol range open again , should be a good day i think ,

who knows what next week will bring but the almanac says we have a snowy/wet spring coming , i am looking to the next couple with trepidation as the high school leagues start , hope they get a decent spring start - they deserve it after last year ,

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:34 am 

Yesterday roads were still closed. This is Hwy 71 going south.
closed 002 (1024x358).jpg
closed 002 (1024x358).jpg [ 248.4 KiB | Viewed 7314 times ]

Snow was so deep in farms, turks were playing on the hiway. Road was closed so no traffic.
closed 004 (1024x500).jpg
closed 004 (1024x500).jpg [ 296.59 KiB | Viewed 7314 times ]

Hiways are all high & dry this morning. County roads are still drifted over, but it won't last long. So it's pretty much all over but the melting which won't be good for people east of here. Sounds like there's flooding already & when all this snow melts, water will be a lot deeper.

I finally got geezer lady across the street plowed out yesterday. Easily a 5' drift in her driveway. But she can't drive anymore so I just opened up her sidewalks & a place she can get to the street if somebody comes to pick her up.

We'll have more snow, but I doubt we'll see another storm like this. SW

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:09 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Glad you didn't get walloped to hard. Be sure and put that snowblower to good use, mine sure beats the shovel method.
Here in Illannoy our snow is just about gone, only some small banks left, and a few little piles.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:23 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Just caught something on the news about flooding in Nebr....

Massive ice jam somewhere west of I-75. Sure hope Haystack's well to the east :-o

We are going to have an interesting melt off. 33" of ice on the Red R. at Netley creek....
And Grand Forks N.D. got walloped with 8"of snow Fri.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:42 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

From what I can see of the Nebr map, Hogger seems to be on the outer fringes...

Be safe Bud...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:52 am 

We're okay with flooding, but when the snow here melts, it's going to be a huge problem down east. Snow-wise, things are rapidly getting back to normal. SW

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:11 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Here's to spring showing up on time this year and getting the snow and snow melt taken care in a timely manner for a change. Had to let a few of the East Coast people know that the upper midwest got hammered last week. They were complaining that it was cold! My trip on the PA turnpike nearly went in legendary catastrophic when creature, driving a car in the left at 75+ suddenly decided that the cell phone in the car was more important than driving the car. It suddenly reduced speed from what everybody else was doing and settled on about 40 mph. I owe KARMA something in the way of a major contribution as I was able to not punt it into another dimension. That's what I get for having an uneventful trip up to that point. Then again, if I had been driving my 16 year old Tahoe, not my friends new one, the outcome may have been bad. I did get to make some little kids day by waving back at them as they sat in the back seat whilst mom and dad drove. I need range time!

Victoria 1899

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:44 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

now hearing of all the nebraska flooding - hope you are high and dry , i think there will be lots along the missouri and mississippi this year , please all be safe - i just sent a lot of water south this past weekend and my sump pump is running regularly now , its all going south on the mississippi about eight blocks from my river front now , im still bank full - about 4 feet high but out of my lower lawn at this point and no ice jamb this year ,

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:56 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

It appears that the farmers in this part of the world are going to get hammered. The Ag sec was on early and reported that over 1 million calves had already been lost. He wasn't certain if the emergency funds for these losses would be enough. He said that he would go to Congress for more money if required. Let's hope those morons do the right thing and help hard working people out.

Victoria 1899

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:02 pm 

Things were great for a few days - temps in the 70s. Two days ago it was 75! Yesterday was a blizzard. So I scooped snow this morning & when I got the driveway shoveled out me & the dog (can't leave her home!) took over the monthly insurance payment & then drove out to see how the roads were.

Closed. Almost no traffic so we didn't drive all the way out to the barricades. On the way back you could see county roads drifted over.

Global warming is nothing but a joke, and you'll never convince otherwise! SW

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:54 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

we made it into 60s last week a day or two but like you the blizzard , with high winds , started again last night - all day today - into tomorrow for certain , we were told to expect up to 18" but i shoveled 1.5 off the deck this morning and another 2 tonight but it was fine and compacted by the sleet mixed in , so heavy , predicting rain through the weekend as it warms so i am not shoveling anymore ,

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:26 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Just a few flakes starting to drop here, now.
We are getting clipped by the edge of the low that smacked you. Supposed to be a 1/2" on the ground by morning...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:41 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

still snowing here but melting too , gotta get rid of all that fell the last two days but it is melting like the wicked witch of the west right now , i hate this slop , snow plow went by in the wee hours - the drift at my drive was not an issue - about 18" and i just drove through it , nice to drive a 4w drive truck , but my neighbors got 2 1/2' and their little cars were trapped till they moved it , i felt bad for them ,