[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Still At It.

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Still At It.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:21 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Rocky caught today. Water temp is very warm, and the Walleye bite is sporadic. Did get one Walleye big enough for the fry pan :bigrin:

I release those rocky's~ there ain't a lot to them. The one pictured is about in the 12 oz. claas which is about as big as they get around here...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

Post subject: Re: Still At It.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:03 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Didn't eat it, but it's still fun to catch them. Good work! :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:52 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

catch and release those just for fun - too bony to eat , but at least you had some action , they get considerably bigger here - still do not eat the red eyes ,

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:41 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Here's the Walleye mentioned above~ about 4-5 lb class, on my walleye board.
The Finn Martini filleter pictured is about 23 years old, and still takes a quick edge. The ash/birch handle on it is severely dried out. When it let's go, it will be time for a new one. Nor-mark used to carry a non-slip grip synthetic handle version of this classic. If I can find a new one, it will be the replacement.

Old shooters don't fade away or disappear. :bigrin: Still very much at it at this late stage of the game. I intend to keep on doing all these hunting, fishing, and shooting things as long as I am able....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:46 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

try soaking the handle in boiled linseed oil with a little turpentine mixed in. Hang by the blade and just soak the handle.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:03 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i agree - save that one , your next knife is never quite as good as the one you loved and lost[gave up]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:40 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

A decent handful of pike from Hazel Creek.

Water is very low, less than a foot. Surprised to be catching fish that size in so little water....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:08 pm 

Nice fish!! :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:09 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Nother Jack. This one's a bit over 8 lbs.

There are 8 fillets there :bigrin: Big supper tomorrow night. I is off work for 2 weeks!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:41 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

save those walley cheeks - when you get a bag full is makes great horse-doovers :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:56 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

A lucky limit of eyes on last day of holidays. Put in enough time at this, and results show up... :bigrin:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:00 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

nice fish , ive not gotten out but a couple times this year ---next year ---as ive said so many times before , good to know you are holding up my end of the harvest for the year ,

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:12 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

29-1/2"

I usually release these when they are this big. This was another egg bearing female.
Egg sac about 3/4 depleted. She took the white walleye grub and 1/8 oz leadhead all the way down past the gullet, and bled heavily on landing....

Enough for 3 fish heavy meals! (even though I prefer the taste of the smaller ones)

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:11 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

better to eat than throw back that one - there are so many released on the catch.release millacs lake system that are simply dieing these days , what a waste of great fish meals ,

i have lots of thoughts on that lake management that i should just keep to myself , but lets say there is way too much waste involved on way too many levels that no-one is taking into consideration because of past government actions , it is a fantastic offering to all involved and no agreements can get to an amiable-economically advancing solution , too many stubborn heads involved to reap the rewards and preserve the fishery in the same motion,

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:04 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

10 lbs of snot rocket (jackfish) caught at the mouth of Sturgeon Creek. I was using pretty light tackle~ was actually fishing for eater walleyes. One piece Fenwick HDX light walleye rod and a tiny Pflueger President spinning reel. That is a very sensitive rod. I can feel walleye dragging their teeth over the lead-head and grub before the strike....
That was another egg-bearing female.
There are tons of pike fry in the creek water. I ain't hurting anything by taking this one. Excellent table fare, especially breaded up and fried :D

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:38 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Nice big channel cat that I hooked through the dorsal fin. Walleye grub shown on the fin is 4" long, just to give an idea of the size of this fish.
It took a bit of doing to get this landed- light rod and reel and line again. Maybe if I bait up for cats, I'll start catching Walleye again :roll:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:16 pm 

Getting ready for ice fishing now? SW

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:04 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:22 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

ive caught a channel by accident on a jig or a crank bait but they always tried to eat it , never snagged one of those - nice job , i can only imagine that fight , he had a bit of advantage on you , good eating ,

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:19 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Sauger caught today at the slough west of Selkirk Park on the Red River.
Took me long enough~ ten days of holidays, and still no walleye or grouse. The barometer simply refuses to cooperate :P

Regards,

Doc Sharptail