[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Canon

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Canon
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:34 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

One step backward to go four forward :D

Was actually in the camera shop today to get some rechargeables to resuscitate my little Canon I/S 120 point n' shoot digital. This was in the used case at 69 bucks. I couldn't resist. Being a born Nikon guy, of course everything's bass-ackward on it ;)
I made the mistake (out of habit) of asking for a roll of Tri- X to go with it. They could not figure out what I was asking for. Have I really been out of the loop that long? Ended up with a 24 exp roll of cheap C-41 ASA 400 film...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

Post subject: Re: Canon
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:22 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Chemical photography??? Way cool, but now you need to really concentrate on composition. Can't just blast away and compose in your photo editor with regular film.

Need any darkroom stuff? I've got a bunch I'll never use again. SW

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:16 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:42 am 

Saw a Mamiya C33 TLR not long ago for $75 in a pawn shop. I'm pretty sure $50 would get it out the door and they would still make a profit. I even have some 220 film in the freezer, but passed. I've been giving older film cameras to a friend in Kiev, Ukraine where chemical photography is still common. SW

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:21 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

yup - you been out of the loop that long , i miss my old 70s nikon EX , it was a great camera - not been in a darkroom in may decades now but i have fond memories of that , everything is digital now and it can be fun but ifyou are a computer cripple like me its often frustrating ,

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:07 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I finally got one of these! Back in my Nikon hey-days, these were priced well into the un-attainable range. Reasonably fast, with a decent optical range. I did have a pre-series-1 version of this lens that was a bit slower. It was actually a bit more usable at the 28 mm wide range. Still, amazing optics. Picked up for a song in Canon F/D mount!

Might be in for a bit of sticker shock when it's time to pre-pay c-41 processing. Silver halides have really jumped, as far as I understand...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:28 am 

Yeah, there used to be 1 hour photo places all over, but now even wally sends film off to be processed. SW

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:54 am 
Major
Major

I have a Vivitar series one 90 mm macro lense and a Vivitar 90 mm that will focus down to 1:1. I hopefully one day will be able to put them on a digital Canon. They are tack sharp and it would be a shame to wast them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:34 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i suspect we are not far from the darkroom chemistry being labeled carcinogenic in California and thus outlawed , so many things that were common in my youth are now banned on the east and west coast - glad i live here on the north coast ...but i really believe this BS will spread

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:06 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Still exists, I think! They've dropped the "pan" from the name. Wonder if this is still the same old Tri-X....

In photographic terms, "Professional" equals "Tacticool" in gun terminology :bigrin:

We shall soon see. Snowing a bit here again. The original Tri-X loved snow and half light. We shall see in the morning....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:03 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

if i recall correctly tri-X is quite fast , i had faster back in the day 800/1200 but i used a lot slower mostly for my architectural photography - everything was stationary , i needed the detail , good to know you can still find it

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:03 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Figured I'd try this in this:

...after I finish this :

Will use these as well:

Gave the AE-1 and it's F/D mount lenses to my sister who fell for it quite heavily.

I am better than a happy pig in a poke for what I paid for the tiny little Nikon :bigrin:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:13 pm 

I have about 1/3 of a roll of Tri-X Pan still in the can (and still in the freezer) I'd donate to your photography fun, but after customs x-rayed it, the images would be a trifle foggy. I might even have some empty film rolls left over from when I rolled my own film. SW

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:34 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

There seems to be a shortage of tri-X around here. Guy at the photo shop says it's by far the most popular film sold (it even outsells c-41 color), and very hard to keep in stock.

10 day turn around on c-41 processing. 28 something for process 24 exposure and first set 3x5's...
Photo shop B & W processing is priced exactly the same. Be lookin at better than 40 smackers for a 36 exposure process and first prints :P
I may have to get back into the darkroom. It appears Rodinal has gone the way of Kodachrome~ non-existent.
Microphen, I guess, and all it's temperature sensitivity....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:42 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i used a lot of ilford film back in the day , im just glad there are still some shooting traditional , i am caught between - the transition to digital caught me up a while back , im just not real handy at it all yet ,

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:56 pm 

Looked in the freezer earlier to see I have a few rolls of Panatomic-X. Which would also suffer from being x-rayed by customs. It was the real deal for flowers and portraits. SW

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:35 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Pan X was beautiful film. I used a roll or 30 back in my theatrical/modelling shoot daze...
Took a very big Metz mecablitz to light 'em up on the stage/runway....

I actually had one of my few changing bag accidents while developing pan-X. Some how a 36 exp roll of Kodachrome 64 got mixed in with the pan-X and went into the B & W soup with it.
I actually got almost usable B & W images off that roll of chrome. Buddy who was more knowledgable than me said if we could separate the chrome layers, pix woulda been fine. Once through the fixer eliminated that idea...

Tried a few times with umbrella flashes and slave units set up, but the early printed circuit electronics were horribly unreliable.
I understand flash lighting can be controlled via wi-fi now, if you got the $ for the hardware...
I think the best pictures I ever made were on old 120 Agfa F at a speed rating of 25, and developed in Rodinal. The prints highlighted tonal range the same way the Casblanca movie did...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:47 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

pan was what i shot mostly except when i was working with the old fella that taught me most of what i know of perspective correction , he had a plate camera we spent a lot of time in the darkroom fixing things i did not realize you could fix on film , right down to 1/4" architectural scale

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:09 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Just picked up the first print set shot with the AE-1 Canon.

Man, that 50mm f 1.8 F/D canon lens is no slouch. Not quite the sharpness of it's Nikkor cousin, but it makes images that have zero curvilinear distortion~ not a claim everyone can aspire to....
Colour correction is excellent with this lil speedster.

Will try some copy work of the prints this coming week-end to get them up on this page.
My sister lucked out!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:24 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

im a nikon guy too - i would always think of a cannon as a good buy but never get used to rethinking , too many years of thinking nikon