[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Misc. cameras, gear or photographers thread

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:52 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Looks like the last one is a D-810.
Bears like Nikon :P
Haven't a clue on the lens- A/F is uncharted territory for me.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:47 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Tripod & cable release - must not be doing school pics.
camera1.jpg
camera1.jpg [ 146.64 KiB | Viewed 5481 times ]

Learning the basics
camera2.jpg
camera2.jpg [ 247.02 KiB | Viewed 5481 times ]

Rollei TLR
camera3.jpg
camera3.jpg [ 305.27 KiB | Viewed 5481 times ]

Cutaway lens from a Leica ad.
camera4.jpg
camera4.jpg [ 63.58 KiB | Viewed 5481 times ]

Ring tailed lemurs like Nikon, too.
camera5.jpg
camera5.jpg [ 158.07 KiB | Viewed 5481 times ]

Camera array for recording the atomic bomb test at Bikini Atoll
camera6.jpg
camera6.jpg [ 159.97 KiB | Viewed 5481 times ]

Side note - the nuclear fallout radiation half life on Bikini has pretty well timed down, but environmental half-life in ocean sediment is still quietly emitting radiation making seafood there unsafe to eat. Meaning it's still uninhabited.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:51 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Like that last frame, Steve.

Odd the graphic series is so under-represented here. Possible they were cropped out maybe?
I count one near image bottom left.
I recall someone trying to tell me they were limited to 250-280mm focal length lenses, but I took that one with a pinch of salt.
2 or 3 bellows folders in the foreground as well.
Of course, the big Kodak aerial cameras and their humongous film backs pre-dominate, as do the MPC's. The MPC's may out number everything else pictured.
Kind of curious about what's been released recently.
History channel is making a bit of noise about the FIFA act in the last few months.
Should be interesting in what ends up being released of the actual test images- never mind UFO shots :P

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:36 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

tzo_camera.jpg
tzo_camera.jpg [ 137.48 KiB | Viewed 5407 times ]

Mid 60's Nikon F that caught a couple in Vietnam.
Probably 7.62 x 39s out of an AK or SKS.
The Japanese war correspondent survived.

The old F and F-2's were built like tanks, but definitely not bulletproof...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:37 pm 

I carried a plastic 126 P&S on my web belt first tour. Somewhere around here I've an image of a land mine upon which I very nearly trod when walking point. 'Broom guy' found it and called me back to take a look. I guess it's either your day or it isn't. SW

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:29 pm 

More on the spy camera pigeon program from WW1.

This display represents a recon pigeon at work.
camera9.jpg
camera9.jpg [ 181.76 KiB | Viewed 5342 times ]

Detail shot of a pigeon camera. Still looks a bit heavy for the bird.
camera8.jpg
camera8.jpg [ 111.99 KiB | Viewed 5342 times ]

Pigeon fitted with camera.
camera6.jpg
camera6.jpg [ 212.12 KiB | Viewed 5342 times ]

Article said these are actual images taken in flight. Not a lot of useful info there.
camera5.jpg
camera5.jpg [ 135.28 KiB | Viewed 5342 times ]

Had another pic saved for this forum. Long running debate: do filters help photographs all that much? ;)
camera3 (2).jpg
camera3 (2).jpg [ 103.67 KiB | Viewed 5342 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:09 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

ive had photos that were improved and some that did very little , i had one that it made all the difference from what was trying to be depicted - i never was trying to make something look better but rather trying to capture what i was actually seeing that the film was failing to find - i never really experimented with altering the perception of what i was actually seeing , i do remember others making some really nifty alterations that resulted in spectacular results ,

i wish i had more time back then to concentrate on filters and really use them to their full affect - i used more on the enlarger than i did on the camera , they do make a diference depending on your desired results ,

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:07 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

All kidding aside, on the filters question, the photo above is definite proof of selecting quality glass first, before considering filters.
Contrast is awfully low in both frames, with obvious c/a's.
3rd party lenses can actually be a step backwards in this respect.
It does pay to do your research, before committing to a purchase.

The one that is still a thorn in my side is a decent polarizer.
I really should have one, since so much of my shooting occurs around water...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:48 am 

Yes, I was mostly kidding around with the filter pic.

I think I mentioned I use an old G filter for fog or snow. Also had one to make lights all "sparkly". (Can't recall the actual term) With digital, I can do a few filter effects in editing. SW

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:14 pm 
Major
Major

Hogger,

Who is "Broom Guy"?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:20 am 

^ The grunt assigned to swing the metal detector back & forth searching for mines or IEDs.

Here's the mine. The plastic camera image is too shabby to see the Chinese characters and my partial boot print right beside it. SW
pic1a.jpg
pic1a.jpg [ 19.13 KiB | Viewed 5314 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:39 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Can make out the spring type cap detonator from here- almost clearly.
With the square format and fairly distant focus range, probably a cartridge type camera (eg:)

These usually were factory set to be clearly in focus at 8-12 feet or so.
I have an old Instamatic print of my brother and myself at ages 6 and 7 above my head on the wall here as I type this...
It's actually a bit of a crop from one of the last Kodak's to use "M" type bulbs.
Properly set, and used with-in their distance tolerances, these consumer grade cameras were almost capable of quality images.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:51 am 

Paparazzi - on the job!
camera2.jpg
camera2.jpg [ 147.47 KiB | Viewed 5198 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:11 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Early 60's by the camera's at hand~ almost all Nikon F.
Camera over the guy's shoulder in lower right fore-ground I can't quite make out.
Not a nikon with that much chrome on the face of the camera.
Ever-ready cases used on all the slr's in this pic.

I'm thinking Korean border- especially with all the sandbags.
I have vague recollections of sabre-rattling there that never amounted to anything...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:07 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i know a couple korean war vets that might tell you otherwise about what it amounted to , that said , i only ever had nikons back then and now , there were others that had cannons and pentaxs , both decent cameras ,
my mother worked for porters camera store [accounting] so i got a good deal on my nikons and lenses , similar to what service men got in japan on leave back then ,

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:42 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

By the time the "F" came out in '59, the fighting in Korea was pretty well done.

Add a couple of years to get those bodies and new lenses (Hard to believe f-mount lenses were a new mount at one time, but they were) into the hands of working pro's, and we are looking at a time frame of '63-'65.
I distinctly remember the "Voice of Doom" Lorne Greene discussing border tensions in the area.
I couldn't have been any more than 8 or 9.
There was no intent here to minimize the contributions of those who actually fought there.

Interestingly enough, Dad was supposed to go to Korea. He actually received the posting.
By the time he finished with the de-mobilization in Europe, the air force no longer required his services.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:16 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

did not realize it came out that late - so i agree , the issue might have been your statement - "I have vague recollections of sabre-rattling there that never amounted to anything..." however given the time frame you may be more accurate than i was thinking ,

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:05 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Good to see ya around.

Been pretty quiet here for active participation lately...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:44 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

ive noticed that as well , i actually try to check in every day but i only check the new posts , sometimes i feel i might add something others i dont but i do enjoy keeping up with whats going on ,

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:39 am 

I'm glad you're still around! The core participating group is rather small these days. SW

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next