[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Steyr newbie, can I get a story on my M95?

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:49 pm 
PFC
PFC

I have searched all of the reference stickies at a few forums and some things are still a little confusing to me. My question is, can someone give me some information on my Steyr M95,like where its been, where it was made and such. It would be greatly appreciated!! Here are the details:

First off, its a short little carbine, not a long rifle.
Bore is in excellent condition, I can keep all the shots in a paperplate at 60 yards with german surplus. The only markings above the woodline on the receiver and barrel, on the barrel, the big S, and on the right side the austrian critter mark with a T stamp in a circle. On the receiver its just marked Stery M.95, and the serial number is 1381M.?
The front sight is banded on, bayonet lug, left side stacking hook. The rear band has a large bar type sling loop, the length between the bands is 5 inches. On the left side of the butt there is an old 4 digit serial number crossed out, and on the left its been restamped new to match the receiver. The bolt has been EP'd, the rear sight is very short, and goes from 20, 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, then move the slide out of the way and there is a large 5. If your looking down the sights with the latter laying down, on the left of the V notch is a large 3, all numbers painted tan in color. Under the rear sight base is a marking "-05" and on the receiver its "+05". The blueing is in the best condition I have seen on a military rifle. There are also numerous K's on the small parts. My particular bolt does not snap into the retracted position when I remove it or even josstle it around a bit, which is good. The trigger is no K31, and neither is the bolt operation, but its a very accurate rifle and it was my Christmas present, I fired it yesterday with 15 rounds of "Nazi" ammo for $5 a box, and it functioned fine and was dead on at 60 yards with a 6 o' clock hold on the paperplate. Recoil was awesome, I relaxed after the day by shooting my M44. :lol If anyone can give me some information on my particular rifle I'd greatly appreciate it, as I have been searching all day and have read 100's of paragraphs of info. Oh, the rear sling swivel is also on the left side of the pistol grip, and the underside of the stock does NOT have a plugged area where a swivel might have been. There is also 1 more marking under the T in the circle, it lookes like two pyramids turned sideways and touching one another like an hourglass.
Thank you!

Steyr M95, French Berthier, Chinese SKS, CZ52, Turkish Mauser, K31, M91/30, M44, Ishapore 2A, Savage .22, NEF 12 gauge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:40 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:28 pm 
PFC
PFC

Steyr M95, French Berthier, Chinese SKS, CZ52, Turkish Mauser, K31, M91/30, M44, Ishapore 2A, Savage .22, NEF 12 gauge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:37 pm 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:52 pm 
PFC
PFC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:22 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:36 am 
PFC
PFC

That's just it, there is not date on the barrel, no date anywhere. No scrubbed markings either. I don't have a Kropatschek but I hear they kick really hard. I planned on using the lee mould, I have 110 lbs of lead pipe and wheel weights to melt down! :grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:57 pm 

A Kropatschek kick? Nah! 8) I have a light cast bullet load listed in the reloader forum & it's quite mild.

I just scored some wooden bullet Krop blanks from the trader of another site and will shoot a couple just to see how they are.

Might be the real deal for zombies! ;) SW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:51 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:20 pm 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

Some of the M95's in 8x56R will be found without dates on the barrels. When these rifles were converted to 8x56R from 8x50R, they were usually re-chambered, not rebarreled. In some cases, the barrels must have been not-reusable and new barrels were fitted. The Austrians usually dated these, and that's why we see dates in the 1930's. I have noticed that some of these rifles that were reburbished again by the Bulgarians circa 1939-41 will be found with no barrel dates. My assumption is that when these rifles were inspected prior to rebuild by the Bulgarians, by that time a certain number of existing barrels again were found to be unusable. The barrels that the Bulgarians replaced evidently were not dated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:28 pm 
PFC
PFC

In a nutshell, I made this timeline for my Steyr to get it all figured out:

1917- Was produced as a stutzen short rifle in 8x50r, was used by engineer, artillery man, or signal man soldiers until 1930.
1930- by this time many many rifles, stutzens and carbines were being updated with new metric sights, sight hoods and being rechambered to 8x56r. My barrel was probably worn, so they put a brand new "circle T" 8x56r barrel on it that included the oddly numbered short sights.
1938, germany annexed Austria, germans took my Stutzen and and gave it to their allies, the Bulgarians. They then removed the sight hoods, and by now my stock had seen use from year 1917 to 1938 so it was beat to a pulp, so they probably very quickly slapped on an incorrect carbine stock.
After WWII I imagine it was reblued and another carbine stock added and renumbered AGAIN to make it nice looking for import to collectors in the USA.

I finally have it figured out now! Its easier to understand than the mosin story!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:42 am 
PFC
PFC

Pics will have to wait until tomorrow again, my dad has to use a card reader on the memory card with the pics on it to get them off and onto a disk, he uses his friends card reader at work on his computer, but his friend was gone today, hopefully he will be there tomorrow. If so, then I can have the pics posted tomorrow during dinner when dada gets home. :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:11 am 
PFC
PFC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:50 am 
PFC
PFC

Okay, thanks for that Don. (my grandpa's name is don). I promise pics on the 1st! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:31 pm 
PFC
PFC

Here are some pics of my correct collection, and the Steyr in there somewhere. I had just gotten out of the garage using some spray paint earlier so my feet are black in one picture. :D

Image[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:37 pm 
PFC
PFC

So is the stock correct for it?
Thanks for the Info, do you need more pics?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:47 pm 
PFC
PFC

Here are more pics anyway, So its a stutzen in a stutzen stock. How much is she worth? I haven't done anything to it but clean up the cosmoline, the bore is excellent after shooting then a scrubbing.

Need more pics? The plugs are under the barrel bands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:59 am 
PFC
PFC