[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Springfield Mod 87M worth

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:04 am 
Colonel
Colonel

I thought I had posted about my rifle but was unable to find the info on it. What is the worth on one of these? As far as I can tell there is no serial number visible on it and it has the look of a trainer rifle.

The last one I saw sold for over 1000 and was not as nice as mine. Is this the norm on these?

Thanks

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Last edited by Mybusa on Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:45 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

PM Kaintuck - he collects Stevens. I recall he said these are not cheep. I saw one locally for 250 but it was soon gone. SW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:05 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i really like that one - looks to have simulated the garand if im seeing right :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:20 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I bought it because it looked like a Garand and I had a spare stock for it that I had no clue as to what kind of gun the stock fit. I also liked the pre drilled and plugged areas for a scope mount.

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject: 87's.........
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:35 am 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

mark,
the guns run anywhere between $350 to $600......depending on the buyer/ and condition....looks as if someone drilled more receiver holes in yours. there will be a number somewhere on it, not a seril number but a production number, usually a 3 digit. i still don't have one in my group~ i lack 4 types to complete my humble clackity clacks..... :-?
here's some info 'fer ya~and a discussion~

http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsfo ... 562?page=1

“GillGuns”or “Clackity~Clacks:
The 87's were a mostly cheaper model with wood stained to look walnut, they were copied from the 1936-1947 model's 76 and 076(best sights). Anything buckhorn, was supposed to be a better rifle ~ wood, sights, etc. Pre-war models sport the checkering on the grip areas. The different models had small changes, i.e. trigger guards, painted stocks, "tenite" plastic stock etc. the models with the "square" receiver ends are: A,AB,AT,B,C,D,K(carbine model). The rifle was changed somewhere around 1958 to have a sloped rear receiver endcap, but it still screwed in....models 87E,KE,J,N,187E,187H,188H~
And we also know that the war era spawned the 87M, A HIGH PRICED garrand copy useing the 87's basic features, with special sights....yeah! Try and find one of those babies! $$$ cha~ching!
"It is probable that in this time (1940) the Springfield 87M was developed as a military-type training rifle."
"Its walnut stock and handguard resembled the Garrand's wood; its tubular magazine had to be withdrawn for loading; its utility was questionable and its production run short. The 87M is seldom encountered today in original configuration. After the war the 87M resurfaced in the Sears Roebuck catalog as the Ranger Model 101.16."
There was also a short lived "gallery" shorts only model 872(Savage 602) circa 1940~
The "clip" models were the same receiver etc as the mag tube models...with different lower cut-outs, only named 85's....85,85A,85K(carbine model)circa 1939. Similar models were 57,& 057 circa 1939-1947, and the 850.
Sears had their models stamped ranger 101 and stuff… westerfield had a 87 marked 808. coast to coast 288, westpoint 287, hiawatha 189-J, hiawatha 189-N & westerfield 808-N. 87J=B-964 belknap, 87N=B-964 belknap.
they look good when they scope mounted with the T and N mounts and a old weaver 29S(1937) or the cheaper weavers G (1947) B (1953) series. (Try Numrich Gunparts - I bought a Weaver accessory scope mount base plate which according to instruction sheet fits many of the Savage 6A variants - it matched the predrilled/plugged holes on our "Ranger 101.16/ Savage 6A" perfectly. Part Number 573370 - not shown in their on-line catalog.)
Savage bought out Stevens in 1920. Savage made the 6 and 7 series~6A,AB,B,C (cheekpiece model) D,S (factory installed peepsights) The 7 was the "clip" model~7, 7A. The factory scoped models were 6E,6H,6DL,6J,6M,6N,6JDL,6P.
The 6D came out in 1955. It had a grooved receiver for the tip-off mounts.
So, I THINK that the 87 started in 1938 and ended with model changes 1958. These changes appeared to be the sloped rear cap, less "fins' on the left of the receiver, and wood finishes.
I think Savage started selling scopes and mounts in 1936 and D&T'ed the receivers in 1937. The receivers were D&T'ed with two hole for the Weaver T mount.
After WWII Weaver came out with the N mount which had four holes.
Looking in the scope book, I see that the "S" mount was first used in 1934 and the "T" was added in 1939.
Both scopes line up on the C/L of the bore. Mounting hole spacing of both is
approx. 2.35" CTC. The S-1 is called the low (C/L to T/Receiver=.5"), and the
S-3 (C/L to T/Receiver=1.0") is the high mount. These mounts are shown on page
263 & 269 in Nick Stroebel's book, "Old Rifle Scopes. I don't know if there ever
was a S-2 mount, or how it differed from the S-1 & S-3 mounts.
The 150 Savage peep sight with two holes will fit those two holes on the left rear receiver in the 87’s & 85’s.

Notice too......as we get toward the end of the era, the cheaper manufacturing techniques...the extractors are no longer spring loaded little hooks, but a one piece spring clip....also the EARLY 87's had no peep sight or "n" scope mount holes on the receiver ~BUT, nothing is sure here....ALL records are lost, I have been taking notes and old magazine adds to get my info~and last but not least.....the company used what it had.....as I have a factory 87K with a barrel mark "D" on it. Marks on barrels may help too in the manufacture date~Utica NY until 1947, Chicopee Falls until 1960, Westfield after that.

Thanks be to’ Savage99’, & ‘Sarge’ & ’Fatstrat’ and others~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:28 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Thanks for the loads of info. I took the rifle apart today and there was a number under the butt plate of _03. The stock and handguard are marked 32. There is a patent date that dates at 1941. Only other number to be found was a 4 on the barrel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:38 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

interesting only set up for auto loading with the long rifle cartrige , but it states you can shoot the long and shorts - must have to manualy opperate the bolt to eject , but wonder if it will load those from the magazine ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:19 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:29 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:10 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:41 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i was going to put you onto that albion , it was a nice one , i knew it would go quick but i hadnt thought that quick :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:50 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:05 am 
The Knife
The Knife

:welcome: Bbqznbeer glad you found us. The scope set up doesn't look too bad.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:55 pm 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

nice!

*slobber slobber*... i haven't found one yet....but someday i hope to complete out the 87 line....the M "garand" will continue to be too much $$$ for me~ i will have to luck onto one~ :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:50 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

me eather ............ :(

but thank you for posting , it gives me hope , and WELCOME TO THE FOLD :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:47 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

well , i happened upon one , here with my 22cal converted 03A3-4gery

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:28 pm 

Hi Im a new member here . I also have an 87 M new to me .
the number on but plate is -26 . is this batch number ?
apparently not a cosher military trainer per se , but a nice addition to my other military trainers non the less
along side big brother
a few of my other military trainers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:55 pm 

Sweet assortment!! And welcome to the site!! :bigrin: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: SW

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:51 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

nice collection - i have all but that martini and the no8 , both are on my list but i dont see them often here , i need to get my 87M out to the range one day soon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:40 am