[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - M1A's

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: M1A's
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:26 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

As long as there is one for Garand pictures, here is one for M1A's

NM match sights, double pillar bedded, match trigger, Kreiger barrel. One sweet shooting rifle.

Post subject: Re: M1A's
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:34 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Ok, sounds good to me.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth ...... firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. When firearms go, all goes..."
GEORGE WASHINGTON

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:40 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Here's mine set up with a 3rd gen mount & Springfiled 6X rangefinding scope

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm 
Mushroom Maniac
Mushroom Maniac

I want one of those so bad.
Maybe around tax time

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:06 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I'll get you a good deal on one :bigrin:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:23 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

im game , ive switched scopes to the leatherwood but this is the photo i have ......springfeild M1A1 and military walnut stock [for dressup occaasions - yes i do have the upper handguard as well , and ill get it switched soon]these are well worth the saving and effort to find - it would be my ultimate go-to rifle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:02 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

How has the ART scope worked out for you? I've been meaning to ask but keep forgetting.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:46 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

ive been so tied up with helping at the range that i think i helped in sighting in perhaps 200 scopes , not one of them belonged to me , ive yet to get it to the range ,

it is mounted , i had to pick up a riser to clear the rear sight , but i think its gonna be just fine , ill shoot a photo soon and post it ,

im liking the new setup a lot - looking forward to warm weather

and ill post when i get it to the range and sighted in

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:49 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

Hi,

Is it true that the early Springfield Armory M1As were made up using M1 receivers and surplus GI M14 parts? If so, are those early rifles more desirable than what is being offered today?

Next question: If an M1A could be made from an existing M1 receiver, what needs to be done to the receiver?

Thanks!

Richard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:07 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I think they were surplus parts until they ran out. Now they have to produce new barrels & it has driven the price up.

Don't know on the second question I've got no clue

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:22 pm 
Major
Major

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:59 am 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...M-14man comes thru again... :bigrin: :D :bigrin: :D :bigrin: :D great info.... ;)........you da man... :bigrin:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:02 am 
Corporal
Corporal

Thanks for your replies.

I wasn't looking to run down anyone who gave me misinformation. I wanted to know more about the differences between the M1A and the M1, and where the receivers for the M1A came from.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:37 pm 
Major
Major

Once they decided to make the M1A commercially, they designed investment cast molds based on the blueprints of the milled receivers.I didn't expect you to confront the teller, but I wonder sometimes how these rumors get around when they are obviously different if one has visual access to both. I realize that you were asking an honest question, not knowing the answer. Who ever informed you though converted that mis-knowledge to a statement of probability. These commercial investment cast receivers did have surplus GI M14 parts in the beginning until the parts started getting hard to get.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:12 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

and this is the key to the answer if you are in any way looking at an older M1A , the GI parts kits everything but the receiver are much desired [would love to have one myself]

but the receiver on an M14 is FA and as such is a machine gun - then & now , every other part includeing the bits that controled it are fair game , as long as you dont have an original receiver ,

any reweld would be suspect in my book as the prison sentance is quite long and in spite of the fact that murderers -rapists - child molesters - and drugies get suspended or paroled , you can bet your a$$ will be in jail if you have a machine gun , after all your potential is far worse than their reality

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:52 am 
Corporal
Corporal

Thanks! Were any of the early M1As built with forged receivers?

I'm really looking for a subjective opinion regarding the best example to look for at a show or at one of the on-line gun auctions. Would like to become educated.

A friend proudly showed me his newly acquired 'M14' he picked up at a gun show in Toledo. 'Isn't that a purrty one?," he asked me. As I looked at it, the fine stamped print 'MADE IN CHINA' caught my eye. I told him it sure was 'purrty', and he was pleased. It was pretty.

I had mixed feelings about the rifle having been made in China. I also did not know it wasn't an M14. I didn't know much of anything about it, or any other M14 or M1A.

On another blog site, a post mentioned the strength of the forged receivers and bolts in the GI M1 in comparison to the cast receivers of the M1A. I have three M1s, and think they are fine battle rifles. I carried an M1 while standing watch in the Far East. (We were issued M1s or 1911s in the USN)

I agree there is misinformation about these rifles.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:29 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I saw an older Springfield at a show yesterday for $950.00, that the was the best price I have seen on one lately.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:31 pm 
Major
Major

Some of the commercial receivers were forged, and not cast. I believe LMR and Smith made forged receivers.The Fulton website has a good analysis on the Chinese guns, and their receivers were excellent. It was the add on parts, barrel and bolt that were less than desirable.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:58 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i think you would be very happy with a norinco[chinese] the rifles were made well and ive not heard anything bad about them ,

having said that ......im like you , i needed an american name on my M14 type rifle so i bought springfeild ,

if i could have afforded a fulton , smith enterprise , LMR , i would have gone there in a heartbeat , im very fond of the SE ,

keep in mind if you intend to scope it there is a whole lot more research you need to do ,

check this site out -
http://www.imageseek.com/m1a/

and here -
http://m14tfl.com/upload/

and for the scope mount id look at this -
http://www.sadlak.com/si_rifle_parts_main.html

but i went with the A.R.M.S. mount on mine - i compromised there too

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:37 am 
Corporal
Corporal

I enlisted into the M14 Firing Line. I requested permission to come on board. When they said, "Permission Granted", I immediately felt at home.

Thank you Square Ten!