[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Question on Sabot slugs ?

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:47 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

I don't know about foster slugs and the rifled barrel as I have fired a few in mine just to see if they would group. I am going to get a cheap shotgun press and equipment to load sabots because of the price. Will have over $200 in the initial start. The 385 gr .458 remington bullets are $61 a 100 retail.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:12 pm 
Grand Pooh-Bah
Grand Pooh-Bah

The sabot slugs would be the prefered slug for accuracy but the others can be used. Any slug will, as with a regular rifle, fowl the barrel over time. If you would prefer to use only sabot rounds, buy them off-season. Many online sources carry them year round.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:26 pm 
Grand Pooh-Bah
Grand Pooh-Bah

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:53 am 
The Knife
The Knife

Just did my taxes and will get a refund so I will have some money. I am going to get a Lee Load All ll, a roll crimper and vice and the components except powder and primers from Midway. Will get powder and primers locally.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:39 pm 
Grand Pooh-Bah
Grand Pooh-Bah

Glad I stocked up on reload supplies when I did. I hit the Grand Nationals the last day of the last time in Vandalia. Bought 25 bags of #8 magnum shot for $13.75 a bag(haven't seen any for under $30 in a very long time),a 12# keg of IMR700X for $125 plus tax. 2 5000 count cases of Winchester 209's for $50 apiece. When I set up the 9000g I can have a really good time.

Went to Bass Pro with a buddy of mine last week and they had shot for $49 just about hit the floor. Powder over $20 a pound and primers must have been gold plated.

Rad you may find some bargains at the gun shows. I found some large pistol primers at the Goodman show last weekend for $35 a 1000. I have checked all over the internet for them and found zip.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:49 am 
The Knife
The Knife

I don't have a shot shell loading manual so still have to figure what powder I will need. More shot reloading supplies the most other stuff. One person has a lot of components and I usually just walk past but will look a little closer this time.
Gun show this weekend.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:22 pm 
Grand Pooh-Bah
Grand Pooh-Bah

I got the big book on reloads. some loads for Sabot rounds. If you know where you are headed or what guage you are going with but most of the loads listed for the foster type slug show loads using Unique powder. There are a fair number of loads shown for IMR 800X. I have never used Unique and I have tried the 800X and found it to be very dirty(bore looked like a sewer pipe after shooting). If you are planing on Sabot slugs most loads listed for using Universal Clays or Blue Dot. There are fold crimp loads (standard to shot shells) for 525gr Lyman Sabot for Remington Premier cases(same case as Remington Nitro or STS and I have a ton of these) with Winchester WAA12 or WAA12R. Winchester 209 primers are usually fairly easy to find and a lot of loads use them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:19 am 
The Knife
The Knife

Hodgdon's site shows Universal and HS-6 powders but it just lists lead slugs. I will be using a 385 gr (7/8 oz) sabot.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:46 pm 
Grand Pooh-Bah
Grand Pooh-Bah

My charts show data for the 525gr and 475gr in 12 ga and 345gr in 20 ga. With loads using projectile weights not listed using load data for closest heavier projectile can be used safely. When projectile weights go down powder charges go up and pressure drops but velocity increases. You can start with smaller powder charge and work up to where you are comfortable and performance is acceptable.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:36 pm 
Grand Pooh-Bah
Grand Pooh-Bah

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:52 pm 
Grand Pooh-Bah
Grand Pooh-Bah

Practice with both is a good idea. You may find the performance of one load vs another is enough to prefer one over the other. Sometimes you will even notice a difference between manufacturers. So shoot as much as your shoulder says to. :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:31 am 
The Knife
The Knife

Herr Shell

Once I get set up for the sabots you and Mario will just have to come up and we can try them out, after it warms up some though.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:52 am 
The Knife
The Knife

Mondays are out till after the first week of April and fridays are out till the end of april as I am bowling those days but any other day will work.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:32 am 
Grand Pooh-Bah
Grand Pooh-Bah

If they make it Wed or Thur maybe I can drag my but up there too. Fridays is bowling day for me too.(I bowl on Wednesday too but we have a spare bowler on that team).