[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - M1A or Garand?

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Which one would you rather own?
M1A 33%  33%  [ 18 ]
Garand 53%  53%  [ 29 ]
Neither one. I'd rather work a bolt 15%  15%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 55
 Post subject: Re: M1A or Garand?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:31 am 
I like them both .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:12 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Wow. This thread goes back a ways! I didn't have an M1A back then when it first started, only an M1. (Still don't, have an Armscorp M14). Now It's the rifle I have been shooting the most. Been getting ready for an upcoming postal shoot. Team practice this Sunday also.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth ...... firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. When firearms go, all goes..."
GEORGE WASHINGTON

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:44 am 
OUTLAW

hmmm seen that gear somewhere before :lol

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What a Ride Image

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:25 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

I have fired both rifles extensively and they compare equally in most areas. However, like most of you know the M1A/M-14 is a modified version of the Garand and uses 308 ammo, which is a more efficent and adaptable round with similar power to the 30.06. Both Firearms have earned their respect and the Garand was one of the major reasons that our soldiers during WWll were succesfull. It is the progenitor of the M-14. Ultimately, I would favor the M-14, mostly due to it being the rifle I was militarily trained with an used during most of my tour in exotic southeast asia Oct.1966 to Nov.1967. To add another element to this, in my opinion, both of these great rifles are better in many respects to the M-16/AR-15,M-4, when it comes to power, distance and accuracy, everything being equal.
Respectfully, Ron

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:30 pm 
PFC
PFC

I trained with the Garand long ago, and bought a CMP M1 a few years back. Actually bought two and kept the one I liked best. I completely agree with General Patton's evaluation of the rifle! If I had to go into combat, I would rather carry a Garand than one of the .22 caliber popguns the Army uses these days. :-(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:00 pm 
OUTLAW

didn't vote as I like the M60D/mini-gun best :lol

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What a Ride Image

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:00 pm 
OUTLAW

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:07 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:34 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I chose neither because I feel the Garand was uneccessary, not that I have anything against bolt actions ( :wink: ).
We already had the BAR. All we needed to do was modify the design slightly and history would've remembered that gun as the world's first Assault Rifle.
However, if I had to choose, I'd go with the M1A.
Its an improved Garand and served our troops well for many years.

Dean

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:52 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Attachments:
Predator_JesseVentura001.jpg
Predator_JesseVentura001.jpg [ 32.72 KiB | Viewed 9531 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:59 pm 
OUTLAW

what it doesn't show you is the nicad battery pack for the 28VDC power supply and the 4,000 rd mag drum.now ol jesse is bad ass but he would need 2 buds for him to haul it around.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:46 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Well, the white truck is bringing me my M1 Garand tomorrow, so I guess that's the one I will get first.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:32 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Never been able to make up my mind so I have to go with both.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:34 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i did too - but im with pete on that mini-gun , i think he loaded those in country , and he knew his ordnance , i miss him a lot ,

but then i like them all -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:20 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Nice progression Asquare.

These like to hang out together.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:30 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

damn - there ya go , way to resurect a thread my friend , those look very nice , one day we do hav-ta visit the range

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:26 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

They do look good. I see your M1A isn't a Springfield Armory job. No black crinkle finish paint and rubber buttpad on your synth stock

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete