[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - stevens model 44

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: stevens model 44
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:52 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

I purchased a stevens m-44 a couple months ago in 25 rimfire. COW says the bore is .251 but this is not the whole truth my bore slugs .257. maybe the bore is .251 and the groove is .257. anyway i found a gunsmith who converted it to center fire and chambered it to 25/20 win. NOW DONT YELL AT ME.... i know this is not a strong action but i have been shooting and reloading for over 40 years and i know how to load it down to black powder pressures. so far i have only fired it once in my garage used lyman 89 gr. bulllet with 2.9 gr. of byse. chamber is real nice and the gunsmith really did a nice job. It is funny how something gets printed like the .251 bore diameter and it becomes writtten in stone. I would think that just slugging the bore is would be in order to remove any doubt. anyway i will post results when i get to the range later this week. joe gifford aka argie1891

Post subject: Re: stevens model 44
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:39 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Nic grab Joe. I've been looking for one ofthose in 25-20 but single shot not winchester (plenty enough leversfor that calibre)

Just so you know PICTURES ARE APPRECIATED AROUND THESE HERE PARTS :lol

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:02 am 
Corporal
Corporal

i am going to try to post a pic of the model 44 i plan on a complete make over of this little rifle in the near future. keith 003.jpg
keith 003.jpg [ 341.01 KiB | Viewed 12912 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:03 am 
Corporal
Corporal

wow that was easy to add a pic.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:33 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

very nice - looks like a great one to be able to shoot

ive been looking for a stevens favorite in 22 short or long rifle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:11 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

Looks good as is.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:24 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

the stock has a few splits and the wood has shrunk over the years. the tang area of these stocks is fairly thin. i have used bedding compound to fix some of the splits but am afraid to really spread one crack too much. i used a razor blade to work coupound into the splits, and it seems to be holding well. i have not been able to find a site that lists dates of manufacture. if anyone knows of a place to find out manufacturing dates i would be a happy camper. joe gifford aka argie1891

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:41 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I have a Marlin 27-S in 25 rf, an it is also a .257 bore. Should be a fun shooter! SW

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:23 am 
Corporal
Corporal

too bad the marlin couldnt be rechambered. the action would be a bit short. i like guns that i can get ammo for. but the marlin 27 is just so neat if i fould one at a good price i would spring for it. joe gifford aka argie1891

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:12 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

I have about ten Stevens Favourites in .22 through to .32 and boxes full of parts. One of the Favourites I have is one of the first Model 1894 Favourites ever made as it has fourteen differences from one made around 1907 and it also has an exceptionally early serial number 40455. Nearly every Stevens favourite has a kletter followed by a three digit number - these are later than my one above. Now the Stevens 44 is merely an overgrown Favourite and both are dervied from Horrs patent of 1885. This patent provided the basis for the first rifles except that there were quite radical changes made between the patent and the production. The smaller rifle was called the 'Small sideplate' model 1889 and was the 'Favourite' and the larger rifle was the 'Large sideplate' Model of 1889 and was the Ideal. The ideal was the forerunner of the Stevens 44 and Stevens 44 1/2 Only 1500 Model 1889 Stevens Favourite Sideplates were made. In 1894 the sideplates were done away with and the rifle became known as the Model of 1894. Between 1894 and 1902 I think I have managed to work out fourteen changes were made so the variations are quite numerous.
The Favourite came out in .22rf, .25rf, and .32rf with the .32rf a bit later (I think)
The Ideal came out in .22rf .25-20cf, .32-20cf, .32-35cf, .32-40cf and .38-55 cf
You can see then that the action was quite a strong one to contain safely the pressures of the .38-55 and there is therefore some allowance for rebarrelling or reboring and rechambering to a number of good cartridges.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:10 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

interesting post i really just love my stevens 44 it shoots well and looks so neat. i would by a favorit if i could find one at a decent price with a good bore. joe gifford

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:03 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:39 am 
Corporal
Corporal

they are not hard for me to import i imported some martini henry cadet rifles from austrialia in 2001 if the price is right i will send money and import form to our government and get the ball rolling. joe gifford

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:37 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:45 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

I am still getting used to a computer so dont know if these photos will even get onto the site but they show the difference between one of the first 1894 Favourites I picked up the other day in .25 and the usual 1894s I have found

Attachments:
File comment: Comparison of a very early 1894 and a later one
Stevens Favourite M1894 (2).JPG
Stevens Favourite M1894 (2).JPG [ 1.71 MiB | Viewed 12862 times ]
File comment: There are 14 differences other than the chamberings - only one is a .25
Stevens 1894 types 1 & 2.JPG
Stevens 1894 types 1 & 2.JPG [ 1.78 MiB | Viewed 12862 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:41 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

ttt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:21 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I've wanted one of these for some time.........one day I 'spose

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:24 am 
Corporal
Corporal

i just picked up another action. it is in need of a couple springs and is is in 22 rim fire. someone screwed a 22 blr on it and i am going to re-ferb it as soon as i can afford all the blr.springs and stock. my first one is complete just need to blue the blr and i want to color case the action to make it look like new. joe gifford

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:31 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

You know weed need pics :bigrin:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:34 am 
Corporal
Corporal

yes i do and i will get them on the way tomorrow. damn i just was too lazy to do it tonight. hang on they will be there by this time tomorrow. joe gifford